Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Qualifying !!!

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Lu Ning won 4-3 agains Matt Selt.

The last frame must have been one of the longest in history

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:I could be watching this, if I hadn't left my Firestick at home.

Instead watching Susan Calman on the Pembrokeshire Coast with my mum.

That is pretty careless at this level.

Postby Wildey

Prop wrote:
Wildey wrote:The Main problem with Hendry's Comeback is his legacy to the younger people, or Sense deprived that this is Stephen Hendry just slightly off his Best.

Believe me everything about Stephen's Game today is way off what it was his Cue Action has changed massively from the 80s/90s Hendry to the one retired in 2012 But now it's so mechanical like he's had to re-invent it problem is Stephen even now going for the right shot but can't play it.

If he was going to come back he needed to Channel the likes of Barry Pinches rather than any of the top players then he could have half a chance to compete

Yep. I watched a YT vid the 87 Grand Prix final yesterday and he had a completely different cue action then to the twilight Hendry. Really long bridge, very loose. For people that watched him do the business, this attempted comeback is harmless. But some of the younger fans might not be aware of just how good he really was, and judge him on this mess.

Theres this myth doing the rounds that he could not play safety.

When you went toe to toe with players in the 80s and 90s if you cant play safe you are dead

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Theres this myth doing the rounds that he could not play safety.

To be fair if it is a myth, it’s a myth that he perpetuates himself as well.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:I could be watching this, if I hadn't left my Firestick at home.

what is your mum doing with susan calman?

Postby HappyCamper

"In frame 3 O'Neill failed 14-times to get out of a snooker and gave away 61 points by doing so. After the 14th miss he needed snooker."

Riveting stuff.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:Theres this myth doing the rounds that he could not play safety.

To be fair if it is a myth, it’s a myth that he perpetuates himself as well.

In a way your right

But what he said was tongue in cheek that safety is overrated that doesn't mean he couldn't play it he just didn't want to and as his career went on and declined he played up to it more and more.

But any player that went toe to toe with Steve Davis over 31 Frames in the UK Final in 1989 and 1990 could play safety to a high standard.

In 1987 Semi Final of the International Open Stephen had a lesson from Cliff Thorburn Hendry lost 9-1 and he got a lesson that day and he learned quickly just a month later he won the Grand Prix beating Dennis Taylor 10-7 after losing twice previously to Taylor.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:

And what the hell has it got to do with Dominic Dale?!? :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

BringBackTonyDrago wrote:Does anyone else think this format is awful ??? It doesn’t sit right with me.

It's better than last year.

Best of seven semis, best of eleven final, no play Sunday afternoon? Pathetic.

Could do with the first rounds with a bit of commentary though. The random is a great, underused idea. Tournaments are always better for having that. Let's embrace it.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:

Filming a Channel 5 travel documentary.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
BringBackTonyDrago wrote:Does anyone else think this format is awful ??? It doesn’t sit right with me.

It's better than last year.

Best of seven semis, best of eleven final, no play Sunday afternoon? Pathetic.

Could do with the first rounds with a bit of commentary though. The random is a great, underused idea. Tournaments are always better for having that. Let's embrace it.

Like you i dont understand what he means

Its basically the same frame format as the home nations since 2016 with a longer final ok you could play all matches at the venue with 8 tables but all qualifiers are streamed not so sure with the venue stages for us in Britain.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I just wish they would have scrapped qualifiers for this tournament and the home nation events as well.

It's not perfect this year. Maybe could do with another rejig.