Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Thurs April 28th) Semi-Finals!!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Saturday 16th of April~Monday 2nd of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

It's the Semi-Finals and the one table setup of the World Snooker Championship, and it seems 1998 and 1999 all over again, with the Class of 92 in the Semi-Finals, the only previous two other times this happened in Crucible history.

First up, 3 time world champion Mark Williams plays 2019 champion Judd Trump, whereas old rivals Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins battle it out. These last two previously played a Semi-Final here in 1998, the year Higgins won his 1st title.

Also first time in the tournament history all four semi-finalists are previous world champions.

Enjoy the start of the Semi-Finals, when the venue gets a whole new dimension!

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Thursday 28th of April

1pm

Mark Williams v Judd Trump Trump leads 18-9

7pm

John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 38-35

Re: Betfred World Championship (Thurs April 28th) Semi-Final

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Ronnie to beat Willo in the final. Although I hope it’s the opposite.

Nah, I reckon Trump's got it this year.

That would neither surprise nor disappoint me, favouritism aside.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie has actually played slower this tournament, average 20sec a shot. But in recent matches he always slows down against Higgins, overthinking and that hinders his natural game.

Hopefully he just plays the balls and not who's in the other chair. But we can't be confident this happening because he's lost 6 of their previous 7 meetings, and in most of them he just rubbished his pants lol.

But one positive is the 4 session format might benefit Ronnie.

Postby Granite

As a Selby fan, I genuinely hope Ronnie pipes Higgins. If you can beat Selby over 4 sessions who's a bigger nightmare style wise and Ronnie is playing better than the 2020 WC, you should beat Higgins. But Ronnie for once has to man up against him. Selby, Williams, Trump have all beaten him over 4 sessions in the last five years or so.

Postby TheRocket

Granite wrote:Question to Ronnie fans - who worries you more, Selby or Higgins?

Higgins without any question. When he plays Selby at least he always plays to a decent standard, winning or losing. He believes he can win.

With Higgins he poops his pants more often than not. Might be the odd occasion where he doesnt but its been the general story since 2005 or 2006.

Postby Wildey

only 1 Multi session Match for Williams v Trump.

Trump winning 9-8 in 2019 Tour Championship

Regarding WN1 Status

If Williams Wins Selby is no 1

If Trump beats williams and Higgins beats Ronnie then Trump is no 1

if Trump wins hes no 1

If Ronnie wins hes no 1

if Higgins Wins and Trump loses to Williams then Higgins is no 1

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Ronnie has actually played slower this tournament, average 20sec a shot. But in recent matches he always slows down against Higgins, overthinking and that hinders his natural game.

Hopefully he just plays the balls and not who's in the other chair. But we can't be confident this happening because he's lost 6 of their previous 7 meetings, and in most of them he just rubbished his pants lol.

Yes, I believe the longer match may give Ronnie time to overcome his love/fear of Higgins and settle into the match. Also, he easily has the better stamina and fitness of the two, which might become a factor if the match goes long.

The main thing is though, Ronnie somehow HAS to control his bowel movements, he has a great chance if he can manage it. That is the key to this encounter IMO.

Postby eraserhead

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Ronnie has actually played slower this tournament, average 20sec a shot. But in recent matches he always slows down against Higgins, overthinking and that hinders his natural game.

Yes, I believe the longer match may give Ronnie time to overcome his love/fear of Higgins and settle into the match. Also, he easily has the better stamina and fitness of the two, which might become a factor if the match goes long.

The main thing is though, Ronnie somehow HAS to control his bowel movements, he has a great chance if he can manage it. That is the key to this encounter IMO.

How will he hide his erection though :chin:

Postby vodkadiet1

1998 semis: (ages in brackets)

Doherty (28) vs Williams (23)
O'Sullivan (22) vs Higgins (22)

1999 semis: (ages in brackets)

Higgins (23) vs Williams (24)
Hendry (30) vs O'Sullivan (23)

2022 semis: (ages in brackets)

Williams (47) vs Trump (32)
O'Sullivan (46) vs Higgins (46)

2044 semis: (ages in brackets)

O'Sullivan (68) vs ?????
Williams (69) vs Higgins (68)

Postby Cloud Strife

Ronnie won his first World title in 2001 and we could be about to see him win his seventh title this week in the year of our Lord 2022. That is outstanding longevity worthy of tremendous admiration, but also very concerning.

To put things in perspective, I was a schoolkid in 2001 about to sit my GCSE exams and now here we are in 2022 and I am about to become a great-grandfather for the second time. This frightens me, frightens me a great deal about the future of this sport. Where is the fresh, new blood? The new generation to sweep away the current generation? Yes, this is very concerning indeed. We have a sport dominated by grizzly old men.

I don't want a situation where my great-great-grandchildren are growing up to see Ronnie still winning world titles in the 2050s.

Postby vodkadiet1

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie won his first World title in 2001 and we could be about to see him win his seventh title this week in the year of our Lord 2022. That is outstanding longevity worthy of tremendous admiration, but also very concerning.

To put things in perspective, I was a schoolkid in 2001 about to sit my GCSE exams and now here we are in 2022 and I am about to become a great-grandfather for the second time. This frightens me, frightens me a great deal about the future of this sport. Where is the fresh, new blood? The new generation to sweep away the current generation? Yes, this is very concerning indeed. We have a sport dominated by grizzly old men.

I don't want a situation where my great-great-grandchildren are growing up to see Ronnie still winning world titles in the 2050s.

So you're a great-grandfather in your 30s???!!!

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie won his first World title in 2001 and we could be about to see him win his seventh title this week in the year of our Lord 2022. That is outstanding longevity worthy of tremendous admiration, but also very concerning.

bucking Hell.

You have GCSEs?