Post a reply

Betvictor Scottish Open Semi finals!

Postby Juddernaut88

Image Image Image

Monday 28th November- Sunday 4th December at Meadowbank Sports Centre in Edinburgh

We head to the semi finals of the Scottish Open. Neil Robertson is the only top 16 player remaining and is certainly strong favourite and is showing form just at the right time with a convincing victory over Mark Selby. He will face Joe O'Connor. Thepchaiya Un Nooh and Gary Wilson will meet in the other semi final and it's a great opportunity for either of them to clinch their first "Proper ranking title"

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Saturday 3rd December

Semi finals (Best of 11)
13:00
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh 4-6 Gary Wilson
19:00
Neil Robertson 3-6 Joe O'Connor

Last edited by Juddernaut88 on 04 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Betvictor Scottish Open Semi finals!

Postby gninnur karona

All four players similarly positioned on the one-year list (albeit Neil Robertson skipped the first three ranking events of the season) . Gary Wilson just about inside the top 32 before his quarter-final joined by the other three after their victories. All four semi-finalists remain standing in the English Open, so although the Scottish Open finalists will have sealed their places in the World Grand Prix, the losers will have another opportunity at Brentwood to confirm their presence in the 32-player event.

Postby gallantrabbit

The last person I want to win is NR. Nothing against him but seeing Un nooh win would be wonderful for the game. Loaded with talent and nearly relegated last year...he needs a decent win to build confidence and step up against the top players.
Would also like to see Wilson come through and win something.

Postby Reg Varney

Similarly to Gallantrabbit's post, nothing against Robbo (especially after knocking out "The Jester") but a new winner would be great.

Postby Wildey

Raiel wrote:What a strange semi-final line up.

Get rid of best of sevens.

Snooker is not like it used to be.

its great for snooker having different players come through nothing at all to do with best of 7s Zhao Xintong won the UK Last season and Fan won the European Masters from Nowhere

Postby Raiel

Wildey wrote:
Raiel wrote:What a strange semi-final line up.

Get rid of best of sevens.

Snooker is not like it used to be.

its great for snooker having different players come through nothing at all to do with best of 7s Zhao Xintong won the UK Last season and Fan won the European Masters from Nowhere

Thinking about it, you are right. It is great for snooker having different players come through. (I was a bit annoyed because Judd lost again. :irk: )

Postby Raiel

Alex0paul wrote:Good to hear Kyren Wilson crying about something obscenely pathetic

Basically, Kyren Wilson implied that Gary Wilson should not have let off steam during the mid session interval because it could affect the other player (him). rofl

Yep, you would have to go a long way act more pathetically than that.

I assume Kyren is not an advocate of free speech (or free expression). :-D

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Good to hear Kyren Wilson crying about something obscenely pathetic

But he works so hard.

And is a right laff, to boot :shrug:

Postby LDS

Normally when we get lots of lower ranked players in the final stages it's because "the draw has opened up for them" in some way.

Think 2 years ago when Li Hang and Jamie Jones made the semi-finals here.

Jamie Jones' route was: Daniel Wells, Matthew Stevens, Sam Craigie, Eden Sharav, Kyren Wilson.
Li Hang's route was: Luo Honghao, Matthew Selt, Noppon Saengkham, Stuart Bingham, Judd Trump.

The only really major surprises being their potentially one-off quarter final wins.

However, this year, all our unusual placings have pretty much carved through everything possible:

Joe O'Connor: Zhang Jiankang, Zhao Xintong, Ding Junhui, Mark Williams, Ricky Walden
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh: Jordan Brown, Chang Bingyu, Mark Allen, Jamie Jones, Judd Trump
Gary Wilson: Jamie O'Neil, Ken Doherty, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Hossein Vafaei, Kyren Wilson

This is all a very far cry from having the odd surprise result after a relatively open run. It's more a case of who haven't they beaten on their path - Robbo? Well, potentially two of them have a good chance to do that as well!

Postby Raiel

BringBackTonyDrago wrote:Fun fact Joe O’Connor has only lost 1 match in his last 9 games played.

I can remember when Tony Drago was thin. He is thin again now, but that is because of illness. When he first came to the UK, he was as thin as a whippet.

Postby LDS

Raiel wrote:
BringBackTonyDrago wrote:Fun fact Joe O’Connor has only lost 1 match in his last 9 games played.

I can remember when Tony Drago was thin. He is thin again now, but that is because of illness. When he first came to the UK, he was as thin as a whippet.

Old-man metabolism stinks, huh.

Postby Alex0paul

LDS wrote:Did we ever find out why Sam Cragie abandoned his match? Has he spoken publicly since?

He had a chicken in the oven

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:Did we ever find out why Sam Cragie abandoned his match? Has he spoken publicly since?

he seemed a bit frustrated and fed up, his match earlier against andy zhang had been a struggle - he was down at 35sec ast i think. he had started playing some rather rash shots in the last couple of frames suggesting hid head had gone. probably didn't much fancy sitting watching walden clear up to win.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:Watching films today. Not snooker.

I will miss most of the action this afternoon. I'll probably only watch the first hour of it. I will the match this evening though.