Post a reply

2024 World Championship Countdown

Postby Prop

It’s that time again, folks. The bleak and clawing weight of winter fades, morning light gilts and buoys the dreary, and those first signs of the seasons in change ignite a familiar anticipation in the devout acolytes of our great game.

In 7 weeks the qualifiers begin, and all eyes are on Sheffield.

As usual, the countdown thread is the place to share your thoughts, predictions, hopes and fears. Can Luca break the Crucible Curse? Will Judd finally become a multiple World Champion? Will Ronnie break more records and make it a neat 8-8-8 in the big ones? Or will we see another new winner?

It’s all downhill from here <ok>

Re: 2024 World Championship Countdown

Postby SnookerEd25

Lyrical prose, Prop, lyrical prose.

Like easing into a hot bath with the distilled essence of Kenneth Wolstenholme <ok>

Postby D4P

There's arguably more at stake for Ronnie this season than there has ever been for a player at the World Championship, with passing Hendry, 8-8-8, and the single-season Triple Crown all on the line. Plus, I think he could become the first player to earn 1,000,000 ranking points in a single season.

Postby Prop

D4P wrote:There's arguably more at stake for Ronnie this season than there has ever been for a player at the World Championship, with passing Hendry, 8-8-8, and the single-season Triple Crown all on the line. Plus, I think he could become the first player to earn 1,000,000 ranking points in a single season.

It would wrap things up rather neatly for him - if he actually managed it I reckon it’d be a good time to retire. Don’t for a second think he would though. Not while he’s still capable of switching it on.

Postby mantorok

Prop wrote:
D4P wrote:There's arguably more at stake for Ronnie this season than there has ever been for a player at the World Championship, with passing Hendry, 8-8-8, and the single-season Triple Crown all on the line. Plus, I think he could become the first player to earn 1,000,000 ranking points in a single season.

It would wrap things up rather neatly for him - if he actually managed it I reckon it’d be a good time to retire. Don’t for a second think he would though. Not while he’s still capable of switching it on.

Oh yeah it would be a great way to go out, but agree it would be foolish while he's still capable of continuing this sort of domination, he'll no doubt be keen on building on the retirement fund too.

Postby Prop

mantorok wrote:
Prop wrote:

Oh yeah it would be a great way to go out, but agree it would be foolish while he's still capable of continuing this sort of domination, he'll no doubt be keen on building on the retirement fund too.

Whatever he says, assume the opposite is closer to the truth.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:Stage-boldness, then?

I mean, if we look at the evidence from the season... <laugh>

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:I’m thinking a Robbo Watch might be interesting.

He wouldn't be a first round qualifier though.

Possibly not! Have we ever done one from the first round of qualifying?

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Was Ding in 2016 like that?

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

When Hendry met Jimmy? :chin:

Postby Prop

Gawd knows. I can’t remember. Regardless, I’m sure I’m not the only one intrigued by his situation. Pretty sure I suggested he’d be best writing the whole season off when he announced he was having a break. Not that he shouldn’t turn up and have a go, but perhaps not expect anything in the way of results. He’s been talking a good game, but clearly you can’t will your way back into form.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Yes, for bucks sake.

We do that every year.

That's the whole bucking point of it.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Yes, for bucks sake.

We do that every year.

That's the whole bucking point of it.

Alright, alright. Keep your flag on.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:Maybe we could suggest that Pinkball makes Think Pink some kind of Prediction League.

Has he ever done that before? :chin:

Listen, don’t come on here all Billy Big bullocks with your track record on here. You’re hardly our best example of cognitive acuity.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:Inall seriousness, has The Watache Thread got stale?

Nah. It’s just hit and miss by its nature. And it’s tradition.

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:

We need to inject some excitement into it. Maybe get some mescaline? :chin:

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:

We need to inject some excitement into it. Maybe get some mescaline? :chin:

SF’s next adventure should be sponsored by mescaline. Get a cameraman to follow him round. It’d be like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas combined with Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em.

It’s a different psychedelic on each episode. Ticking them off an increasingly exotic bucket list through the season.

Next time on SnookerFan’s Adventures, it’s a race against the clock as SF attempts to order tickets for the English Open while coming up hard on three Bart Simpson blotters…

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:In all seriousness, has The Watache Thread got stale?

Not if we have a final sexy Fergal watache thread.