Post a reply

Re: BetVictor German Masters Final!!!

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:
Granite wrote:Trump is a weird anomaly in snooker when it comes to ranking him in the top 10. Surely the best non multiple WC champion.

Yes it used to be Robertson for me just a year ago but Trump has surpassed him now.

At least Trump's first World Title win is far more recent. Okay, so this year, it'll be five years since Trump won it. But Trump is a three time finalist. Robertson has barely been past the Quarters, other than the year he won it.

I'd still make Trump far more likely to get a second than Robbo.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Granite wrote:Trump is a weird anomaly in snooker when it comes to ranking him in the top 10. Surely the best non multiple WC champion.

Yes it used to be Robertson for me just a year ago but Trump has surpassed him now.

At least Trump's first World Title win is far more recent. Okay, so this year, it'll be five years since Trump won it. But Trump is a three time finalist. Robertson has barely been past the Quarters, other than the year he won it.

I'd still make Trump far more likely to get a second than Robbo.

I'd had Robertson ahead of Trump because he won more of the big tournaments like CoC,Tour Championship and UK but the sheer amount of tournaments Trump is winning now puts him ahead of Robbo. In the very near future Trump will have won more ranking tournaments than Higgins and Davis. Of course there are more rankers now than 20 years ago but its still an impressive feat. And he is only 34.

And as you say, hes been by far the more consistent performer at the Worlds than Robbo is.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:I'd had Robertson ahead of Trump because he won more of the big tournaments like CoC,Tour Championship and UK but the sheer amount of tournaments Trump is winning now puts him ahead of Robbo. In the very near future Trump will have won more ranking tournaments than Higgins and Davis. Of course there are more rankers now than 20 years ago but its still an impressive feat. And he is only 34.

And as you say, hes been by far the more consistent performer at the Worlds than Robbo is.

I wasn't talking about who had the better CV, just who had more chance of winning The Crucible.

Robertson struggles at the venue, far more than Trump does.

I know Judd is the "The Tin Pot Terminator", but he clearly struggles far less at the venue than Robertson does.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Is Judd an all time great?

He's nearly caught Davis on rankers.

BUT

TCs.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's all about the World Championships with Judd.

Comparing different eras can be tough. The whole "achievements beat opinion every time" doesn't necessarily ring true every time, because, for example, you can state that Davis doesn't compare to modern players because he's only made 338 century breaks in his career. A career that spanned decades. This is a nonsense comparison, because in the 1980s, when Davis was at his pomp, people didn't play for centuries. They would play safe unless a pot was pretty much as close to being 100% chance of going in as possible.

The same with comparing ranking events.Some eras have had more ranking events than others, so that has to be also taken into account when comparing a modern player, with a player from a different generation. Hell, it wasn't that long ago, when we only had six ranking events a season.

Even comparing UK Championship wins, one could argue that the format is so different to what it was in Davis' time. We can't say it's been devalued, and then says a person winning the UK Championship now is the same as in the 1980s. (Granted Davis still has more than Trump. I use that just as an example.)

Does Judd dominate now, like Davis did? No. Is it a stronger era now, than in the 1980s? No disrespect to former players, but yes it is. And Judd still goes through phases of winning a lot. So, does he win there? Or does Davis' domination count?

The real question is, what's the constant? The Crucible. The format hasn't really changed at all since it started in the late 1970s. The venue hasn't changed. It's still the biggest test in the game, and still the marquee event.

I'm not saying that Trump has to win six for the comparison to Davis to be valid. But he has to win more than one.

Postby Alex0paul

Davis’ tally of 28 ranking wins is wild considering the paltry amount there were in the 80s

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Davis’ tally of 28 ranking wins is wild considering the paltry amount there were in the 80s

And there were tons of other non ranking events he won, including the UK Champs which for a few years wasnt a ranking event.

Actually Davis is the all time leader on professional titles won, albeit a lot of them were with a reduced field and more like exhibition events, but Ronnie is very close to that tally now.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:ROS and Trump are well above the rest atm. Without having to play that well. Most of the time they are winning with their B and C game apart from the odd match or session where they produce their best.

Power to the flair players :happy: :happy: :happy: