Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Semi Finals !!!

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:i'm not convinced the tour championship is a huge deal given there's only 8 players.

There’s 128 players - only 8 make the finals.

you know what i meant.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Hendry is a BBC commentator speaking in 2017 (after they dropped the Grand Prix).

A few days ago, Hendry on commentary starting talking about the biggest tournaments. He named The World Championship, The Tour Championship, and The Masters. No mention of the UK.

The Tour Championship has the potential to be the most important tourney after the WC but the history isnt there yet. If it still exists in 15 years then it has a chance.

Imo Triple Crown tournaments are still the best benchmark for the era we are living in. In 20 years it could be different.

I agree with everything you’re saying - although I’d put the CoC slightly ahead of the TC because it has the extra history so far.

I also agree that the TC tournaments are the most important. I have an issue with the concept of the TC itself (being mentioned as total TC wins, TC badges etc) because we all know it’s the WC then the rest, so lumping it in with the UK and Masters seems wrong.

No doubt, fully agree on that one. I also dont see why someone who won all three multiple times has the same badge as someone who only won all three once.

I would get rid of the TC badge on the waistcoat and replace it with stars. One star for every World title win like it is in Football World Cup.

I think we’ve had this conversation before but I find the whole concept of crowns/stars/etc a bit tacky and smalltime (I feel the same about football shirts).

The history and the player quality should speak for itself without a silly iron-on badge.

Especially the most successful player doesn’t wear it. It makes everyone else seem a bit silly.

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:i'm not convinced the tour championship is a huge deal given there's only 8 players.

you know what i meant.

Yeah I did. I just think it’s a bit reductive to say the TC is only 8 players because the field starts out with the whole tour.

(Having said that, I don’t think the WGP and PC points should count towards the TC.)

Postby HappyCamper

it's a damn sight harder to be one of those eight than to get to the quater finals of pretty much any other event.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just made last orders in the bar.

Where’s Abi?

Not bucking here.

I think that was Angles that just walked in. I'd shake his hand if I hadn't just eaten a bag of Tyrrells.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:

Yep, TC is one of the best, think they should turn Triple crown into Quadruple crown, to include TC. How would that change who can wear a crown on their waistcoat? I know Robbo will still get to wear one, who else?

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Yep, TC is one of the best, think they should turn Triple crown into Quadruple crown, to include TC. How would that change who can wear a crown on their waistcoat? I know Robbo will still get to wear one, who else?

Only Ronnie and Robbo I think.

Postby HappyCamper

Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

o'sullivan, natuerlich.

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:

you know what i meant.

Yeah I did. I just think it’s a bit reductive to say the TC is only 8 players because the field starts out with the whole tour.

(Having said that, I don’t think the WGP and PC points should count towards the TC.)

fair point about the whole tour having a chance to qualify for the tour champs kinda forgot about that.disagree with the wgp and pc points not counting hearn wanted a fedex cup of snooker so the winner or somebody doing well enough in the wgp or pc can qualify for the tour champs.

Postby csprince

Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

a quadruple crown otherwise known as a grand slam.

Postby csprince

HappyCamper wrote:

it's a damn sight harder to be one of those eight than to get to the quater finals of pretty much any other event.

i may not have thought my point through fully :chin:

Postby Ck147

mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:“It could have been Take That but let’s talk The Beatles.

That was A Hard Day’s Night.”

Y’know what Yates? I’ll give you that.

you'll be complimenting jill next.

You shut your bucking mouth

Got to admit, she’s improved more in the last 12 months than I think she ever has previously.

Sounds like you love her, I do too, shall we fight to see who can go on to try to win her heart?

Postby csprince

Ck147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:

Got to admit, she’s improved more in the last 12 months than I think she ever has previously.

Sounds like you love her, I do too, shall we fight to see who can go on to try to win her heart?

think her hubby might have got there already and your married evening mrs ck :hatoff:

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:Sounds like you love her, I do too, shall we fight to see who can go on to try to win her heart?

I dunno whether you both deserve better, or just deserve each other

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:or just not bother with silly artificial groupings.

I agree. Let’s team up against the “Groupers”.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Sounds like you love her, I do too, shall we fight to see who can go on to try to win her heart?

There’s a lot you dunno

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

There’s a lot you dunno

Factual post

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

There’s a lot you dunno

Factual post

Wise words indeed

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Wise words indeed

Bit pompous

Lol, are you ever going to let that one go?

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:I think we’ve had this conversation before but I find the whole concept of crowns/stars/etc a bit tacky and smalltime (I feel the same about football shirts).

The history and the player quality should speak for itself without a silly iron-on badge.

Especially the most successful player doesn’t wear it. It makes everyone else seem a bit silly.

Iranu :bowdown:

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:

rofl

Case in point: that sign-off was bucking horrendous.

“First ITV final of the season ... [extremely pregnant pause] ... despite the Mixed Doubles.”

Oh gee, thanks for making all the efforts to legitimise the Mixed Doubles as an important showcase sound bucking pointless, Jill.

I know Dan will hate me for saying this but she’s so bad. And 9 years in, there’s really no excuse. She clearly just doesn’t give a rubbish about snooker and it shows every day.

I think your misreading that one. I think she was reading a dud script and the pause was her trying to correct it to account for the mixed doubles.

Postby HappyCamper

well, if higgins gets to decide these things, he acknowledges that the tour champ is bigger than the uk.

"It has taken over the UK Championship without a shadow of a doubt," insisted Higgins, who is aiming to end a memorable season with victory in Llandudno before he chases a fifth world title next month.

Postby Juddernaut88

HappyCamper wrote:well, if higgins gets to decide these things, he acknowledges that the tour champ is bigger than the uk.

"It has taken over the UK Championship without a shadow of a doubt," insisted Higgins, who is aiming to end a memorable season with victory in Llandudno before he chases a fifth world title next month.

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:I think your misreading that one. I think she was reading a dud script and the pause was her trying to correct it to account for the mixed doubles.

Nah screw her

Postby Holden Chinaski

HappyCamper wrote:well, if higgins gets to decide these things, he acknowledges that the tour champ is bigger than the uk.

Higgins doesn't get to decide anything. He was just an example of a player talking about Triple Crowns in the nineties, which is something that never happened according to people like Wild.

Hendry has said many times the Triple Crowns were always top of the list. Ronnie and Selby and many more keep saying it as well. If you look at the Twitter profiles of the top players, most of them only mention their Triple Crown titles in their bio.

For example, this is what Mark Selby writes in his bio on Twitter: "4x World Snooker Champion, 3x Masters Champion and 2x UK Champion. Also known as the Jester from Leicester."

And this is what Robbo writes: "Australian Snooker player. 3x player of the season. World Champion, triple crown winner."

Robbo doesn't even mention winning the Tour Championship twice.