Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final :- Trump v O'Sullivan

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I think Judd will surpass his ranking title tally eventually but cant see anyone in the future win 7 World titles and 21 Triple Crown titles. And the old man isnt done yet either. So a few more titles probably to come.

Someone will beat his TC record eventually. Someone’s bound to. That’s what happens to records. It won’t happen for a long time though - particularly as like you say, he could still extend the record by a few.

The game as a whole is too balanced nowadays, too many good players, no one can dominate.

I don't think anyone will come close to his triple crown record.
But Judd can definitely beat his nr. of ranking events and tons, given how many events there are now.

People have said this about all sorts of records that have since been broken. It might not happen in the next 20, 50, or 100 years, but it will happen at some point.

After all, Ronnie has broken Hendry’s TC record without dominating like he did.

We just dont know. For instance it is very likely Trump will beat the centuries record. Trump also has ten years on the co92 without (seemingly) too much coming through behind him. And it only takes one player to become slightly better than all the rest to sweep up trophies regularly.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I think Judd will surpass his ranking title tally eventually but cant see anyone in the future win 7 World titles and 21 Triple Crown titles. And the old man isnt done yet either. So a few more titles probably to come.

Someone will beat his TC record eventually. Someone’s bound to. That’s what happens to records. It won’t happen for a long time though - particularly as like you say, he could still extend the record by a few.

The game as a whole is too balanced nowadays, too many good players, no one can dominate.

I don't think anyone will come close to his triple crown record.
But Judd can definitely beat his nr. of ranking events and tons, given how many events there are now.

People have said this about all sorts of records that have since been broken. It might not happen in the next 20, 50, or 100 years, but it will happen at some point.

After all, Ronnie has broken Hendry’s TC record without dominating like he did.

Its taken Ronnie 21 years between 1st and 7th and 30 years since Turning Pro.

It took Hendry 9 years between 1st and 7th and 14 years after Turning Pro.

Hendry had a Dominating Era Ronnie had longevity.

Had Ronnies Time lasted as short as Davis and Hendry he would have finished with 2 World Titles, 2 Masters, and 3 UK.

But hes been able to carry on far longer than Hendry and Davis has managed Partly because he had Goals that was virtually achieved for the other two and the most talented player theres ever bean.

Postby Dan-cat

LethalWeapon193 wrote:Honestly what a special evening. To be there to witness not only my favourite snooker player of all time, but my favourite sportsman of all time create history was truly special.

I took my Dad who had never been to the crucible before, his favourite player is Judd and even he was loving every minute and said how fully deserved Ronnie was. To spend that evening with my Dad as well just made it an even more special occasion.

Full respect to Judd he put up a great effort and is a fantastic player in his own right.

The night belonged however to the greatest player that has ever picked up a cue. What a special talent and what a special night. A night that will forever live with me.

Absolutely outstanding Ronnie O'Sullivan!

Great post and lucky, lucky you!! I watched the final session on 4G on my phone at the bottom of a mountain due to a solar power outage. I was there in 2013 though :)

Postby hendry_fan

NOW LISTEN UP EVERYONE!!!!.LET ME TELL YA SUMTHING!!!.

STEPHEN HENDRY IS STILL THE GREATEST EVER!.

BECAUSE!,................

,..............HENDRY HAS BEEN IN 9 WC FINALS,RONNIES <ONLY> BEEN IN 8!. :happy:

So The Ronsters stilll got a bit o work to do!.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!,i bet i got sum o ya there haaaa!!!. ;-) <laugh>

In all seriousness now though.Yep,HF was GUTTED!.But from me bein gutted has now dropped to me now only bein disappointed. :-)

The only thing that really bugged me,which is a critic,and yep,it,s allowed to bring a critic!,is that it,s annoying that many players still rarely serve up what there really capable of,when they play against Ronnie,i,m sick n tired many players who play poor,rubbish against him,but one could argue that that aint Ronnies fault,or maybe it is,he,s obviously still got an intense Aura,which puts many off,which intimidates them,that they rarely perform there best,to a top level when they play against him.

In this WC alone,Gilbert,Allen Mags,Higgins and Trump did,nt exactly bring there best to the table did they,in fact far from it!.

I scincerly hope that many finaly start to stop bein intimated and start to produce what they can more often than not when they play against him.

Now you can critisise me in bringing this up,in pointin it out,but most know full well that it,s true!.

One could also argue,that it,s up to the rest of the crop to start playing very good,playing great against him!.

Anyway,thats all from me for quite a bit,i,like i,m sure everyone,(bar SF),needs a break from snooker and from here!. :-D

Have a good un everyone!. :peace:

VERY WELL DONE TO RONNIE,CONGRATS TO HIS FANS,ROOTERS,THE ONES WHO WANTED HIM TO MANAGE THE 7TH WC!. :win: :clap: :cracker:

Postby Holden Chinaski

People were also intimidated by Hendry, Davis, Reardon… People are intimidated because they know what Ronnie can do. One mistake and the frame can be over in two minutes. They are intimidated because they recognise he’s the best.

Postby LC

A small acknowledgment of ROS achievement then the but players roll over and let him win easy, what like the last two years when he’s lost finals for fun to all sorts of players! He played at level all they way thru that no one could get near and won the tournament as easy as he ever has

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:Higgins and Judd just weren’t in form. Nothing to do with aura in this cases.

Maguire and Gilbert probably were. Can’t remember Allen’s first round match.

mark allen bt scott donaldson 10-6.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I have watched Ronnie's matches against Higgins and Judd again and I have to say Ronnie really played a lot of unbelievable shots! If any other player would have played those shots we would all go 'wow what a shot!' but because we're used to Ronnie we hardly mention them. Not only did he play great shots, he also compiled a lot of fantastic breaks. He gave a masterclass in break building and positional play.

Postby Wildey

Over the last Few Years John Higgins and Now Judd Trump are two players that has stood up to Ronnie More than most But Neither Brought their A Game to Sheffield Higgins Looked Fragile most of the Tournament and Nobody can deny Judd Trump had to fight every step of the way and that was never going to cut it against Ronnie he had to raise his game and didn't that's not to say Ronnie could not improve himself.

I Thought he would have felt pressure but in reality he didnt it was a very conferable win for Ronnie

Postby TheRocket

His pot success was around 94% every match and he scored as good as you can really. Just in the Higgins match he made 17 50+breaks including 5 tons. I dont think there have been many other World Championships where someone sustained this kind of form from start to finish. Probably only Hendry

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:His pot success was around 94% every match and he scored as good as you can really. Just in the Higgins match he made 17 50+breaks including 5 tons. I dont think there have been many other World Championships where someone sustained this kind of form from start to finish. Probably only Hendry

Yea but the chances both Higgins and trump got you expect them to take

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:His pot success was around 94% every match and he scored as good as you can really. Just in the Higgins match he made 17 50+breaks including 5 tons. I dont think there have been many other World Championships where someone sustained this kind of form from start to finish. Probably only Hendry

Word.

And arguably everyone knew he was playing well and very dedicated this time which puts extra pressure on the chances his opponents got.

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:

Word.

And arguably everyone knew he was playing well and very dedicated this time which puts extra pressure on the chances his opponents got.

Generally that's a fair point, and probably what happened against Allen and Maguire, but John and Judd weren't great for most of the tournament.

Not trying to take anything (well not much) away from Ronnie’s victories - he isn't responsible for his opponenets poor play. If Judd had played like he did in the 2019 final, he would have won.

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:Generally that's a fair point, and probably what happened against Allen and Maguire, but John and Judd weren't great for most of the tournament.

Not trying to take anything (well not much) away from Ronnie’s victories - he isn't responsible for his opponenets poor play. If Judd had played like he did in the 2019 final, he would have won.

Yep. Higgins and Judd clawed their way to the semi and final respectively. Losing to Ronnie shouldn’t be a surprise.

I’m not sure the 2019 comment is particularly useful - not because you’re wrong but because that raises the issue of “if Ronnie played at x tournament form he would/could have won anyway”.

Ultimately, what happened happened and Judd should be extremely proud of his tournament. And Ronnie should be proud of a historic victory.

In terms of the final, I really don’t think anybody loses in the long run.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Generally that's a fair point, and probably what happened against Allen and Maguire, but John and Judd weren't great for most of the tournament.

Yep. Higgins and Judd clawed their way to the semi and final respectively. Losing to Ronnie shouldn’t be a surprise.

I’m not sure the 2019 comment is particularly useful - not because you’re wrong but because that raises the issue of “if Ronnie played at x tournament form he would/could have won anyway”.

Ultimately, what happened happened and Judd should be extremely proud of his tournament. And Ronnie should be proud of a historic victory.

In terms of the final, I really don’t think anybody loses in the long run.

Fair point as always.

Postby TheRocket

I rate this World Championship win as his best ever by a mile.
I cant argue against the bare numbers and facts. He has scored better in this than hes ever done and you look at the opponents he had to beat. Beating Higgins and Trump in the semi and final tops it anyway.

Allen is also another opponent who has a good H2H against him. Gilbert was one of the toughest qualifiers. But he destroyed all of them. Which only he can. And he had the pressure of equalling Hendrys record.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:I rate this World Championship win as his best ever by a mile.
I cant argue against the bare numbers and facts. He has scored better in this than hes ever done and you look at the opponents he had to beat. Beating Higgins and Trump in the semi and final tops it anyway.

Allen is also another opponent who has a good H2H against him. Gilbert was one of the toughest qualifiers. But he destroyed all of them. Which only he can. And he had the pressure of equalling Hendrys record.

And a documentary crew following him around.

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I rate this World Championship win as his best ever by a mile.

And a documentary crew following him around.

True. Everything came together magnificently in this tournament. The only thing that can top this if anything is an 8th World title.