Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final :- Trump v O'Sullivan

Postby TheRocket

HappyCamper wrote:it's been plainly obvious that o'sullivan is the greatest player for years.

Ability wise undoubtely but I still think he had to get to 7. It was 50/50 before between him and Hendry imo.
Because lets face it, this is the most important record of them all. And the greatest ever should have this one which he now has, jointly hold with Hendry while surpassing him in the other stats.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Let’s be honest, it’ll never be undisputed unless he gets to like 10-11 (and even then...)

There’ll always be people quibbling over eras, final opponents, draws, how long it took, etcetcetc.

I think most sensible people would agree he’s now the clear GOAT but there are a lot of insensible people out there.

Well, he has to get to 16 to have more titles than Joe Davis, for me.

Postby LethalWeapon193

Honestly what a special evening. To be there to witness not only my favourite snooker player of all time, but my favourite sportsman of all time create history was truly special.

I took my Dad who had never been to the crucible before, his favourite player is Judd and even he was loving every minute and said how fully deserved Ronnie was. To spend that evening with my Dad as well just made it an even more special occasion.

Full respect to Judd he put up a great effort and is a fantastic player in his own right.

The night belonged however to the greatest player that has ever picked up a cue. What a special talent and what a special night. A night that will forever live with me.

Absolutely outstanding Ronnie O'Sullivan!

Postby Holden Chinaski

LethalWeapon193 wrote:Honestly what a special evening. To be there to witness not only my favourite snooker player of all time, but my favourite sportsman of all time create history was truly special.

I took my Dad who had never been to the crucible before, his favourite player is Judd and even he was loving every minute and said how fully deserved Ronnie was. To spend that evening with my Dad as well just made it an even more special occasion.

Full respect to Judd he put up a great effort and is a fantastic player in his own right.

The night belonged however to the greatest player that has ever picked up a cue. What a special talent and what a special night. A night that will forever live with me.

Absolutely outstanding Ronnie O'Sullivan!

Wow! You were there! :bowdown: :hatoff:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
LDS wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I remember when Ronnie lost in 2014 how so many here were saying Ronnie would never win a World championship again.

You certainly have a long memory for grudges and slights.

I feel sure all those issues were already gloated over and rubbed-in after the 2020 win, surely?

A long memory? The forum is full of threads and posts about how Ronnie will never win anything again. You really don't need a good memory for this. The forum is full of it and as SnookerFan said, it's tiresome. I hope this has come to an end now. Not only the trolling of the anti-Ronnie people, but also the negativity of Ronnie fans like MDG and Johnny. I sometimes avoid the forum when Ronnie plays just because I'm tired of seeing the Ronnie fans be so negative.

I'm negative because I care so much. I hurts me everytime he loses a big match, so I exteriorize my feelings way more. :-(

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I just wanted to add I thought Judd spoke really well during the after-match interview with Hazel. Said it how it was, didn't make any excuses and accepted that the best man won.

I have never been his biggest fan, its fair to say, but I do have to acknowledge that he seems to have matured and lightened up a bit in recent times. I hope that continues because he is the future of the game alongside the likes of Zhao, Yan Bingtao and a few others.

Agreed. He’s a good lad. Gets plenty of stick on here, as well. He sometimes lets himself down a bit by saying the odd ill-judged comment, but who doesn’t?

He’s definitely getting more likeable as he gets older.

SF is the main one that give Trump stick, he calls him Tramp. But SF is probably just having a banter.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:I just wanted to add I thought Judd spoke really well during the after-match interview with Hazel. Said it how it was, didn't make any excuses and accepted that the best man won.

I have never been his biggest fan, its fair to say, but I do have to acknowledge that he seems to have matured and lightened up a bit in recent times. I hope that continues because he is the future of the game alongside the likes of Zhao, Yan Bingtao and a few others.

I honestly think he's a really likeable fella now.

Postby Juddernaut88

Pink Ball wrote:He was confirmed as the greatest player of all time after the 2016 UK Championship when I declared him as such. It has been official for almost six years.

I considered him the greatest when he won the 2013 World championship.

Postby TheRocket

When I watched him play at the World Championship 2004 I thought this guy is the greatest the way he played but eventually you always need the titles to back your claim. You have opinion on the side and the raw numbers on the other.

If he had been stuck to 5 Worlds like he was pre 2020, 2 behind Hendrys 7 there was no way for me that he could have been the greatest. When he won the 6th it was a toss of a coin. Now he is the greatest. Equalled Hendrys World title haul and surpassed him in the other major stats.

I think Judd will surpass his ranking title tally eventually but cant see anyone in the future win 7 World titles and 21 Triple Crown titles. And the old man isnt done yet either. So a few more titles probably to come.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Vodka is working on a 'Joe Davis is the GOAT' thread to be posted when his ban is over.

He said he'd acknowledge ROS as the GOAT if he wins a 7th WC.

Now let's see if he's true to his word.

Who gives a buck?

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Vodka is working on a 'Joe Davis is the GOAT' thread to be posted when his ban is over.

Who gives a buck?

+1

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:I think Judd will surpass his ranking title tally eventually but cant see anyone in the future win 7 World titles and 21 Triple Crown titles. And the old man isnt done yet either. So a few more titles probably to come.

Someone will beat his TC record eventually. Someone’s bound to. That’s what happens to records. It won’t happen for a long time though - particularly as like you say, he could still extend the record by a few.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I think Judd will surpass his ranking title tally eventually but cant see anyone in the future win 7 World titles and 21 Triple Crown titles. And the old man isnt done yet either. So a few more titles probably to come.

Someone will beat his TC record eventually. Someone’s bound to. That’s what happens to records. It won’t happen for a long time though - particularly as like you say, he could still extend the record by a few.

The game as a whole is too balanced nowadays, too many good players, no one can dominate.

I don't think anyone will come close to his triple crown record.
But Judd can definitely beat his nr. of ranking events and tons, given how many events there are now.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Who gives a buck?

+1

Wow, even SF hates the grass eater. :chuckle:

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

The game as a whole is too balanced nowadays, too many good players, no one can dominate.

I don't think anyone will come close to his triple crown record.
But Judd can definitely beat his nr. of ranking events and tons, given how many events there are now.

People have said this about all sorts of records that have since been broken. It might not happen in the next 20, 50, or 100 years, but it will happen at some point.

After all, Ronnie has broken Hendry’s TC record without dominating like he did.

Postby BringBackTonyDrago

I never was a fan of Stephen Hendry back in the day. I am now though as he is back on tour. But something over the last few days with him seemed a bit bitter. In his demeanour and body language. Hey maybe I’m reading it wrong. But I hope he does well in the seniors and on tour. This might make him hungry again after Ronnie has matched his 7 titles.

I honestly think Ronnie is the greatest of all time I love him and Jimmy White and Tony Drago and James Wattana. Incidentally my first ever game I watched was in the early 90s when Drago played Wattana. Then I was instantly hooked on the sport.

Anyway is there a case that Stephen could slightly edge Ronnie as the GOAT ?

It took Stephen 10 years to win 7 titles from winning his first one, yet it took Ronnie 21 years from winnings his first one to reach his seventh. Having said that Stephen played 27 years as a pro when he stopped. After 99 he failed to win the worlds again. There could be a few more arguments over the amount of time it took to win certain titles but I think Ronnie is playing in an era where it’s a lot harder to win the majors now. Ronnie for me is now the goat. I just want him to get another title in each of the triple crown events. After they the arguments will be done with.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:He was confirmed as the greatest player of all time after the 2016 UK Championship when I declared him as such. It has been official for almost six years.

Why would you declare he is the greatest after a tournament he lost in the Final against Selby?

Postby Andre147

These two photos have more than one thing in common... besides the obvious, Trump losing the world final, he lost both these world finals, 2011 and 2022, on the same day of the month, 2nd of May. Poor Judd