Post a reply

Re: Overall 1980s top 16 rankings

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:Rocket Ron – you’re missing the point. Ranking Points is not necessary based on title wins. It is a system which scores you on consistency. Hendry became World No 1 3-4 years back without winning a title but because he was constantly in semi’s and quarters.

another interesting stat regarding Hendry and Williams is Hendry has won more crucible matches and more crucible frames than williams during the naughties.

Postby Roland

Not that surprising really though is it? Hendry has still probably won more matches than anyone else at the Crucible in the 00's

Postby N_Castle07

Statistically in years and years to come people will look back and think Hendry’s brilliant play stopped at the end of the 90’s. We know different because we have seen him this decade play some brilliant snooker at times. I feel he defiantly deserved a World Title in the noughties but it didn’t happen.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Not that surprising really though is it? Hendry has still probably won more matches than anyone else at the Crucible in the 00's

but i think it highlights Mark Williams perfectly for the last 5 or 6 years ...

during the early naughties he was far in front of everyone regarding every stat going.....i hope he can carry this improvement on snooker needs mark williams.

n castle his breakbuilding been off and on during the naughties but what defied Hendry as a player was getting in off his own bat with a brilliant long pot and clear up sadly he has been nowhere near that standard during the naughties.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote:Hendry became World No 1 3-4 years back without winning a title but because he was constantly in semi’s and quarters.

I can remember that, i was disgusted back then (well still am) ranking event winners need alot more points to seperate them more

Postby Roland

For me that period when Hendry was number 1 (was Doherty number 2?) was the worst spell in snooker I can remember. No disrespect to Hendry but Higgins had gone walkabout for a few seasons, Williams had dropped off, O'Sullivan wasn't consistent enough and it seemed to the armchair viewer like me that no one seemed to really care that much. Thankfully Ding came along and was a breath of fresh air and gave hope to the future that there was indeed a decent generation around the corner.

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:Hendry became World No 1 3-4 years back without winning a title but because he was constantly in semi’s and quarters.

I can remember that, i was disgusted back then (well still am) ranking event winners need alot more points to seperate them more

If Hearn changes the rankings set up to the same as he does in darts with an Order of Merit based on earnings determining your ranking, then the tournament winners will be rewarded far more.

Take your average run of the mill tournament when it was 5000 points for the winner. You got 1900 for reaching round 2 which was 38% of what points youd get for winning the tournament even though youd only won 20% (1 match of the 5) youd need to win the tournament.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:For me that period when Hendry was number 1 (was Doherty number 2?) was the worst spell in snooker I can remember. No disrespect to Hendry but Higgins had gone walkabout for a few seasons, Williams had dropped off, O'Sullivan wasn't consistent enough and it seemed to the armchair viewer like me that no one seemed to really care that much. Thankfully Ding came along and was a breath of fresh air and gave hope to the future that there was indeed a decent generation around the corner.

I agree, around 2006 was a truly transitional period in snooker IMO as the likes of Lee, Hunter, Williams, White, McManus, Stevens, Davis's declines set in and also as you say Doherty and EBdon were a false 1-2. The newcomers like Selby, Murphy, Maguire, Robbo, Ding were emerging and the likes of Ronnie and Higgins were at a career crossroads from which they continued on ahead....

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:For me that period when Hendry was number 1 (was Doherty number 2?) was the worst spell in snooker I can remember. No disrespect to Hendry but Higgins had gone walkabout for a few seasons, Williams had dropped off, O'Sullivan wasn't consistent enough and it seemed to the armchair viewer like me that no one seemed to really care that much. Thankfully Ding came along and was a breath of fresh air and gave hope to the future that there was indeed a decent generation around the corner.

I agree, around 2006 was a truly transitional period in snooker IMO as the likes of Lee, Hunter, Williams, White, McManus, Stevens, Davis's declines set in and also as you say Doherty and EBdon were a false 1-2. The newcomers like Selby, Murphy, Maguire, Robbo, Ding were emerging and the likes of Ronnie and Higgins were at a career crossroads from which they continued on ahead....

very much agree with you two

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

very much agree with you two

Hendry and Doherty a false 1-2 i meant, not Doherty and Ebdon...... :shy:

I must be coming down with an early case of Ebdonitis ahead of being the lone man cheering him on in Sheffield again this year. rofl

Postby Wildey

i got to agree it was a joke but the joke was the players around that time and not the ranking set up.

Hendry did win more matches than any other player to reach no 1 but did not win a tournament which himself has said he would rather be ranked 16 and win tournaments. its ok being consistent but i want to be a consistent winner.

i dont bye this ranking system isnt fair crap its the same for everyone however id like to see rolling rankings so each tournament builds up to the world and nobody knows who will be seeded and not at the crucible.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:i got to agree it was a joke but the joke was the players around that time and not the ranking set up.

Hendry did win more matches than any other player to reach no 1 but did not win a tournament which himself has said he would rather be ranked 16 and win tournaments. its ok being consistent but i want to be a consistent winner.

i dont bye this ranking system isnt fair crap its the same for everyone however id like to see rolling rankings so each tournament builds up to the world and nobody knows who will be seeded and not at the crucible.

rolling rankings is the way forward wild <ok>

the current ranking system isnt the same for everyone ;) think about it! Im heading out shortly so havent got time to get into a debate on the flaws on it though. (wheres Seifer when i need him rofl )

Postby Wildey

When i say its the same for everyone i mean Every player has had to troll through the deadwood to reach the top if they cant do that beat jerneyman on the way through they got no hope in the big mans game.

Ding did it,Allen did it and they turned pro in 2003.

higher up the rankings you go you get a privilege of less matches to qualify next term etc.

its called progress or promotion in what ever line of business your in theres a ladder to be climb this is the snooker equivalent.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:When i say its the same for everyone i mean Every player has had to troll through the deadwood to reach the top if they cant do that beat jerneyman on the way through they got no hope in the big mans game.

Ding did it,Allen did it and they turned pro in 2003.

higher up the rankings you go you get a privilege of less matches to qualify next term etc.

its called progress or promotion in what ever line of business your in theres a ladder to be climb this is the snooker equivalent.

Rolling rankings speeds things up though. We need this badly.

The form players on the rise are rewarded quicker and the players on the decline are punished quicker, rather than the current year long rankings freeze we have. No other sport has this!!

It works in all of them so will 100% work in snooker.

The public would rather see a top 16 in events of the best current 16 players rather than some who are clearly out of form, and only clinging onto automatic qualification by virtue of good results up to almost 3 years ago...the likes of Fu, Perry spring to mind when i think of current top 16 players who dont deserve to be there under a fair rankings system.

Postby Wildey

Rolling Rankings would create a Buzz and think of the dog fight around 13 to 23 in the rankings at this time of year trying to be seeded at the crucible.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:It would be interesting to see how the 80's and 90's compare to the same idea but using the decades 75-85, 85-95, 95-05

OK, here is the 85/86 to 94/95 overall rankings.....

1- STEVE DAVIS 151 (Highest ranking 1st, 5 seasons -85/86 - 89/90)
2- JIMMY WHITE 133 (Highest ranking 2nd, 2 seasons - 87/88 - 88/89)
3- STEPHEN HENDRY 107 (Highest ranking 1st, 5 seasons - 90/91 - 94/95)
4- JOHN PARROTT 98 (Highest ranking 2nd, 3 seasons - 89/90,92-93,93/94)
5- TERRY GRIFFITHS 91(Highest ranking 5th, 2 seasons -88/89 - 89/90)
6- DENNIS TAYLOR 75 (Highest ranking 3rd, 86/87)
7- CLIFF THORBURN 64 (Highest ranking 2nd, 2 seasons 85/86-86/87)
8- NEAL FOULDS 62 (Highest ranking 3rd, 2 seasons 87/88-88/89)
9- WILLIE THORNE 54 (Highest ranking 7th, 2 seasons 86/87,93/94)
10- TONY KNOWLES 52 (Highest ranking 3rd, 85/86)
11- MIKE HALLET 39 (Highest ranking 6th, 89/90)
12- JAMES WATTNA 36 (Highest ranking 3rd, 94/95)
13= DOUG MOUNTJOY 34 (Highest ranking 5th, 90/91)
13= JOE JOHNSON 34 (Highest ranking 5th, 87/88)
15= ALEX HIGGINS 30 (Highest ranking 6th, 86/87)
15= STEVE JAMES 30 (Highest ranking 7th, 91/92)

The results are conclusive to me of one thing ;)

Postby Wildey

yes hendry on 107 in 7 seasons averaging 15.28 and Davis in 10 seasons averaging 15.10 <ok>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes hendry on 107 in 7 seasons averaging 15.28 and Davis in 10 seasons averaging 15.10 <ok>

yes, but this is for 10 years from 1985-1995 and not 7 years from 1988 to 1995.

Whats the point in doing factual statistics like this, if you just put your own spin on it to alter the outcome.

For this 10 year period Davis was the best overall, as he was ranked number 1 for 5 of the years and in the top 4 the rest of the time <ok>

Postby Andre147

Ander wrote:I'm working on this topic and will post some graphics soon. :stir:

That's right, we need these dead threads coming back to life again. <ok>

Postby haristanveergt

 World Snooker Championships 2017 - top 16 rankings as of 3rd April

1 = Mark Selby (9/2)
2 = Judd Trump (4/1)
3 = Stuart Bingham (25/1)
4 = Ding Junhui (12/1)
5 = Shaun Murphy 16/1)
6 = John Higgins (16/1)
7 = Barry Hawkins (18/1)
8 = Marco Fu (12/1)
9 = Neil Robertson (11/1)
10 = Ali Carter (40/1)
11 = Mark Allen (40/1)
12 = Ronnie O'Sullivan (5/1)
13 = Liang Wenbo (66/1)
14 = Kyren Wilson (33/1)
15 = Anthony McGill (80/1)
16 = Ryan Day (125/1)

Postby kolompar

Roland wrote:For me that period when Hendry was number 1 (was Doherty number 2?) was the worst spell in snooker I can remember. No disrespect to Hendry but Higgins had gone walkabout for a few seasons, Williams had dropped off, O'Sullivan wasn't consistent enough and it seemed to the armchair viewer like me that no one seemed to really care that much. Thankfully Ding came along and was a breath of fresh air and gave hope to the future that there was indeed a decent generation around the corner.

Then we got Bingham at number 2.