Post a reply

2023 World Championship Countdown

Postby Prop

Time is a bucker. All of a sudden you’re 30, 40 and beyond, and life just flies past you while occasionally offering a moment to cherish - briefly, of course. The Worlds is one of those things. And the silver lining to this relative quickening of time is that winter is almost behind us, spring is threatening to make everything feel slightly less rubbish, and all of a sudden the World Snooker Championship is just 8 weeks away.

So I thought I’d kick off a thread for any general chat about the big one, before any dedicated threads are created by the mods.

What stories might develop? Will there be a surprise winner? Or more records broken? Who is the darkest of the dark horses, and who is on a hiding to nothing?

Discuss.

Re: 2023 World Championship Countdown

Postby HappyCamper

TheRocket wrote:Hoping for World title no 8. It would be the biggest moment in modern era Snooker.

Would be, but I doubt Hendry makes through qualifiers.

Postby TheRocket

HappyCamper wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Hoping for World title no 8. It would be the biggest moment in modern era Snooker.

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:

rofl

Postby Iranu

Some talk on ES of Robbo winning this because he’s had an uncharacteristically quiet season.

I don’t buy it.

I don’t think Allen’ll win it either despite the season he’s had.

Postby McManusFan

I suspect Trump will get his second. He didn't look like winning the masters this year, and then he did. I think the same will happen in Sheffield.

Postby SnookerEd25

Thanks for the reminder of the years ticking away. I’m 50 in November, this will be my 44th WC, and it’s the only tournament I really look forward to these days. In fact, it’s the most wonderful time of the year - for me.

The only downside is if it is anti-climatic; there haven’t been many but last years was one of the few. I hope this year makes up for it, particularly after the season we’ve had overall which, in my opinion, has been one of the most moribund I can remember.

But thanks to this thread, the pangs of anticipation kick in and - if you include the qualifiers - it’s only about six weeks :D

Bring it on :happy:

Postby RunningSide

Going to predict a first time winner, a seasond Pro like milkins,think its most open championship we've seen.Allen form player but may have peaked.personal interest in Ronnie waning.

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:I suspect Trump will get his second. He didn't look like winning the masters this year, and then he did. I think the same will happen in Sheffield.

I hope you're right <ok>
If this happens then it is time to party and bullsh111t
if not then it will be sulking for a few weeks.

Postby The_Abbott

Could this be Jimmy's year? he is playing well.

I think Judd is a possibility. Neil not so much.

Nobody talks about Selby anymore so don't discount him just yet.

Ronnie if Ronnie turns up. He looks bored these days

I would like a surprise winner but its unlikely in multi session matches.

Need to make sure we pick the correct Watache thread this year based on qualifying route not what seems the best qualifying round 1 game

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Need to make sure we pick the correct Watache thread this year based on qualifying route not what seems the best qualifying round 1 game

Yeah, I've been meaning to bring that up.

Are people still up for the Watache Threads? Past couple of years, I've been a bit bored of doing them. I'm happy to carry on though, if people enjoy them or their adding to the forum. It just seems that we spend a couple of weeks arguing who should get the first one, and when I do decide, everybody just acts like I've made the wrong decision anyway. Then there's always some tit who misses the point of it, and creates a Watache Thread about a random player, half way through the tournament.

Are they worth the forum clutter?

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Need to make sure we pick the correct Watache thread this year based on qualifying route not what seems the best qualifying round 1 game

Are people still up for the Watache Threads? Past couple of years, I've been a bit bored of doing them. I'm happy to carry on though, if people enjoy them or their adding to the forum. It just seems that we spend a couple of weeks arguing who should get the first one, and when I do decide, everybody just acts like I've made the wrong decision anyway. Then there's always some tit who misses the point of it, and creates a Watache Thread about a random player, half way through the tournament.

Yeah, do it. It’s tradition. And tbh half the fun is in the bickering and criticism <laugh>

It wouldn’t be the Worlds without the Watache Threads.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:

Forum clutter?

Have you seen some of the threads on SI?!!

I would say the watache thread is relevant to most threads but its more the hostility that it creates as you say.

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah, do it. It’s tradition. And tbh half the fun is in the bickering and criticism <laugh>

It wouldn’t be the Worlds without the Watache Threads.

I agree with Prop; the watache threads are the ‘unwanted family members visiting over Christmas’ of the WC; we hate it, but it wouldn’t be the same without them! <ok>

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:I suspect Trump will get his second. He didn't look like winning the masters this year, and then he did. I think the same will happen in Sheffield.

I hope you're right <ok>
If this happens then it is time to party and bullsh111t
if not then it will be sulking for a few weeks.

Sorry, but I'm almost never right about these things!

Postby Iranu

The_Abbott wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:We could resurrect the Marco Fu watch thread

Does he still wear that watch? :chin:

Let’s watch!

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:I mean, it writes itself really doesn’t it?

Hear that, SF?

No need to write a thread after all <ok>