Post a reply

World Final

Postby Wildey

https://news.sky.com/story/moving-early ... s-12718755

The World Final Could be played on a Working Day Next Year.

But For a lot of people all over the World its always been the Case.

Is it Time to ditch this British Thing of the May Day being the Final of the World Championship and Play the Final on Saturday and Sunday

Re: World Final

Postby Andre147

In 2020 the World Champs started on a Friday instead of Saturday and ended on Sunday. This is the way forward.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:In 2020 the World Champs started on a Friday instead of Saturday and ended on Sunday. This is the way forward.

Won't somebody think about the inconvenience to my Annual Leave taking?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:In 2020 the World Champs started on a Friday instead of Saturday and ended on Sunday. This is the way forward.

I will, but I have no influence on anyone that matters :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Won't somebody that has influence on anyone that matters think about the inconvenience to my Annual Leave taking?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Won't somebody that has influence on anyone that matters think about the inconvenience to my Annual Leave taking?

Doubt it.

But if you need a shoulder to cry on… <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Doubt it.

But if you need a shoulder to cry on… <ok>

:bird:

Postby SnookerFan

Hopes of a bank holiday ahead of the coronation weekend have been dealt a blow, amid warnings it will clash with next year's local elections.

King Charles III will be crowned at a ceremony on Saturday 6 May.

The government has said it is considering all options, including creating an extra day off or moving the scheduled 1 May bank holiday to give people a long weekend to mark the historic occasion.

Labour has also backed shifting the May Day bank holiday to coincide with the coronation.

But concerns have been raised over making Friday 5 May 2023 a national holiday because of votes being counted from local elections held in England on Thursday 4 May.

The Association of Electoral Administrators is seeking early clarification from the government.

Peter Stanyon, the organisation's chief executive, said: "A potential Friday bank holiday on 5 May 2023 may cause logistical issues, particularly around recruiting the large numbers of staff needed to work at election counts.

"With the coronation being such an historic occasion, people will of course want to celebrate with family and friends and take part in local and national events.

"A bank holiday on Monday 8 May would be much more manageable from an electoral perspective.

"Regardless of the decision, we would welcome certainty as soon as possible."

There is a precedent for moving the bank holiday to a Friday, as happened to create a long weekend to commemorate the 75th anniversary of VE Day in May 2020.

However, local, mayoral and police and crime commissioner elections were postponed that year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Next year's local polls will be the first major electoral test for Liz Truss's embattled government, with votes being held in scores of district councils, unitary authorities and metropolitan boroughs.

The coronation will take place in Westminster Abbey, eight months after the monarch's accession and the death of the Queen.

Buckingham Palace has confirmed the Queen Consort will be crowned alongside the King.

The palace said the ceremony would "reflect the monarch's role today and look towards the future" while staying "rooted in longstanding traditions and pageantry".

The Queen's coronation on 2 June 1953 was three hours long and had a congregation of 8,000 dignitaries.

The event was broadcast live on television, attracting record-breaking audiences around the world.

Charles's coronation is expected to be on a smaller scale and shorter, with suggestions that it could last just one hour with around 2,000 guests.

However, Business Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg has argued the King's coronation "needs to be done properly" despite the cost of living crisis and recent economic turmoil.

Speaking to Sky News earlier this week he said: "Nobody is talking about a coronation that will cost billions of pounds.

"I hope we see a coronation that is sufficiently dignified for our sovereign. This is a one-off cost.

"The last one was for a coronation for a reign of 70 years. So, this is not something that happens often, it needs to be done properly."

Although the King succeeded the throne when the Queen died, the coronation ceremony marks the formal investiture of a monarch's regal power.

The King will be 74 next May, making him the oldest person to be crowned in British history.

The service has been held in Westminster Abbey for 900 years.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronation-e ... n%20counts.

Postby The_Abbott

Charles hates snooker confirmed.

Postby SnookerEd25

This whole shebang is tedious as buck. I have no interest in any of it.

Except the snooker final, I’ll be wataching that regardless; whatever time, place or planet its on <ok>

Postby mick745

Coronation is on a Saturday, make the weekend a b/h weekend by moving the monday holiday to a week later, no disruption to the elections. Sorted.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:They're not moving the Bank Holiday.

They are creating a new one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63528830

Snooker is saved!

How does this save snooker again?

I dunno, man. Emily Frazer probably did something.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 26 Jan 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lhpirnie

mantorok wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Snooker is saved!

It doesn't for me. I'm working in May for an international bank. No such thing as 'May Day'.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:
mantorok wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Snooker is saved!

It doesn't for me. I'm working in May for an international bank. No such thing as 'May Day'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhewxd30ec

Postby McManusFan

mantorok wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Snooker is saved!

Means the final will be on a bank holiday.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:When is the indoor bowls World final?

January, usually a week after the Masters final.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

I should take the week off for that too.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

I should take the week off for that too.

You will, when you’re in your sixties.

Postby RunningSide

I'm in my sixties and polishing my bowls as we speak.

Postby SnookerEd25

RunningSide wrote:I'm in my sixties and polishing my bowls as we speak.

Great. <ok>

Don’t overdo it :no: