Post a reply

Re: Cazoo World Championship Final Wilson v Jones !!

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:I dunno why 50 breaks is so often used as a metric of quality or standard. A 50 break doesn’t even win the frame in most cases. You can make as many 50 breaks as you like but if you let your opponent follow with a 70 you’re winning buck all.

Yea but its not really a yard stick for success anyway you dont really need centuries to win matches 3 breaks of 30 per frame is enough

I agree with this as well. No stat is a good yardstick in isolation.

You could have 100% pot success potting one ball and a time and breaking down.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:I dunno why 50 breaks is so often used as a metric of quality or standard. A 50 break doesn’t even win the frame in most cases. You can make as many 50 breaks as you like but if you let your opponent follow with a 70 you’re winning buck all.

Yea but its not really a yard stick for success anyway you dont really need centuries to win matches 3 breaks of 30 per frame is enough

I agree with this as well. No stat is a good yardstick in isolation.

You could have 100% pot success potting one ball and a time and breaking down.

I Can think of some best of 7s where you pot 1 ball and lose 4-0 and get a 100% pot success

Postby SnookerFan

I never understood their obsession with Average Shot Time either.

Like when they kept going on about Thepchaiya Un-Nooh being the fastest player on tour. He never won anything. No point being fast, if half the shots you take on, you miss.

Postby LDS

The_Abbott wrote:Don't understand the negativity. I can see why promoters/sponsors being upset as they can't sell snooker as much as if a Trump or ROS won but snooker has been wide open for years. Literally anyone in the top 40 could win it.

I enjoyed the final. A bit one sided at first (like 1985) but much better second half. It is changing times we are seeing the ROS, Higgins and Williams are fading.

I can only echo this. And, as other have said, most of the top players have been there for the taking the past few years.

And you see it more and more each year with the ranking events through the year. Unexpected finals after unexpected finals and even many unexpected winners.

People who are addicted to only following already successful players or have had the exact same favourites for near-on a decade really need to break their own habit rather than keep dissing an ever larger pool of likely not-thems as their coping mechanism, or they're just setting themselves up for depression and disillusionment.

Make a list of all the players you always watch or rate as 'worthy', then remove anyone 40 years+ and replace them with someone younger. Don't stop fanning those 40+, just put more energy into the new names.

Postby spurious

Breaks over 50 isn't perfect, it's just a reasonable proxy for how entertaining a match is -- assuming people like to watch break-building.

Safety's much harder to use as it depends on what your opponent does and where the balls are sitting. You can play rubbish safety and get away with it if you get some run o' the ball.

But even if you used pot success rate, the final was a reasonable standard. After the first session Jones was at 71% for obvious reasons. To finish with 86% that meant he was on or about 91% for the rest of the match. I think Wilson was 92%. It's not gonna make the horses bolt, but it's perfectly decent for a final, even a World final.

Now the match against Bingham, that was rubbish.

Postby Hendroid

SnookerFan wrote:
Hendroid wrote:The first Tuesday in May has to be the most depressing day of the year.

The Seniors is on tomorrow.

Channel 5 to the rescue.

I know. Just getting through these 36 hours is tough.

Postby SteveJJ

We have a year to brace ourselves for the nostalgia fest which will be the 40th anniversary of the 1985 final, next year.

I see Davis, Taylor and JV are doing a night at The Hexagon in January.

I would assume that because its the anniversary next year, Dennis will be safe in his job for another season, although it would then become an appropriate time for him to bow out.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Don't understand the negativity. I can see why promoters/sponsors being upset as they can't sell snooker as much as if a Trump or ROS won but snooker has been wide open for years. Literally anyone in the top 40 could win it.

I enjoyed the final. A bit one sided at first (like 1985) but much better second half. It is changing times we are seeing the ROS, Higgins and Williams are fading.

I can only echo this. And, as other have said, most of the top players have been there for the taking the past few years.

And you see it more and more each year with the ranking events through the year. Unexpected finals after unexpected finals and even many unexpected winners.

People who are addicted to only following already successful players or have had the exact same favourites for near-on a decade really need to break their own habit rather than keep dissing an ever larger pool of likely not-thems as their coping mechanism, or they're just setting themselves up for depression and disillusionment.

Make a list of all the players you always watch or rate as 'worthy', then remove anyone 40 years+ and replace them with someone younger. Don't stop fanning those 40+, just put more energy into the new names.

No thanks I’ll support who I like <ok> I’m not gonna force myself to change who I support because some guy on a forum tells me to.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:We have a year to brace ourselves for the nostalgia fest which will be the 40th anniversary of the 1985 final, next year.

I see Davis, Taylor and JV are doing a night at The Hexagon in January.

I would assume that because its the anniversary next year, Dennis will be safe in his job for another season, although it would then become an appropriate time for him to bow out.

I went to one of them in Croydon a year or two ago. It was alright, but I'd been to exhibitions before, so I wasn't really watching anything new.

Virgo was the compare, and did the same impressions and told the same stories he has been since the 1980s.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:

No thanks I’ll support who I like <ok> I’m not gonna force myself to change who I support because some guy on a forum tells me to.

It's more advice from experience than an order, lol. And I didn't suggest anyone changes, just remember to look for new. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet1

Hendroid wrote:The first Tuesday in May has to be the most depressing day of the year.

No way. The relief of not having to listen to Dennis Taylor for months is very uplifting!

Postby Vallomas

vodkadiet1 wrote:

No way. The relief of not having to listen to Dennis Taylor for months is very uplifting!

Fortunately we don't have to wait so long to listen to Phil Yates!

Postby frameless_yai

Alex0paul wrote:Ding’s last 5 first round opponents have been tougher than Wilson’s draw to win it

That's true. Kyren had it easy - but guess what? It's a bit rich of you (judging by your past posts) to be lamenting that - when you routinely call for Ronnie and a few other flair players to lose. You seem to have an obsession (like quite a few at this forum) of hating Ronnie and wanting him dumped out. Well, you can't have it both ways. That worthless final was the consequence.

Postby Juddernaut88

frameless_yai wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Ding’s last 5 first round opponents have been tougher than Wilson’s draw to win it

That's true. Kyren had it easy - but guess what? It's a bit rich of you (judging by your past posts) to be lamenting that - when you routinely call for Ronnie and a few other flair players to lose. You seem to have an obsession (like quite a few at this forum) of hating Ronnie and wanting him dumped out. Well, you can't have it both ways. That worthless final was the consequence.

So have you actually spent time going through a lot of Alex's posts? That seems a bit odd no?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Jones will absolutely destroy Kyren?

Kyren favourite? So was Judd.

Kyren doesn't seem as flappable, but he isn't great in finals, so who knows?

Jones is so hot a favourite, that if you patted his back you'd need to go to A&E with severe burns.

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

Juddernaut88 wrote:
frameless_yai wrote:

So have you actually spent time going through a lot of Alex's posts? That seems a bit odd no?

Anyone who regularly reads the match threads would come to the same conclusion.