Post a reply

alignement problem please help

Postby mrsnooker000

hi
first of all thanks for this forum finally i found a forum about snooker online.

i have this problem that is caused either by my stance, or the way i turn my body while getting down

1: i sight the shot
2: i lift up and put my right foot on line of the aim, at this point cue is bang online
3: as soon as i lift my left foot to move forward to plant it the cue goes off ( by the way at the same time here i also turn my upper body too )
4: most of the time 80% the cue butt is offline ( i put 2 chalks and i clearly can see that the cue goes off as soon as i lift my left leg and move forward to plant it.
5: i try my best to hold the grip hand online at this point, and yeah i try to bring chest to cue, but the cue goes off way too early

my body turn is in sync when i am about to lift my left foot and about to plant.

i watched a youtube video,says you can turn the body first then walk in or you can walkin then just before you get down turn the body ( tried both methods but still cue butt offline)

i really appreciate your knowledge, time and experience
thank you

Re: alignement problem please help

Postby Johnny Bravo

mrsnooker000 wrote:hi
first of all thanks for this forum finally i found a forum about snooker online.

i have this problem that is caused either by my stance, or the way i turn my body while getting down

1: i sight the shot
2: i lift up and put my right foot on line of the aim, at this point cue is bang online
3: as soon as i lift my left foot to move forward to plant it the cue goes off ( by the way at the same time here i also turn my upper body too )
4: most of the time 80% the cue butt is offline ( i put 2 chalks and i clearly can see that the cue goes off as soon as i lift my left leg and move forward to plant it.
5: i try my best to hold the grip hand online at this point, and yeah i try to bring chest to cue, but the cue goes off way too early

my body turn is in sync when i am about to lift my left foot and about to plant.

i watched a youtube video,says you can turn the body first then walk in or you can walkin then just before you get down turn the body ( tried both methods but still cue butt offline)

i really appreciate your knowledge, time and experience
thank you

Your method seems very weird to me. I'm a great ball potter (by amateur standards of course), yet I do none of the things you said.
I don't aling any of my feet with the line of the aim, I just lean forward into the shot. I also don't aim while I'm up, I am once I'm sat/bent down and adjust my feet after that.
Given that I'm not textbook and I started out as a pool player (hence my weird stance by snooker standards), my way of doing things might not be right for you.
But I don't think it will hurt you to at least try something similar, meaning you should stop trying to aling your feet, just get down on the shot in a way that feels natural and only after that aim with your cue. That way, the cue should be in line with the shot.
Also, the cue close to the chest is only used in snooker. In pool, it's not close at all, cause you need to be able to generate power and use side spin.
Here's a video of a pool world champion explain his stance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnU154o_YUY&t=366s

Perhaps you can adjust this or tweak it a bit so it helps your snooker.

Postby Sickpotter

If you've got some video footage it would be helpful because we really need to identify at what point it goes off line.

A few things to try.....

Make sure your bridge hand is in line with your right foot.

Try rotating your body first rather than a the same time as you plant your foot, should help reduce cue deviation. In line with this would be reducing rotation, you could be over-rotating. Check your alignment after rotation but before planting your foot.

You could also try squaring your stance, rather than your left foot going forward move it directly left.

You don't mention which way the butt is deviating offline. Does it go outwards causing alignment to point left or inwards moving alignment to point right?

Postby mrsnooker000

its mix, the butt is 70% to left and 30% to right.
example: when i put a chalk on black cushion and put cueball on brown spot, i try to hit the chalk but i cannot hit that chalk full. sometimes i hit it thin or thin.
another example: i put the blue on blue spot, and cueball on brown spot i play up and down to get a double kiss. but i get 1 out of 10 double kiss.

another example:the blue on its spot, and cueball on yellow spot to pot that long blue, but i miss to the left of the pocket.
but
when the cueball is on green spot and blue on its spot, i miss it to right of the pocket.

not sure what is going on

Postby Sickpotter

I would say you're hitting the cue ball off center, sometimes a little left, sometimes a ilttle right.

Try putting reds to either side of each of the color spots brown through black. At first leave a good sized gap between the reds, 2-3 balls is a good margin of error to start. If you can hit it up and down the corridor without disturbing any reds your basic action is good. If you disturb a red you'll know which side of the cue ball you struck. Narrow the margin of error as your skill improves.

The one issue with the up and down the spots drill is that if you don't have a pristine table (very few clubs do, usually reserved for the top players) it's very easy to get incorrect feedback. For example any indentation of the spot can easily cause deviation of the cue ball through no fault of yours. To mitigate bad feedback from this drill due to spot issue, move the corridor of reds a ball left or right of the line of spots.

On your example of blue from the green or yellow spot I would say it's a simple overcut that's happening. That said, it's too difficult to determine if it's the result of an off center strike when you're cutting a ball.

Better to choose dead straight shots to test your alignment. If the straight shots work but the cuts are always missing you have more of an aiming issue than alignment per say.

Do you cue directly under your chin? Perhaps you've got a dominant eye developing...

Postby mrsnooker000

thank you for reply
i respect your tip, but unfortunately i have tried what you are suggesting already. practiced for along time and this practice is not fixing the issue.

the problem is that i can play up and down and i use spotted white too, and it shows no side but if i put a chalk or even a black above the black cushion , i cannot hit that object full

i think in the previous post i said cueball on yellow and green spot. what i meant was. blue on its spot. cueball next to yellow spot (and i miss the long straight blue to left of pocket) and when the cueball is next to green spot, i miss the blue to the right cushion. both shots are long straight blue.

another example: when i put the cut a ball to right center pocket, i cut it thin 10 out of 10. never thick.

but to left center pocket, i cut thin and thick.

i dont put side at all. because i practice with spotted white and i can see from those long blues that when i play stop shots, the spotted white does not spin. but i miss shots

so i neither put side when in address position, or when i strike . i delivery straight.

i feel like my grip is offline or cue butt is offline.
its strange feeling. feels like my cue is not in a straight line. although i hit center cueball
example: when i play up and down i can clearly see no spin on spotted cueball. but the cueball still comes towards right when played from brown spot area.

not sure whats going on
i dont wanna name the coaches, but i have spent alot for thsi snooker game. the reason i am searching for help in the forums is because coach could not help me or detect the problem.

dont wanna name, but i would say i have seen like 4 top coaches, that 2 of them have coaches even professionals.
including hotels, tickets and coaching fee i have spent like $20,000 in the past 4 years.

but yeah im hopless now
thank you

Postby mrsnooker000

Please look at this picture, this is what i mean.

1: the cue is on baulk line pointing straight to the cueball
2: when i am in adress position ----- that is how the white ball looks, and if i move the butt of the cue to the left, which moves the cue tip to the right then i will be pointing the cue tip to the whiteball

Postby Sickpotter

Personally I think you're cueing across the line and would look at a dominant eye being the cause.

Rather than move the cue so it looks lined up, move your head so that it looks right.

Postby Hendroid

mrsnooker000 wrote:stuff

As others have said it's difficult to diagnose the cause on a forum. You probably need someone to watch you playing. For what it's worth, I agree with the diagnosis of unwanted side. One way to check this is to have a look at your tip. If you always hold the cue the same way (I assume everyone does) the tip should be slightly bevelled at the top (from playing hard screw shots). If you look at the tip and it's bevelled not at the top but on one side or the other, you're putting on side (presumably unintended).

I had this issue myself. Putting on left hand side way too often, which obviously throws the cue ball and object ball offline. I only sussed it when I examined my tip. My main issue was blacks off the spot - I was lining up incorrectly and then trying to 'steer' the black in. But that meant putting on left hand side without even realising it.

I overcame that by adjusting my aim and forcing myself to look at the cue ball at the point of impact with the tip - kind of forcing myself to hit the middle of the ball. It feels unnatural and weird as hell, but it worked for me.

Maybe worth trying that? Either way, good luck.