Post a reply

Re: Riyadh Season World Masters

Postby SnookerEd25

I don’t think anybody within the game is going to speak out negatively about Saudi or China, so you can sleep easily, PinkBall. <ok>

Re: Riyadh Season World Masters

Postby Dragonfly

Pink Ball wrote:I have no problem with calling out Saudi Arabia. In fact, fair play to anyone who does. If a player or referee or whoever boycotts a tournament in Saudi Arabia I'll think more of them, not less, obviously.

But they are going to have to face some sticky questions. What's their objection? Is it the death penalty? Just because Saudi Arabia beheads people doesn't make them worse than China, who put miles more people to death. How many tournaments have we had in China now? How many times have we called for a boycott of Chinese tournaments on here?

As far as I know, women and gay people have an easier time in China than they do in Saudi Arabia. But is that the same as saying they have it easy compared to us in Britain and Ireland? Maybe some of our Chinese based posters here like Chengdufan can fill us in, I've never even been to China, so I don't know.

We know Saudi Arabia isn't even close to a democratic country. But, again, China!

None of this is a reason not to speak out or protest, but anyone who does is going to have to come out strongly against China as well, and when they do so, they're going to have to explain why it took a Saudi tournament to put a fire under their bottom about China. That bit might be uncomfortable.

I raised concerns about China on this site ages ago. Said I wasn't comfortable with it and events going there. If I remember correctly nobody here backed me up. I know it'd make no difference, but all the responses were the game is expanding kind of stuff.
Looking forward to the North Korea open in 2026!

Event information

Postby Graeme Bott

mantorok wrote:@botty next ranking event

World Open (Ranking) - Monday, March 18, 2024 to Sunday, March 24, 2024
Yushan Sport Centre in Yushan, China
Defending Champion: Judd Trump.