Post a reply

Re: Cazoo World Championship (Thurs April 27th) Semi Finals

Postby mantorok

Selby isn’t a slow player he just doesn’t let frames go easily, always plays on for snookers despite the number required which can sometimes double the time of the frame.

Yes he can also tie the table up in knots which causes long drawn out frames but if that works for him then why not?

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:Selby isn’t a slow player he just doesn’t let frames go easily, always plays on for snookers despite the number required which can sometimes double the time of the frame.

Yes he can also tie the table up in knots which causes long drawn out frames but if that works for him then why not?

Stop being so reasonable.

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:I don’t think our eyes do tell that story although in recent years it’s increasingly been the case.

It's just different opinions at this point. From what I see Selby's frames are more likely to be over 30 mins and he's more likely going to be dragged off the table for another match. I'm not fussed if he knocks in a couple of tons in 2nd round of the english open.

The way he plays works for him and I'm not one of those who wants to add a shot clock just stop trying to act like he's exciting even half the time.

Postby freakmoomin

LDS wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
LDS wrote:Because he will chose to snooker someone rather than smack a 5% pot at a distant corner. :shrug:

That's fine it's part of the game, just stop pretending his matches don't take an age and he doesn't drag things out.

:goodpost:

The ironic thing here though is that the pretending is those who pretend he usually plays slowly. It's the exception which gets magnified.

Last night, he and John finished ages before McGill and Si, even though people kept banging on about how slow that match was destined to be. Meanwhile, tonight, a perfectly normal match, could have been anyone out there, time-wise.

But, oh yeah, he was really slow that time he played XYZ and some folks wont let him forget about it, etc.

Mcgill and si were playing like complete amateurs. Not a good comparison.

The eye test has always been good. Hendry, messi, White, Higgins, ROS, Higgins, Maradona, jordan, federer. Selby isnt in the eye test category. Hes awful to watch.

Postby Temujin

eraserhead wrote:
LDS wrote:Because he will chose to snooker someone rather than smack a 5% pot at a distant corner. :shrug:

That's fine it's part of the game, just stop pretending his matches don't take an age and he doesn't drag things out.

I enjoy the long tactical frames, I don't mind if they are consistently 30 minutes+.

Postby eraserhead

mantorok wrote:Selby isn’t a slow player he just doesn’t let frames go easily, always plays on for snookers despite the number required which can sometimes double the time of the frame

That classes as slow imo

Postby Iranu

eraserhead wrote:
Iranu wrote:I don’t think our eyes do tell that story although in recent years it’s increasingly been the case.

It's just different opinions at this point. From what I see Selby's frames are more likely to be over 30 mins and he's more likely going to be dragged off the table for another match. I'm not fussed if he knocks in a couple of tons in 2nd round of the english open.

The way he plays works for him and I'm not one of those who wants to add a shot clock just stop trying to act like he's exciting even half the time.

More likely, I agree. Most likely, I disagree.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:For buck’s sake, Allen plays an excellent session and still everyone’s talking about Selby. Allen has worked himself into exactly the space he needs to be in. That’s the story.

Jesus Christ just twiddle him off already

Postby LDS

Andre147 wrote:Allen needs this level for sure to win the match, so hopefully he maintains it. But it's probably the toughest test in Snooker, beating Selby over 4 sessions. Only Higgins (albeit a young version of Selby), Dott and more recently Ronnie managed to do it.

That's just a way of saying he's tough to beat once he gets to the 1 table set-up. So few players ever get to the 1 table set-up, let alone regularly, and even the more regular ones don't get that many, that stats in such a narrow field of vision are almost meaningless.

That's like saying Ronnie rarely ever loses when he gets to a final. Well, yeah, as discussed many times, he tends to get to finals when there isn't too much in the way of opposition. Maybe he just didn't want to face Selby in a final again?

Postby eraserhead

Temujin wrote:I enjoy the long tactical frames, I don't mind if they are consistently 30 minutes+.

So do I. I enjoy watching Selby play for snookers when it's not against a player I like. Wish Ding would take more of a Selby approach these days because he's great at laying snookers but his long pottings gone.

Postby Andre147

LDS wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Allen needs this level for sure to win the match, so hopefully he maintains it. But it's probably the toughest test in Snooker, beating Selby over 4 sessions. Only Higgins (albeit a young version of Selby), Dott and more recently Ronnie managed to do it.

That's just a way of saying he's tough to beat once he gets to the 1 table set-up. So few players ever get to the 1 table set-up, let alone regularly, and even the more regular ones don't get that many, that stats in such a narrow field of vision are almost meaningless.

That's like saying Ronnie rarely ever loses when he gets to a final. Well, yeah, as discussed many times, he tends to get to finals when there isn't too much in the way of opposition. Maybe he just didn't want to face Selby in a final again?

Oh yeah, I forgot last year Ronnie had to beat his biggest rival Higgins in the semis and a prime Judd Trump in the Final, a 46 year old man! But of course he doesnt have too much opposition!

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:For buck’s sake, Allen plays an excellent session and still everyone’s talking about Selby. Allen has worked himself into exactly the space he needs to be in. That’s the story.

Don't get wankery with me young man. I don't care for Allen, truth be told.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:

Is your second paragraph regarding the WC or generally?

Postby Wildey

Mark Allen not used to play these long matches over 4 sessions only played 1 before this will be Selbys 14th you have to pace yourself. And build up ready for session 3 Allen has gone in to this match from the off i believe Selby will be picking him off over the next 2 sessions to get a advantage when its time to go in for the kill.

Postby LDS

eraserhead wrote:
Temujin wrote:I enjoy the long tactical frames, I don't mind if they are consistently 30 minutes+.

So do I. I enjoy watching Selby play for snookers when it's not against a player I like. Wish Ding would take more of a Selby approach these days because he's great at laying snookers but his long pottings gone.

The way I see it is that if the frame is long because the frame is being played to perfection by two master-class tacticians, then, yes, that's still good to watch.

If the frame is taking a long time because the two players are playing like nobs and just can't do anything right, then that's the tedious time waste.

It's not so much about time as it's about whether the time is well rewarded. Allen's off-the-cusion build-up 3 minuter a perfect example of not a time waste.

Postby Temujin

freakmoomin wrote:
LDS wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

:goodpost:

The ironic thing here though is that the pretending is those who pretend he usually plays slowly. It's the exception which gets magnified.

Last night, he and John finished ages before McGill and Si, even though people kept banging on about how slow that match was destined to be. Meanwhile, tonight, a perfectly normal match, could have been anyone out there, time-wise.

But, oh yeah, he was really slow that time he played XYZ and some folks wont let him forget about it, etc.

Mcgill and si were playing like complete amateurs. Not a good comparison.

The eye test has always been good. Hendry, messi, White, Higgins, ROS, Higgins, Maradona, jordan, federer. Selby isnt in the eye test category. Hes awful to watch.

All football players are awful to watch, I would rather watch Rod Lawler play Peter Lines than any football match.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:

But you’re both British.

(Andre help)

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:

Is your second paragraph regarding the WC or generally?

Just the WC.

Postby eraserhead

Andre147 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot last year Ronnie had to beat his biggest rival Higgins in the semis and a prime Judd Trump in the Final, a 46 year old man! But of course he doesnt have too much opposition!

Also knocked Selby out of a 4 session match. :zzz:

Postby LDS

Andre147 wrote:
LDS wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot last year Ronnie had to beat his biggest rival Higgins in the semis and a prime Judd Trump in the Final, a 46 year old man! But of course he doesnt have too much opposition!

Did I say he hasn't won any WC titles against GOATS? Fell free to list all his rivals he's beaten in the final...

Postby Holden Chinaski

eraserhead wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot last year Ronnie had to beat his biggest rival Higgins in the semis and a prime Judd Trump in the Final, a 46 year old man! But of course he doesnt have too much opposition!

Also knocked Selby out of a 4 session match. :zzz:

He spanked Selby. Hard.

Postby snucar

Andre147 wrote:

They both were rubbish, that's the truth. Made it way to easy for Ronnie.

Postby Andre147

LDS wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
LDS wrote:

Did I say he hasn't won any WC titles against GOATS? Fell free to list all his rivals he's beaten in the final...

Not this talk again?

Are you a Hendry fan? Should I list the opponents he's beaten in Finals too? Give me a break

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

They both were rubbish, that's the truth. Made it way to easy for Ronnie.

:zzz:

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:Is your second paragraph regarding the WC or generally?

Just the WC.

Thanks. I would say that for a lot of Ronnie’s WC victories he’s had draws that would be considered difficult for most but that he has definitely had some kind final draws, albeit even a few of those are only kind because it’s him.

I also don’t think Selby’s record should necessarily be spoken about in comparison to Ronnie’s outside of their direct encounters. I think he’s had very difficult final opponents overall.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:Mark Allen not used to play these long matches over 4 sessions only played 1 before this will be Selbys 14th you have to pace yourself. And build up ready for session 3 Allen has gone in to this match from the off i believe Selby will be picking him off over the next 2 sessions to get a advantage when its time to go in for the kill.

Total bullocks. Previously that would have been true, but the world has moved on. This is the intensity he's been playing at all season. He isn't taking a blind bit of notice and he won't take a blind bit of notice from here on out.

You think he can't play eight frames one day, another eight the next? That's basically what professionals do all the time, if they're any good. He's been doing it all season.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:

But you’re both British.

(Andre help)

Don't call me British.

Postby Temujin

Andre147 wrote:
LDS wrote:

Trump was not prime at all at that time, he wasn't even practicing leading up to the WC because of total lack of motivation.