Post a reply

worsening headache while playing

Postby jamesg1985

Hi, I have chronic headaches which I have had for a long while that get worse when I play snooker. I think it's due to the hyper extension of the neck which is involved in playing. It's annoying because I haven't played for a few months because of this. After a short while I start to feel spaced out and lose concentration. I think it's cause my neck muscles are tight as it is due to my chronic headaches so I'm aggravating that by playing. Does anyone have advice? I think my stance is fine. I'm not sure what to do. If I were to play a lot would it get better perhaps? As in maybe the neck would strengthen. Any thoughts are appreciated as I enjoy the game and it would be a shame to give it up, thanks

Re: worsening headache while playing

Postby Sickpotter

Hi James,

Not that it can't be your neck but I think you might want to look into another possible cause......your eyes.

If your vision isn't the best continually straining your eyes playing snooker will result in a headache.

Do you find you get a headache watching TV for any period of time? Reading?

Have you had an eye exam?

Postby jamesg1985

Hi,
thanks, but I wear contact lenses while playing, and I've had the prescription checked recently so it can't be that. I'm pretty sure it's due to tight muscles in the neck which are aggravated by playing cue sports. I can feel it when going down on the shot, it spreads from my neck, up the back of my head. It's really annoying because otherwise I love playing. I have chronic headaches anyway and snooker makes them worse, watching TV doesn't affect the headaches.

Postby Sickpotter

Go see a chiropractor, they can fix most alignment issues. If it's truly your neck that's the issue you likely have something out of place.