Post a reply

WST Classic Tickets

Postby lhpirnie

They have finally announced the status of the WST Classic, held in Morningside Arena, Leicester, from March 16-22.

The quote from the ticketing site says:

"Please note tickets are only available for the final day of the tournament on 22nd March."

That's the Q-finals (£15), semi-finals (£20) and final (£30).

Personally, I would have liked to go for the first couple of rounds, when more matches and more players are on view, so this is a disappointment. I can only assume that given the short notice, WST are concerned about ticket sales, and so limiting it to 1 day will boost the takers.

Re: WST Classic Tickets

Postby Minimum Break

Interesting that they are having 3 sessions on the Final day.

I had assumed they would be using 8 tables at the start like the old Home Nations events but it looks like it may only be 4 which means the first couple of rounds will be very dragged out.

Postby lhpirnie

Minimum Break wrote:Interesting that they are having 3 sessions on the Final day.

I had assumed they would be using 8 tables at the start like the old Home Nations events but it looks like it may only be 4 which means the first couple of rounds will be very dragged out.

They only ever have 4 tables in the Morningside Arena, but yes, they do only want to have the 4 tables for streaming. It's a shame, as the older 6- or 8-table events were a great atmosphere. But the top players complained when events weren't organised around them, and they always get what they want.

Postby Alex0paul

What the hell is the format if quarters, semis and final are all on the same day?!

Postby Iranu

Alex0paul wrote:What the hell is the format if quarters, semis and final are all on the same day?!

EIGHT MEN ENTER. ONE MAN LEAVES.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:What the hell is the format if quarters, semis and final are all on the same day?!

New Katy Price tv show?

Postby Alex0paul

Iranu wrote:

Sounds rubbish and completely open to match fixing with so many dead matches

Postby SnookerFan

The format is a bit mismatched. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, as a cobbled together, last minute tournament.

Hopefully, if it's retained next year, it'll have a better format.

Postby HappyCamper

the gibraltar open used to have last 16 to final in one day! certainly doable since all one session matches.

Postby Iranu

Alex0paul wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Sounds rubbish and completely open to match fixing with so many dead matches

It’s tournament structure, just short format.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:Aren't the early rounds ridiculously short?

best of seven up to the quarters.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:The format is a bit mismatched. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, as a cobbled together, last minute tournament.

Hopefully, if it's retained next year, it'll have a better format.

hopefully it won't be retained and they'll have some proper tournaments abroad.

Postby lhpirnie

Well it's best-of-7 until the semi-finals, then best-of-9, best-of-11.

That means the winner will need to win 15 frames on the final day (a Wednesday), out of a maximum of 27 frames in the day.

They have one show table, and on the final day Q-finals are played at 10am, and both semi-finals played simultaneously at 2:30pm, which means one of them will be played on a numpty table, which could give an advantage to the other guy.

Postby Juddernaut88

Silly having the quarter finals, semi final and final on the same day.

Postby D4P

Juddernaut88 wrote:Silly having the quarter finals, semi final and final on the same day.

Will it be Ryan's...?

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Silly having the quarter finals, semi final and final on the same day.

Will it be Ryan's...?

Not sure he’d survive having all that on top of him.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:
D4P wrote:

Will it be Ryan's...?

Well, if he can survive having his aunt on top of him...

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:
D4P wrote:

Will it be Ryan's...?

Well, if he can survive having his aunt on top of him...

rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:

pmsl

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

What do the other men do? Stay in Leicester?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Yes.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

As punishment for their loss.

Postby Minimum Break

If they play it as normal using 4 tables they'll need 3 days to get through Round 1, then 1.5 days for Round 2. Which leaves 1.5 days for Round 3 and 4.

The other option would be to play the top half of the draw down to the Quarter Finals over the first 3 days, then do the same for the bottom half for the next 3 days.

Postby Juddernaut88

Apparently coverage will only be available on Matchroom which is a bit annoying.

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Apparently coverage will only be available on Matchroom which is a bit annoying.

What? Not even on Disco+.

Well that's a subscription to cancel then.

Postby SnookerFan

Minimum Break wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I thought I'd seen somewhere it was on Discovery+

They advertised it as on Discovery Plus during the Welsh Open.

Confirmed now. This makes no sense at all.

https://wst.tv/wst-classic-to-be-broadc ... room-live/

Jeez, I just renewed D+ for a year.

Should have left it a couple of months, see if there was a deal.

There's nothing on until Crucible Qualifiers that I need it for. Maybe Six Reds, I guess.