Post a reply

Re: Cazoo World Championship (Thurs April 27th) Semi Finals

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Mark Allen not used to play these long matches over 4 sessions only played 1 before this will be Selbys 14th you have to pace yourself. And build up ready for session 3 Allen has gone in to this match from the off i believe Selby will be picking him off over the next 2 sessions to get a advantage when its time to go in for the kill.

Total bullocks. Previously that would have been true, but the world has moved on. This is the intensity he's been playing at all season. He isn't taking a blind bit of notice and he won't take a blind bit of notice from here on out.

You think he can't play eight frames one day, another eight the next? That's basically what professionals do all the time, if they're any good. He's been doing it all season.

Let’s be fair.

While I don’t necessarily agree with “pacing yourself” (I don’t think that applies to snooker), the intensity Allen’s played at this season has seen a pretty sharp drop-off in results in the second half of the season.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Mark Allen not used to play these long matches over 4 sessions only played 1 before this will be Selbys 14th you have to pace yourself. And build up ready for session 3 Allen has gone in to this match from the off i believe Selby will be picking him off over the next 2 sessions to get a advantage when its time to go in for the kill.

Total bullocks. Previously that would have been true, but the world has moved on. This is the intensity he's been playing at all season. He isn't taking a blind bit of notice and he won't take a blind bit of notice from here on out.

You think he can't play eight frames one day, another eight the next? That's basically what professionals do all the time, if they're any good. He's been doing it all season.

he cant and definitely wont be able to keep it up when it gets to the crux of this match

Postby LDS

Andre147 wrote:
LDS wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
LDS wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Allen needs this level for sure to win the match, so hopefully he maintains it. But it's probably the toughest test in Snooker, beating Selby over 4 sessions. Only Higgins (albeit a young version of Selby), Dott and more recently Ronnie managed to do it.

That's just a way of saying he's tough to beat once he gets to the 1 table set-up. So few players ever get to the 1 table set-up, let alone regularly, and even the more regular ones don't get that many, that stats in such a narrow field of vision are almost meaningless.

That's like saying Ronnie rarely ever loses when he gets to a final. Well, yeah, as discussed many times, he tends to get to finals when there isn't too much in the way of opposition. Maybe he just didn't want to face Selby in a final again?

Oh yeah, I forgot last year Ronnie had to beat his biggest rival Higgins in the semis and a prime Judd Trump in the Final, a 46 year old man! But of course he doesnt have too much opposition!

Did I say he hasn't won any WC titles against GOATS? Fell free to list all his rivals he's beaten in the final...

Not this talk again?

Are you a Hendry fan? Should I list the opponents he's beaten in Finals too? Give me a break

No, just talking about stats used as spin.

Selby has only got past the Semi-finals once in the past five seasons. He might once have been the toughest test in snooker, like between 2014 and 2017, but I don't think that jug holds water any more.

The whole scene is just too chaotic at the moment for anyone to hold any specific position of being the toughest test in snooker.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

he cant and definitely wont be able to keep it up when it gets to the crux of this match

He won't have to. He will hit a burst of frames at some point. That is inevitable. This was the session in which Selby had to do damage. Instead, Allen has settled.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Let’s be fair.

While I don’t necessarily agree with “pacing yourself” (I don’t think that applies to snooker), the intensity Allen’s played at this season has seen a pretty sharp drop-off in results in the second half of the season.

Yes, because he adopted a ridiculously high-intensity approach to everything. He was making slow work of everything. He did not do that tonight. When he was in amongst them, he got on with his work at a grand pace.

Postby Andre147

LDS wrote:
Selby has only got past the Semi-finals once in the past five seasons. He might once have been the toughest test in snooker, like between 2014 and 2017, but I don't think that jug holds water any more.

The whole scene is just too chaotic at the moment for anyone to hold any specific position of being the toughest test in snooker.

Ok this I do agree.

Postby snucar

This was a damage limitation session for Selby and still it could have been easily 4-4. The next session will tell the story because Selby can only do better than tonight which was below par really. Allen did well today but the real pressure is still to come.

Postby Pink Ball

snucar wrote:This was a damage limitation session for Selby and still it could have been easily 4-4. The next session will tell the story because Selby can only do better than tonight which was below par really. Allen did well today but the real pressure is still to come.

How was this the damage-limitation session for Allen? All I've been hearing about is how he's not used of the surroundings, he's up against someone who knows it like the back of his hand. This is the session I was most worried about. He has passed with flying colours.

Also, I thought Selby played really well. Far from below par.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
snucar wrote:This was a damage limitation session for Selby and still it could have been easily 4-4. The next session will tell the story because Selby can only do better than tonight which was below par really. Allen did well today but the real pressure is still to come.

How was this the damage-limitation session for Allen? All I've been hearing about is how he's not used of the surroundings, he's up against someone who knows it like the back of his hand. This is the session I was most worried about. He has passed with flying colours.

He said for Selby

Postby snucar

Pink Ball wrote:

Damage limitation for Selby I said, not Allen. Selby struggled hard to keep control of the cue ball tonight, both in position and safety. I just can't see Selby playing worse than tonight and Allen spat blood tonight to get himself a lead. But he's performing, all credit to him, rock solid.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

He said for Selby

Yes, and I meant to write Selby.

Postby Pink Ball

snucar wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Damage limitation for Selby I said, not Allen. Selby struggled hard to keep control of the cue ball tonight, both in position and safety. I just can't see Selby playing worse than tonight and Allen spat blood tonight to get himself a lead. But he's performing, all credit to him, rock solid.

I meant to write Selby.