Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Qualifying !!!

Postby Wildey

48 best of 7 matches in 6 days

that is milking it

years ago i went to the Norbreck in blackpool 11+ tables a session walking around seeing match after match it was a experience now with only 2 matches it feels flat.

8 tables and 3 sessions start at 1pm lets officials enjoy the sunshine round of golf in the morning or a walk or just sunbathe.

Qualifying is just a means to a end lets get back to that no need to stream every match

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Qualifying is just a means to a end lets get back to that no need to stream every match

There's also no need to watch every match either.

Earlier in the week, when we thought this wasn't on Discovery+, we were all complaining. Now suddenly, we're saying that there's no need to stream every match?

If it's not for you, don't watch it. I saw exactly three frames this week, as I was doing other stuff. But I think that it's good that we have the choice to watch snooker if it's on. Just because I had stuff to do this week, doesn't mean that nobody else should be able to watch it if they want to.

I think it's good that we live in a time that we have the choice to watch any match we want to.

Postby Wildey

Theres a difference between no streaming and Streaming everything.

Qualifiers in the main should be for the fans going to the venue and the choice of matches to watch and if someone is desparatee to watch Rory McLeoad vs Rod Lawler put your hands in your pocket and go there.

These Days, if there's 8 or 6 Tables, 4 would be streaming anyway

What I'm saying is don't limit the experience for people that goes to watch at the venue just so every match is streamed only 2 matches a session is pretty flat.

This Week in Fuerth only 4 out of 6 is on Eurosport Player in that instance why limit the event to 6 days there is a total imbalance to what's happening it seems Streaming every Qualifier is more important than Main Events

Postby chengdufan

- Each player only has one qualifying match. Spreading them out doesn't lead to players waiting for days for their next match.
- Not everyone lives near the venue.
- Would you have 64 matches played over 2 days and them a break of a couple of weeks until the next main event, or spread the 64 matches over the 2 weeks so that fans can tune in whenever they have time to catch a game?

Postby Wildey

chengdufan wrote:- Each player only has one qualifying match. Spreading them out doesn't lead to players waiting for days for their next match.
- Not everyone lives near the venue.
- Would you have 64 matches played over 2 days and them a break of a couple of weeks until the next main event, or spread the 64 matches over the 2 weeks so that fans can tune in whenever they have time to catch a game?

Its a boring scenario for fans at the venue believe me it feels like theres nothing going there they win theire match then wait for their next anyway .

It won't encourage people to attend, that's for sure

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Theres a difference between no streaming and Streaming everything.

Qualifiers in the main should be for the fans going to the venue and the choice of matches to watch and if someone is desparatee to watch Rory McLeoad vs Rod Lawler put your hands in your pocket and go there.

What I'm saying is don't limit the experience for people that goes to watch at the venue just so every match is streamed only 2 matches a session is pretty flat.

This Week in Fuerth only 4 out of 6 is on Eurosport Player in that instance why limit the event to 6 days there is a total imbalance to what's happening it seems Streaming every Qualifier is more important than Main Events

Not everybody can just decide to take time out of their lives/job, to travel to another part of the country at short notice just because they fancy going to a match. And what about travel costs/hotels bills? Everybody can afford to do that whenever they want, can they?

It's okay to say people should attend, if you're assuming the person lives in Wigan (in this instance) and can just wonder along whenever they feel like it. But snooker is becoming a global sport. It's not safe to assume that fans live in the UK any more, let alone Wigan. Should we tell people in Germany or China to "put their hands in their pockets" and travel here, just so they can have match choice?

Besides, I don't see how much it'll affect people's attendances. Sure, there might be a few that don't go if they can just watch on Discovery+ instead. But, let's face it, you can say that about all snooker/sport. Will people stop going to The Crucible because all matches are on the BBC? Should we not put snooker TV or streams at all, to encourage even more people to go?

One time, when you could sign up for a year to watch snooker qualifiers on the World Snooker website, I watched a couple of matches in Crawley on it. As Crawley is local to me, I decided to go up for a day. I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't been streaming the matches that week, because I wouldn't have known the qualifiers were in Crawley. So, though televising or streaming matches does give people the opportunity to watches matches on their screens rather than attend live, it also makes it more visible and advertises the sport more. The more people are aware that the qualifiers are being held, the more chance you'll attend live. So it's swings and roundabouts with that. Snooker isn't like Premier League football, where there is already a high awareness of matches. We're still relatively minor in terms of mainstream interest. So I'd say the pros of raising awareness outweighs the cons of losing a few fans because they can watch by other means.

And don't forget as well, we're talking about streams being on Discovery+ / Eurosport Player here. Only the hardcore nutters like us are going to have that. It's not like we're talking about live snooker qualifiers being shown on prime time TV here. So not everybody will have full access to these qualifiers anyway.

Also, remember, that attending live matches is a completely different experience to watching at home. I've attended loads of snooker matches that I could sit and watch at home if I wanted to. I imagine more people want to go for the experience rather than because they're pysched about watching Rory McLeoad vs Rod Lawler.

Postby Iranu

I’m still not entirely clear why they can’t just stream eight matches at a time to be honest. Is it a contractual thing?

Betting companies and Chinese broadcasters seem to be able to do it without a problem.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:I’m still not entirely clear why they can’t just stream eight matches at a time to be honest. Is it a contractual thing?

Betting companies and Chinese broadcasters seem to be able to do it without a problem.

I don't know why they don't do it, to be honest. Maybe it is just a contractual thing. I'd suggest it might be a costs thing, if you hadn't already pointed out that betting companies didn't already do it.

I doubt it's to encourage more people to go and see Rod Lawler vs Rory McLeod play though. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:

Not everybody can just decide to take time out of their lives/job, to travel to another part of the country at short notice just because they fancy going to a match. And what about travel costs/hotels bills? Everybody can afford to do that whenever they want, can they?

It's okay to say people should attend, if you're assuming the person lives in Wigan (in this instance) and can just wonder along whenever they feel like it. But snooker is becoming a global sport. It's not safe to assume that fans live in the UK any more, let alone Wigan. Should we tell people in Germany or China to "put their hands in their pockets" and travel here, just so they can have match choice?

Besides, I don't see how much it'll affect people's attendances. Sure, there might be a few that don't go if they can just watch on Discovery+ instead. But, let's face it, you can say that about all snooker/sport. Will people stop going to The Crucible because all matches are on the BBC? Should we not put snooker TV or streams at all, to encourage even more people to go?

One time, when you could sign up for a year to watch snooker qualifiers on the World Snooker website, I watched a couple of matches in Crawley on it. As Crawley is local to me, I decided to go up for a day. I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't been streaming the matches that week, because I wouldn't have known the qualifiers were in Crawley. So, though televising or streaming matches does give people the opportunity to watches matches on their screens rather than attend live, it also makes it more visible and advertises the sport more. The more people are aware that the qualifiers are being held, the more chance you'll attend live. So it's swings and roundabouts with that. Snooker isn't like Premier League football, where there is already a high awareness of matches. We're still relatively minor in terms of mainstream interest. So I'd say the pros of raising awareness outweighs the cons of losing a few fans because they can watch by other means.

And don't forget as well, we're talking about streams being on Discovery+ / Eurosport Player here. Only the hardcore nutters like us are going to have that. It's not like we're talking about live snooker qualifiers being shown on prime time TV here. So not everybody will have full access to these qualifiers anyway.

Also, remember, that attending live matches is a completely different experience to watching at home. I've attended loads of snooker matches that I could sit and watch at home if I wanted to. I imagine more people want to go for the experience rather than because they're pysched about watching Rory McLeoad vs Rod Lawler.

Having said all that, I do think the "having less on TV to encourage more people to attend" would work more at something like the UK Championships where people are more aware that it already exists.

Not that I'm saying that they should reduce TV coverage of one of the "majors", but less marketing is required for the UKs, and more people will be wanting to attend York anyway. So seeing a match that they couldn't see anyway might be an incentive to go.

For British Open qualifiers in Wigan, that are only available on Discovery+, I can't see that it's going to make much difference to attendance how many matches that you can stream. These are the events that only a few people go to, and the WST need to be marketing more. Making a big deal out of Judgement Day for The Crucible has encouraged more people to pay attention to it.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:Double zebra.

Read this.

:bird:

I can’t. I’m busy concentrating on the commentary and my tiny brain wouldn’t cope.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Good Luck to people in Scotland watching Greame Dott v Zhou Yuelong today in the main stages of a ranking event

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Good Luck to people in Scotland watching Greame Dott v Zhou Yuelong today in the main stages of a ranking event

What's your point?

I thought you were anti-them streaming everything?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:I’m still not entirely clear why they can’t just stream eight matches at a time to be honest. Is it a contractual thing?

I don't know why they don't do it, to be honest. Maybe it is just a contractual thing. I'd suggest it might be a costs thing, if you hadn't already pointed out that betting companies didn't already do it.

I doubt it's to encourage more people to go and see Rod Lawler vs Rory McLeod play though. <laugh>

That's my dream match to watch.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Good Luck to people in Scotland watching Greame Dott v Zhou Yuelong today in the main stages of a ranking event

What's your point?

its flat and pointless streaming everything in Qualies and dont give a buck about main stages

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What's your point?

its flat and pointless streaming everything in Qualies and dont give a buck about main stages

Be nice if they streamed everything in the main competition too though. No need for it to be either/or.

Though, as with your point about people attending if they want to watch everything live, that you could say that appeals more to the main competition. Because people are more likely to attend later stages, than qualifiers. Some of the qualifying tournaments they don't even let fans in to.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What's your point?

Be nice if they streamed everything in the main competition too though. No need for it to be either/or.

Though, as with your point about people attending if they want to watch everything live, that you could say that appeals more to the main competition. Because people are more likely to attend later stages, than qualifiers. Some of the qualifying tournaments they don't even let fans in to.

If there's 4 tables stream 4 tables in Quallies played over 3 days instead of milking it over 6 days with only 2 matches per sesson it will not be a good experience at the Qualifiers it feels flat on tv even