Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final :- Trump v O'Sullivan

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
TheRocket wrote:How would have MJW fared against Ron?

I love MJW but he would have not done better than Judd, that's for sure.

I think he would have played a lot better but not won many more frames necessarily.

Ronnie just goes into insane form when he plays MJW - and you felt he always had that form in the tank this year, session 3 of the final aside.

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:
TheRocket wrote:How would have MJW fared against Ron?

I love MJW but he would have not done better than Judd, that's for sure.

He looked more clinical in the balls than Judd but yeah in the end Ron would have been to much for him. MJWs level also dropped a little bit in the quarters and then in the semis whereas Ronnie sustained the same standard throughout the tournament. 94% pot success.

Postby mantorok

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think beating Higgins at the Worlds again meant so much to Ronnie that it made him unbeatable in the final. No player in the history of snooker would have been able to beat Ronnie in this final.

My wish came true, after 2013 final:

mantorok wrote:He must be thinking about it a little now, sure it's not going to be easy and I doubt he will do it, but he feels he's got more world titles in him, so who knows.

I'd like to see Ronnie win a WT with Higgins en-route.

The lack of consistency in this new generation is starting to show though, notice how Ronnie has just had to focus and remain decent in order to win it, sure there are bursts of brilliance and lack of concentration, but maintaining decent match-play snooker for the duration is what is lacking in these youngsters.

https://www.snookerisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=397&t=4334&p=281527#p281513

Postby Andre147

It's absolutely crazy... in the 2010/2011 season Ronnie was having his worst ever season as a pro, many first round defeats, in late 2011 he dropped down to as low as 14th in the World.

If there was a time his retirement threats were real, this was it. Then he met Steve Peters and everything changed. That Andrew Higginson match being 4-0 down at the German Masters changed everything. Who knows... had Ronnie lost that match he would have been out of the Top 16, and I'm sure none of the things he's won since then would have happened.

What Ronnie has done since winning that match is nothing short of remarkable, he's the undisputed GOAT now.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:It's absolutely crazy... in the 2010/2011 season Ronnie was having his worst ever season as a pro, many first round defeats, in late 2011 he dropped down to as low as 14th in the World.

If there was a time his retirement threats were real, this was it. Then he met Steve Peters and everything changed. That Andrew Higginson match being 4-0 down at the German Masters changed everything. Who knows... had Ronnie lost that match he would have been out of the Top 16, and I'm sure none of the things he's won since then would have happened.

What Ronnie has done since winning that match is nothing short of remarkable, he's the undisputed GOAT now.

Wow.

As low as that?

Postby rekoons

It seems to me ronnie was more emotional yesterday because of the apparent nice things judd said about/to him (which he seemingly didn't expect) than because of what he just achieved...

It's funny he cares so much about what (some?) People think of him and maybe it's because he wants to please and the 30 years of pressure and extreme expectations?

It was nice seeing this Human aspect and I think judd wil benefit of this as well in his future career.

Postby LDS

Andre147 wrote:he's the undisputed GOAT now.

Yes.

However, let us not forget, winning 7 titles draws him level with Hendry in terms of the Crucible Crown.

It could well be possible that people who say either is better than the other at the crucible is, at this point in time, incorrect. They are in a state of dual ownership.

But, yeah, for all other things snooker, sure, Ronnie is, obviously, the current GOAT.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Prop wrote:PS, love you Holden, not a dig at you.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Me and SnookerFan should be worshipped by all.

I don’t feel bad. But I still love you and SF.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:It's absolutely crazy... in the 2010/2011 season Ronnie was having his worst ever season as a pro, many first round defeats, in late 2011 he dropped down to as low as 14th in the World.

Wow.

As low as that?

Yes he did drop to 14th.

Had he lost to Higginson in that 2012 German Masters first round match, he would be out of the Top 16.

Postby Prop

mantorok wrote:
Prop wrote:Does anyone have any info on this Netflix documentary?

I'm not sure if it is Netflix, it was being referred to as a Netflix-style documentary, whatever the hell that means.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, time will tell.

Postby D4P

Prop wrote:Does anyone have any info on this Netflix documentary?

I read a story this morning about how the documentary is being made by David Beckham's production company.

Perhaps it will be called "Swerve it Like Ronnie"...

Postby LDS

TheRocket wrote:Hendry must be feeling the pain of the 2002 final loss to Ebdon even more now. Now its up to Ron to have a go at 8.

Ronnie doesn't really need an 8th. The last gasp of Hendry fans is that Hendry made it to 9 finals compared to O'Sullivan's 8, and even then they'd have to ignore all the other results like semis, quarters, etc. So even if O'Sullivan never again won the title, even just a runner-up spot would have him far and away elevated above Hendry.

Obviously it would be nice if he had an 8th (well who wouldn't want an 8th :john: ), but I think it would actually be detrimental to him if his fans went about demanding it or promoting the idea too heavily. It would be nicer for the fans if they could just watch him play completely free of cares for once IMO.

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Hendry must be feeling the pain of the 2002 final loss to Ebdon even more now. Now its up to Ron to have a go at 8.

Ronnie doesn't really need an 8th. The last gasp of Hendry fans is that Hendry made it to 9 finals compared to O'Sullivan's 8, and even then they'd have to ignore all the other results like semis, quarters, etc. So even if O'Sullivan never again won the title, even just a runner-up spot would have him far and away elevated above Hendry.

Obviously it would be nice if he had an 8th (well who wouldn't want an 8th :john: ), but I think it would actually be detrimental to him if his fans went about demanding it or promoting the idea too heavily. It would be nicer for the fans if they could just watch him play completely free of cares for once IMO.

Which makes me wonder how he’ll play next season. Whether he’ll be even more dangerous with the weight of expectation lifted.

Postby Iranu

Let’s be honest, it’ll never be undisputed unless he gets to like 10-11 (and even then...)

There’ll always be people quibbling over eras, final opponents, draws, how long it took, etcetcetc.

I think most sensible people would agree he’s now the clear GOAT but there are a lot of insensible people out there.