Post a reply

Snooker Table

Postby Gnomy

Hi Folks ,
I am quite new to snooker ,
I started playing the game 4-5 months ago and , it was love at first try (I've always wanted to play it though) .Ever since , I have been getting a high from the sport , be it videos on youtube or by playing it.
Okay , So here's my problem ,
For most of the year, except one month , I am stuck in my college( I am from India )
The thing is the table they have is a nightmare , the baize is the problem really , not many play the sport here , so is uncared for.
For example , the deepest screws I play on a proper table at a pace with which I can come off 2 cushions , barely manages to stun the ball , or just screws it a tee bit.
I am sure that , the table will continue to get worse over the years , and this concerns me .
Any thoughts on how I can still improve my game ?

Re: Snooker Table

Postby Roland

It's hard, it's partly the same over here because it's so hard to get on a decent table that plays well. The problem is the cost of reclothing and most clubs want to make the cloth last as long as possible i.e. 2-5 years and inevitably your game ends up being based on playing the table you practice on, and if the only table you have access to is very badly maintained with no nap and bad cushions then you're on a hiding to nothing. You need to hope there's a big event in India and Pankaj and Aditya do well and are on television so that your college recloth the table, but then you'll probably find it too hard to get a slot because everyone will want to play on it!

The only thing I can suggest is to either find a different table to practice on or just use this one to practice your potting and stun game and accept that on a better table you will be able to move the white around much easier, and then take your practice onto a better table every once in a while to see how you're progressing. A crappy table is better than no table when all is said and done, just don't get too hung up with trying to screw back as far as you're used to, try and base your scoring game around the limitations of the table.

Postby Gnomy

Thanks for that ,
And I can't believe that you guys face a similar situation too :O
And true that , my college is among the very few colleges/towns to have a snooker table , (even back home in my locale , the club has only 9 feet tables ,and hence my long potting was considerably better than the similar skilled players :)
So I guess I do have nothing to complain for any way
So , Cheers :)

Postby Roland

You will always have to pay to play on the best tables. Sure there will be some good air conditioned clubs in the nearest cities with decent tables but you'll have to spend a lot. It is the one biggest annoyances of playing snooker on club tables, that you don't get to play on those which allow you to play your natural game. The tables in the club I play at are decent enough, but when you play on a proper match table you never want to play on anything else and everything else is a let down.

Postby Gnomy

Haha , thats true ,
back in my college its practically free :P
I'll just concentrate on my potting for now , I guess , and not worry about the screw backs too much , and BTW my friend here tells me that the cloth was changed only last year :O
I pity those who played here before that :P