Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Qualifying !!!

Postby Juddernaut88

HappyCamper wrote:the matches are showing on eurosport player for me. i'm in the uk and i'm not doing any vpn shenanigans.

I've just checked and it is on for me as well and I'm in the UK <ok>
I probably should have checked this morning but I just wrongly assumed it wasn't available lol.

Postby SteveJJ

Juddernaut88 wrote:75 break from Zhang Anda and he wins 4-1.
Will Stephen Hendry win a match on the main tour ever again?

Depends if he enters, gets a kind draw and run of the ball in the shootout

Postby primitivesludge

Hendry was unlucky with the draw. He showed he could play, although his lack of fight in frame 1 was a big no no for me. He'd have probably beaten all of the first session players.

Postby stanley_

I was always a big Hendry fan and he was one of the main reasons I watched as a kid. In fact, I practically stopped watching when he retired and only got interested again in recent years.

I honestly think they have to stop handing out wildcards like this. It makes sense for players like Fu who have genuine reasons why they couldn't play but it's a waste of time with older players who are no longer good enough. If those players want to play on tour, they should have to go through qualifying like everyone else. We've got plenty of older players who are able to get through Q school and who are no more than journeymen so if the likes of Hendry and White can't come through it, they shouldn't be on tour at all.

I think I'm right in saying Jimmy won two matches last season (against Maddocks and Hill) and Hendry won one. Doherty had a better record but could probably have got through Q School a couple of times when he's dropped off the tour.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:There's no reason that ITV can't put this on the ITV Hub, or whatever their streaming service is called.

There must be a reason. Ok, chances are it probably isn’t the best reason. It usually comes down to whether there’s enough profit in it.

I may be wrong, but I believe that ITV has a contract that states none of their tournaments can be shared with Eurosport. (In the UK.)

The BBC have no such contract

Postby Wildey

stanley_ wrote:I was always a big Hendry fan and he was one of the main reasons I watched as a kid. In fact, I practically stopped watching when he retired and only got interested again in recent years.

I honestly think they have to stop handing out wildcards like this. It makes sense for players like Fu who have genuine reasons why they couldn't play but it's a waste of time with older players who are no longer good enough. If those players want to play on tour, they should have to go through qualifying like everyone else. We've got plenty of older players who are able to get through Q school and who are no more than journeymen so if the likes of Hendry and White can't come through it, they shouldn't be on tour at all.

I think I'm right in saying Jimmy won two matches last season (against Maddocks and Hill) and Hendry won one. Doherty had a better record but could probably have got through Q School a couple of times when he's dropped off the tour.

Hendry did win 2 last season Wakelin and Michael White

Postby primitivesludge

Hendry was really unlucky in the UKs as he lost 6-1 against Thepchaiya, who made 5 centuries and 2 x 50. No one can beat someone on that form, really.

On balance he probably should hang it up if he isn't going to commit.

Postby LC

I think hendry regrets retiring at 43 after seeing that the class of 92 have easily been able to hold there own in there mid 40s, he thought he could maybe still do it in his 50s but too much time away and possibly being a level below the class of 92s standard even at his peak, and he’s getting pumped regularly

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:the matches are showing on eurosport player for me. i'm in the uk and i'm not doing any vpn shenanigans.

Phil Haigh mentioned on Twitter yesterday that they’ve just decided to show it on ES Player. Somebody came to their senses.

Postby Wildey

Prop wrote:

Phil Haigh mentioned on Twitter yesterday that they’ve just decided to show it on ES Player. Somebody came to their senses.

Yea how Stupid that ITV not showing anything until end of September And they did not think to show them on British eurosport from the off in August

Postby Wildey

The Main problem with Hendry's Comeback is his legacy to the younger people, or Sense deprived that this is Stephen Hendry just slightly off his Best.

Believe me everything about Stephen's Game today is way off what it was his Cue Action has changed massively from the 80s/90s Hendry to the one retired in 2012 But now it's so mechanical like he's had to re-invent it problem is Stephen even now going for the right shot but can't play it.

If he was going to come back he needed to Channel the likes of Barry Pinches rather than any of the top players then he could have half a chance to compete

Postby Prop

Wildey wrote:The Main problem with Hendry's Comeback is his legacy to the younger people, or Sense deprived that this is Stephen Hendry just slightly off his Best.

Believe me everything about Stephen's Game today is way off what it was his Cue Action has changed massively from the 80s/90s Hendry to the one retired in 2012 But now it's so mechanical like he's had to re-invent it problem is Stephen even now going for the right shot but can't play it.

If he was going to come back he needed to Channel the likes of Barry Pinches rather than any of the top players then he could have half a chance to compete

Yep. I watched a YT vid the 87 Grand Prix final yesterday and he had a completely different cue action then to the twilight Hendry. Really long bridge, very loose. For people that watched him do the business, this attempted comeback is harmless. But some of the younger fans might not be aware of just how good he really was, and judge him on this mess.

Postby chengdufan

With the score at 30-27, they've gone for a re-rack. Hopefully second time around it won't be such a turgid frame

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:I think the tournament director has decided to pull them off.

Nope, looks like they're carrying on. They just decided to remove Selt's water.

Postby cupotee

I've got Oliver Lines on a nine fold that will return a fair whack , Tian Pengfei is class , he should have won 4 frames in a row but fouled in off after potting the final green enabling Craigie to pull back to 2-4 , didnt let it bother him though , casually cleaned up in the next.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:So, is it on Discovery+ or not?

Apart from accounts with an IP address in Croydon.