Post a reply

practicing alone when marmite

Postby snooker loopy

I'm not a very good snooker player but I enjoy playing. Unfortunately absolutely nobody I know shares this interest, will I just look like a sad loser if I go to a snooker club for a couple of hours on my own?

Re: practicing alone when marmite

Postby Firthy

I have recently joined my local club and practice on my own a couple of nights a week. I did feel a bit daft at first, but I very quickly realised I wasn't the only lone player. The club even has a discounted rate for single players, so it's perfectly normal.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Of course it's normal. It's essential to practice alone to become a better snooker player. Playing line ups and doing practice routines teaches you a lot. You don't learn very much by just playing matches with friends. You might get to know some people at the club who want to play with you.

Postby vodkadiet

snooker loopy wrote:I'm not a very good snooker player but I enjoy playing. Unfortunately absolutely nobody I know shares this interest, will I just look like a sad loser if I go to a snooker club for a couple of hours on my own?

Did you make your high break of 9 in a line up?

Postby Sickpotter

Every single top player spends 1000s of hours practising alone, it's really the best way to improve your game.

Everyone starts somewhere with snooker, 95% start out in the "marmite" category.

Making the game look easy is the result of 1000s of hours of solo practice.

Postby Simone

Holden Chinaski wrote:Of course it's normal. It's essential to practice alone to become a better snooker player. Playing line ups and doing practice routines teaches you a lot. You don't learn very much by just playing matches with friends. You might get to know some people at the club who want to play with you.

I think that line up doesn´t just teach you a lot, but it is a very interesting way to practice. Many players who would otherwise find practising snooker boring or too demanding will very likely find line up a way to go. It brings a discipline without sacrifising the flair and creativity even at the slightest.

Postby Sickpotter

Simone wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Of course it's normal. It's essential to practice alone to become a better snooker player. Playing line ups and doing practice routines teaches you a lot. You don't learn very much by just playing matches with friends. You might get to know some people at the club who want to play with you.

I think that line up doesn´t just teach you a lot, but it is a very interesting way to practice. Many players who would otherwise find practising snooker boring or too demanding will very likely find line up a way to go. It brings a discipline without sacrifising the flair and creativity even at the slightest.

The line up is a tremendous practice drill that helps you with positional play. In fact, it's likely the simplest drill to help with positional play...strange you feel it doesn't teach you much :shrug:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sickpotter wrote:
Simone wrote:

The line up is a tremendous practice drill that helps you with positional play. In fact, it's likely the simplest drill to help with positional play...strange you feel it doesn't teach you much :shrug:

I think you misunderstood her post. She was saying doing line ups does teach you a lot and is very interesting.