Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Semi Finals !!!

Postby HappyCamper

LC wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Has Ryan Day ever won anything other than The Shoot-Out?

This is a good question. Hendon stated several times that Ryan had won three rankers, which surprised me.

I remember the shootout, he won a tournament in Romania, that wasn’t a ranker I’m fairly sure, but after that I’m struggling.

Anyone? :chin:

Riga Masters 2017

Gibraltar Open 2018
rubbish Show 2021

Reality is hes not won any in the real World Thats just Barry Hearn's fantasy land

:hatoff: <ok> :spot on:

Where Riga and Gibraltar best of 7 finals?

Riga was best of nine.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:They interviewed Abi pre-match.

She predicted a 6-3 win to Day.

Can’t happen :sad:

Sorry Abi, you may be bordering on perfection with your smouldering good looks and alabaster skin, but you’re just as sh*te as the rest of us when it comes to predicts :irk:

Postby Ck147

HappyCamper wrote:lol at that fan throwing his arms up after that williams miss.

Looked like SF

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Just give Mark Allen the trophy already. Selby must be kicking himself.

Selby did very little Wrong from 3-3 Allen is in form and a match for anyone on tour in any form

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:The record books will show what the record books will show.

People are not that stupid

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

People are definitely that stupid.

They should either upgrade the PTCs or downgrade the single-session-final tournaments.

But they won’t.

And ultimately, it doesn’t really matter. I don’t think the ‘ranking’ part of “ranking tournament winner” matters as much as the ‘tournament winner’ part.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

People are definitely that stupid.

They should either upgrade the PTCs or downgrade the single-session-final tournaments.

But they won’t.

And ultimately, it doesn’t really matter. I don’t think the ‘ranking’ part of “ranking tournament winner” matters as much as the ‘tournament winner’ part.

Point is at this moment in time Day Got so called 3 ranking Titles and Greame Dott has 2 People are not thick to think Day's achievement is Better Than Dott

Postby Ck147

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Just give Mark Allen the trophy already. Selby must be kicking himself.

Selby did very little Wrong from 3-3 Allen is in form and a match for anyone on tour in any form

Agreed, on top form he’s hard to beat, with his major weight loss (good for him) let’s hope he’s more consistent as he’s good to watch when playing well

Postby Ck147

Wise words indeed

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:

Wise words indeed

Wise and, if I may say so, slightly pompous.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Point is at this moment in time Day Got so called 3 ranking Titles and Greame Dott has 2 People are not thick to think Day's achievement is Better Than Dott

Oh yeah I agree with that 100%.

I’ve always been an advocate of ranking titles not telling the whole picture. Particularly when the World Championship is involved.

Dott = 1 x WC

Day = 0 x WC

Postby Wildey

Looking at Robbie Williams Breakbuilding, you just appreciate the Brilliance of Mark Allen in the balls even more

Postby HappyCamper

'ranking titles' has always been a meaningless measure as ranking events have always been heterogeneous.

plus ça change.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:'ranking titles' has always been a meaningless measure as ranking events have always been heterogeneous.

plus ça change.

FAO: BSP

Pompousness rating plz

Postby Wildey

HappyCamper wrote:'ranking titles' has always been a meaningless measure as ranking events have always been heterogeneous.

plus ça change.

it never used to be at one point it seamed there were boundaries that have now been eroded over the years When i was a kid you had the World and UK Then every other ranker THEN the Masters over the years the Masters has been elevated and any rubbish called ranker.

Postby Iranu

Okay I’m just gonna say it:

Despite the format, last year’s British Open was more enjoyable than this one.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:Okay I’m just gonna say it:

Not even close i dont rate that event at all just another piece of Barry Hearn rubbish

Postby TheRocket

Triple Crown titles > ranking titles. Triple Crown titles are the only three constants in the game and the best benchmark to compare players including from different generations. Any other tournament can come and go and then you can have more rankers or less rankers during a season.

Postby csprince

Wildey wrote:

Not even close i dont rate that event at all just another piece of Barry Hearn rubbish

barry hearn had nothing to do with the british open.steve dawson brought it back.

Postby LC

TheRocket wrote:Triple Crown titles > ranking titles. Triple Crown titles are the only three constants in the game and the best benchmark to compare players including from different generations. Any other tournament can come and go and then you can have more rankers or less rankers during a season.

I agree, look at this tournament for instance disappeared for 18 years then back for how long?

Postby Wildey

Both Robbie Williams and Ryan Day is out of the Northern Ireland Open

Robbie Williams lost 4-2 to Jackson Page and Ryan Day lost 4-1 to Ben Woollaston

Postby Wildey

csprince wrote:
Wildey wrote:

barry hearn had nothing to do with the british open.steve dawson brought it back.

we all know Steve Dawson is a Hearn Puppet

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

Last year there were deciders galore, this year has seen far more one-sided matches.

I always said that last year’s poor format was masked by how many close matches there were. This year is proving that.

Obviously, by the end of tomorrow’s two-session final that will no longer be the case.

Postby TheRocket

LC wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Triple Crown titles > ranking titles. Triple Crown titles are the only three constants in the game and the best benchmark to compare players including from different generations. Any other tournament can come and go and then you can have more rankers or less rankers during a season.

I agree, look at this tournament for instance disappeared for 18 years then back for how long?

Exactly. And apart from that pretty much all the players including the All Time Greats keep saying that the TC tournaments have a much higher importance.

Postby Iranu

Nah the Triple Crown is a bull construct by the BBC since they stopped showing the Grand Prix. Until then they would talk about the “Grand Slam of Snooker”. As soon as they dropped it, it became the “Triple Crown”.

Let’s be honest. It’s the World Championship and then it’s everything else. The relative importance of everything else is up for debate.

If history was important as you say (and as I think it should be) the Welsh Open would be the 4th biggest tournament on the calendar.