Post a reply

Cazoo British Open Qualifying !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 9th - Sunday 14th of August at the Robin Park Arena and Sports Centre, Wigan

The British Open made a comeback last year after 17 year absence under a rushed through Best of 5 Format this year though its taking the Home Nations Module of Best of 7s early on and extending to Best of 9s, 11s and a Best of 19 Final it hasent had a Best of 19 final since 1993 when Steve Davis beat James Wattana 10-2.

The Hiatus was booked Marked With Class of 92 winning John Higgins in 2004 and Mark Williams 2021, Ronnie O'Sullivan hasent won since 1994 his Second Ranking Title.

But Before those players Joins the Party there's qualifying in Wigan with 96 players going head to head to get into the main draw some big names in qualifying includes Jimmy White, Matthew Stevens, Stephen Maguire, Marco Fu, Dave Gilbert, Ryan Day, Ding Junhui, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, Ali Carter, Ken Doherty and Stephen Hendry.

Who will reach the Main stages in Milton Keynes?

DRAW

Selected Last 128 Matches
Anthony Hamilton v Jimmy White
Peter Lines v Robert Milkins
Michael White v Noppon Saengkham
Matthew Stevens v Stephen Maguire
Fan Zhengyi v Jamie Clarke
Cao Yupeng v Marco Fu
Ben Woollaston v James Cahill
Mark King v Lyu Haotian
Tom Ford v Mitchell Mann
David Gilbert v Aaron Hill
Hammad Miah v Allister Carter
Zhang Jiankang v Reanne Evans
Liang Wenbo v Dean Young
Rebecca Kenna v Ryan Day
Jamie Jones v Scott Donaldson
Ng On Yee v Ken Doherty
Matthew Selt v Lu Ning
Pang Junxu v Jordan Brown
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Martin Gould
Allan Taylor v Lukas Klechers
Ding Junhui v Oliver Lines
Mink Nutcharat v Chen Zifan
Stephen Hendry v Zhang Anda
Zhao Jianbo v Jackson Page

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Cazoo British Open Qualifying !!!

Postby gninnur karona

Matthew Selt versus Lu Ning highlights how rotten the decision to introduce advanced qualifying, further exacerbated by being staged behind closed doors, away from the main venue for the majority of ranking events.

Both inside the world's top 32, one a ranking finalist this very season, yet the loser of this match will by mid-October have been condemned to playing zero ranking matches in front of paying spectators for over six months.

Postby Wildey

gninnur karona wrote:Matthew Selt versus Lu Ning highlights how rotten the decision to introduce advanced qualifying, further exacerbated by being staged behind closed doors, away from the main venue for the majority of ranking events.

Both inside the world's top 32, one a ranking finalist this very season, yet the loser of this match will by mid-October have been condemned to playing zero ranking matches in front of paying spectators for over six months.

Spectators can go to qualifying this season

Postby cupotee

Wildey wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:Matthew Selt versus Lu Ning highlights how rotten the decision to introduce advanced qualifying, further exacerbated by being staged behind closed doors, away from the main venue for the majority of ranking events.

I phoned up the Morningside Arena in Leicester about a month before the European Masters Qualifiers to ask about watching the matches for that event there , the girl on the phone didn't know what I was talking about and could only refer to the Championship League which I didn't care about , it seemed like they had no expectation that people might actually want to watch matches that didn't involve the ' top ' players , seemed really sleepy and crappy to be honest , like it needs a bit of a shake - up.

Postby Wildey

cupotee wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I phoned up the Morningside Arena in Leicester about a month before the European Masters Qualifiers to ask about watching the matches for that event there , the girl on the phone didn't know what I was talking about and could only refer to the Championship League which I didn't care about , it seemed like they had no expectation that people might actually want to watch matches that didn't involve the ' top ' players , seemed really sleepy and crappy to be honest , like it needs a bit of a shake - up.

There was seats there but hardly anyone watching.

Jimmy and Hendry was there attracting 5 or 6 people no wonder then but those qualifiers was sandwiched the CL i think it will get easier now with it being exclusive to qualifiers in Wigan

Postby SnookerFan

The real question is, do I buy tickets to the Champion Of Champions?

The two things putting me off are I'd be going up early on, so would be watching the best of sevens. Prefer longer matches.

The other thing is that bucking dance-cam. I die before I dance.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:The real question is, do I buy tickets to the Champion Of Champions?

The two things putting me off are I'd be going up early on, so would be watching the best of sevens. Prefer longer matches.

If you do attend I'd recommend attending a semi final or final.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:The real question is, do I buy tickets to the Champion Of Champions?

You should get that put on a t shirt if you go. I’m sure that’ll keep the cameras off you…

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:

You should get that put on a t shirt if you go. I’m sure that’ll keep the cameras off you…

I do have two T-Shirts that say "I Don't Dance", that my mum got for me.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Job done <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

nah, just blag your way in.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Would probably make people even more likely to try to make you

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Would probably make people even more likely to try to make you

Yeah, I wasn't actually suggesting I'd wear them.

Postby Prop

Wildey wrote:
Prop wrote:“buck Matchroom”?

Why?

Because of their ridiculous ‘dance cam’, trying to turn snooker into something it’ll never be.

Postby Wildey

Prop wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Why?

Because of their ridiculous ‘dance cam’, trying to turn snooker into something it’ll never be.

Full marks for trying something different no sport want to be stale, however 0 Points for this idea and looking at some of those idiots doing it is worst than the idea.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Prop wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Why?

Full marks for trying something different no sport want to be stale, however 0 Points for this idea and looking at some of those idiots doing it is worst than the idea.

My issue with it, as I'm sure I've bored everybody with previously, is not that it exists. I mean, it only happens pre-match anyway. Get the fans going a bit. It's no different really from Rob Walker or Phil Seymour coming out to hype up the crowd. If people want to dance when there's music playing pre-match, who cares?

My issue is with them lobbing a camera at an unsuspecting person, and expecting them to perform on a big screen in front a crowd. Not everybody is going to want to do that, or be comfortable with that. I know the cameraman cut to the crowd during the match, so there's always a chance you'll get on TV. You pay for the tickets knowing that. What you don't want is some pin end with a video camera in your face, expecting you to perform for everybody in attendance when you're just minding your own business.

If there's music, and there happens to be people dancing anyway, then you show those on the big screen it's fair enough. But what if the people you are trying to film have social anxiety or whatever? It doesn't seem right somehow.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Prop wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Why?

My issue with it, as I'm sure I've bored everybody with previously, is not that it exists. I mean, it only happens pre-match anyway. Get the fans going a bit. It's no different really from Rob Walker or Phil Seymour coming out to hype up the crowd. If people want to dance when there's music playing pre-match, who cares?

My issue is with them lobbing a camera at an unsuspecting person, and expecting them to perform on a big screen in front a crowd. Not everybody is going to want to do that, or be comfortable with that. I know the cameraman cut to the crowd during the match, so there's always a chance you'll get on TV. You pay for the tickets knowing that. What you don't want is some pin end with a video camera in your face, expecting you to perform for everybody in attendance when you're just minding your own business.

If there's music, and there happens to be people dancing anyway, then you show those on the big screen it's fair enough. But what if the people you are trying to film have social anxiety or whatever? It doesn't seem right somehow.

great post snookerfan as someone who has social anxiety.it would put me of going to the snooker if i thought
i would be shown on tv or on the monitors in the arena and expected to dance you could also end up being booed by the crowd for not joining in.sports should be attracting people to live events not putting them of.they'll be bringing in kiss cams next.

Postby Wildey

Yea in a way it's invading Privacy People sitting there has no choice when a lunatic close to you starts Dancing and the camera turns round.

Lets Keep all that for arena entertainment. Nobody going to tune in to Snooker to see dancing between frames But plenty will be put off attending live.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Yea in a way it's invading Privacy People sitting there has no choice when a lunatic close to you starts Dancing and the camera turns round.

Lets Keep all that for arena entertainment. Nobody going to tune in to Snooker to see dancing between frames But plenty will be put off attending live.

I think it’s also perpetuating what seems to be a growing problem in snooker: people taking it as an opportunity to get drunk. It’s something that concerns have been raised about over the last season or so, and a stupid dance cam is only going to exacerbate that atmosphere.

Postby Raiel

Wildey wrote:Yea in a way it's invading Privacy People sitting there has no choice when a lunatic close to you starts Dancing and the camera turns round.

I hope snooker doesn't end up like darts. Imagine most of the snooker audience wearing fancy dress, swilling beer and singing and chanting whilst the matches are on. That might be the day I stop watching.

I have nothing against darts. I enjoy watching it. And the darts crowd are all enjoying themselves, which is great. But darts and snooker are two different things.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:I think it’s also perpetuating what seems to be a growing problem in snooker: people taking it as an opportunity to get drunk. It’s something that concerns have been raised about over the last season or so, and a stupid dance cam is only going to exacerbate that atmosphere.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not as bad as I used to be.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:

If you do attend I'd recommend attending a semi final or final.

Why's that?

Postby mantorok

Raiel wrote:

I hope snooker doesn't end up like darts. Imagine most of the snooker audience wearing fancy dress, swilling beer and singing and chanting whilst the matches are on. That might be the day I stop watching.

I have nothing against darts. I enjoy watching it. And the darts crowd are all enjoying themselves, which is great. But darts and snooker are two different things.

Same, Darts has traditionally been played in a noisy pub atmosphere, where-as Snooker was always played in the quiet back rooms or basements.

For the record I don't think it's going anywhere near the direction of a darts crowd, mid-match order will always be kept they're just trying to gee people up in between proceedings.