Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Shoot Out !!!

Postby Cazoo

John Dalton wrote:
Cazoo wrote:
John Dalton wrote:First match of the shootout is Hossein Vafaei v Shaun Murphy. Followed by Vladislav Gradinari v Ng On Yee. I like watching people I have never seen before and I have never even heard of Vladislav Gradinari. Should be fun.

It is always nice to see some new faces, and the Shoot Out always provides this. I feel like this tournament gets unnecessary stick, but I’ve found it enjoyable over the years.

I think it's a bit mad for it to be a ranking tournament. But it's a good laugh anyway. I enjoy it.

Oh yeah I totally agree. It should never have been changed to a ranking event. The format itself is fun and should have a place on the calendar.

Postby The_Abbott

Most of the more established players looked embarrassed to win this event as a ranking event. Its fine for a lesser player. Most only play for the ranking points.

It needs to be seen as just a bit of fun

Postby Cazoo

The_Abbott wrote:Most of the more established players looked embarrassed to win this event as a ranking event. Its fine for a lesser player. Most only play for the ranking points.

It needs to be seen as just a bit of fun

I think this is true. It was also more fun when there were no ranking points involved, players seemed to enjoy themselves more. I think one year this tournament determined one of the players getting into the Players Championship, which is ridiculous really.

Postby HappyCamper

remember that time dominic dale won and started singing sinatra.

Postby John Dalton

The_Abbott wrote:
John Dalton wrote:First match of the shootout is Hossein Vafaei v Shaun Murphy. Followed by Vladislav Gradinari v Ng On Yee. I like watching people I have never seen before and I have never even heard of Vladislav Gradinari. Should be fun.

I've never heard of Shaun Murphy either. Sounds a right noob.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that post? I'm pretty confident that I understand the meaning. But I don't want to commit until I'm 100% sure. Thanks.

Postby The_Abbott

John Dalton wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that post? I'm pretty confident that I understand the meaning. But I don't want to commit until I'm 100% sure. Thanks.

You said you like wataching players you don't normally see and Murphy was mentioned in your post (even though I knew you weren't talking about him in your second sentence). My humour must have got lost in translation :emb:

Postby Cazoo

John Dalton wrote:
Cazoo wrote:https://youtu.be/7yQakrb1I8M

Great video. I have never seen that before. That Thomond in off cracked me up.

Instant karma for him trying to run the clock down!

Postby BringBackTonyDrago

See I think this is a great tournament for it to be classed as a ranking event. The format of this shoot out is so random and different that I think it makes the normal snooker brain have to think out the box. It’s also great for the players outside the top 64 or even top 32 to have a chance at saying they have won a ranking event in their career. I can understand why the traditionalist will be against it, but I think this sport needs something like this to give them players down at the bottom of the rankings and also the amateurs that are invited to play motivation to try and do well on it and get/stay on the tour. Let’s say you are on a losing streak and manager to win this tournament or get to semi final, it can do wonders for confidence and give players a boost going into the next tournament with a fresh head. Just my two cents but I like it, I just wish Ronnie would play. Something like this is made for him tbh especially the amount of times where he said he doesn’t really care about snooker too much anymore. ALSO £50k for the winner would pretty much NEAR enough secure a two year card on tour along with other little top ups in other tournaments.

Postby John Dalton

The_Abbott wrote:
John Dalton wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

You said you like wataching players you don't normally see and Murphy was mentioned in your post (even though I knew you weren't talking about him in your second sentence). My humour must have got lost in translation :emb:

I'm sorry. I took your post the wrong way. I thought you were referencing me being a noob on snooker island. There have been a few people here who have being bullying new members like Cazoo and myself and I thought you were doing the same thing. Please accept my apologies. I am really sorry.

Postby Iranu

John Dalton wrote:I'm sorry. I took your post the wrong way. I thought you were referencing me being a noob on snooker island. There have been a few people here who have being bullying new members like Cazoo and myself and I thought you were doing the same thing. Please accept my apologies. I am really sorry.

And what does Cazoo think?

Postby Cazoo

Iranu wrote:
John Dalton wrote:I'm sorry. I took your post the wrong way. I thought you were referencing me being a noob on snooker island. There have been a few people here who have being bullying new members like Cazoo and myself and I thought you were doing the same thing. Please accept my apologies. I am really sorry.

If you wanted to know what I thought you could have asked me directly. Instead, you chose to be nasty. I’ve decided to add you to my ignore list for your continued bullying of myself and other members here. Apparently there are no repercussions for your behaviour.

Postby Iranu

Cazoo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

If you wanted to know what I thought you could have asked me directly. Instead, you chose to be nasty. I’ve decided to add you to my ignore list for your continued bullying of myself and other members here. Apparently there are no repercussions for your behaviour.

What does John Dalton think of this development?

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder if it's time to give up my; "Never watching the shoot-out whilst it carries ranking points" stance. It's not like my protest means anything. It won't change. And each year, I get a little bit less angry/hurt about the decision.

Saying that, should really stand by my beliefs that it's a truly wrong decision. I already broke my; "I'll never attend the UK Championship whilst it's best of eleven" promise. And it was never any event I enjoyed/got into anyway.

Postby SnookerFan

Talking of shot clock snooker, who remembers The Premier League?

Can you believe it's more than a decade since that stopped?

Always tried to get into that, but I never could.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Cazoo wrote:Ronnie, Judd, Robertson and Higgins have not entered. The rest of the top 16 will be playing. McGill, who is ranked 19th is the only other notable absentee.

Ronnie hasn't entered this in ages, he probably sees it as a waste of time.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:I wonder if it's time to give up my; "Never watching the shoot-out whilst it carries ranking points" stance. It's not like my protest means anything. It won't change. And each year, I get a little bit less angry/hurt about the decision.

Saying that, should really stand by my beliefs that it's a truly wrong decision. I already broke my; "I'll never attend the UK Championship whilst it's best of eleven" promise. And it was never any event I enjoyed/got into anyway.

I initially quite enjoyed it, but I can't get into it these last few years, there's so many better tournaments, I really believe it's run it's course and should be scrapped entirely.

Postby Reg Varney

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cazoo wrote:Ronnie, Judd, Robertson and Higgins have not entered. The rest of the top 16 will be playing. McGill, who is ranked 19th is the only other notable absentee.

Ronnie hasn't entered this in ages, he probably sees it as a waste of time.

2020 was the last time he entered it (lost to Billy Joe Castle in the Last 64). Think it was a case where he needed the ranking points to qualify for later events like the Players Championship and Tour Championship (which he never ended up qualifying for in the end).

Postby McManusFan

It does seem less fun and frivolous since they made it a ranker. The time limit on the frame also encourages really negative play - make a 40 and then stall for time.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I wonder if it's time to give up my; "Never watching the shoot-out whilst it carries ranking points" stance. It's not like my protest means anything. It won't change. And each year, I get a little bit less angry/hurt about the decision.

I initially quite enjoyed it, but I can't get into it these last few years, there's so many better tournaments, I really believe it's run it's course and should be scrapped entirely.

The first few years it was on Sky Sports, so didn't see much. I don't get Sky Sports, and never cared enough to stream it. I think I saw the first ever evening it was on, and that was it. When it moved on ITV4, I really tried to get into it, sat down and watched the entire Friday night and just didn't like it much. In fact, I remember being incredibly bored by it.

I think it was the second year that it was on ITV4 that it became a ranker, and I haven't watched a second of it since.

I think the WST is stuck between a rock and a hard place. In that, the Shoot-Out always does good crowds, but mediocre television ratings. As oppose to proper snooker, which is often the other way around. The ranking points was an attempt to get bigger names to turn up, in an attempt to get more TV viewers. It never really worked. The big time players only turn up if they need the points to get into the Players Championship or The Tour Championship.

Postby chengdufan

I know I'm in the minority, but I love watching the shootout. A rare chance to watch the majority of the lower ranked players. Genuine excitement and tenseness in each frame. Underdog wins aplenty...
Obviously, the quality isn't as good as in a snooker match, but there's a lot more to the game than big breaks and telling safeties.

Postby gninnur karona

SnookerFan wrote:The ranking points was an attempt to get bigger names to turn up, in an attempt to get more TV viewers. It never really worked. The big time players only turn up if they need the points to get into the Players Championship or The Tour Championship.

All four of the finalists from the last two ShootOuts participated in this month's Masters.

Assuming no last-minute withdrawals 15 of the top 16 on the one-year list are playing in the ShootOut, the one absentee Judd Trump.

Postby Lou147

I didnt realise Murphy was punditing for Eurosport as well

Postby Mr Snooker

Hi all Any free  live streams for this event, if so please do share and I will; do the same if I find them, thanks 

Postby Lou147

10 SECOND SHOT CLOCK NOW IN OPERATION