Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Wednesday April 20th) Last 32!!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Saturday 16th of April~Monday 2nd of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

Today will see recent Crucible consistent performer Kyren Wilson take on Ding Junhui, the latter this year a qualifier, much like in 2016 when he reached the Final then. 4 time champion John Higgins finds himself 4-5 down to Un-Nooh, whilst 2019 champion Judd Trump takes on Iran's Hossein Vafei, the first iranian ever to make it to the Crucible.

Jack Lisowski holds a 6-3 advantage over Matthew Stevens, Wilson and Ding play to a finish in the evening, and finally Belgian bullet Luca Brecel plays Thailand's Noppon Saengkham.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Wednesday 20th of April

10am

Kyren Wilson v Ding Junhui Wilson leads 8-6
**John Higgins 4-5 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh Higgins leads 5-2

2.30pm

Judd Trump v Hossein Vafaei Trump leads 5-3
**Jack Lisowski 6-3 Matthew Stevens Lisowski leads 2-1

7pm

**Kyren Wilson v Ding Junhui Wilson leads 8-6
Luca Brecel v Noppon Saengkham Brecel leads 3-1

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Re: Betfred World Championship (Wednesday April 20th) Last 3

Postby chengdufan

Cloud Strife wrote:Come on Hussein, Tipchaiya, Ding, Jack and Noppong!

You've spelt the names of three of the five players incorrectly. You should be ashamed of yourself. It's worse spelling than SnookerFan!

Postby Ck147

chengdufan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Come on Hussein, Tipchaiya, Ding, Jack and Noppong!

You've spelt the names of three of the five players incorrectly. You should be ashamed of yourself. It's worse spelling than SnookerFan!

Postby chengdufan

It's almost as if he's deliberately spelling the non-British players' names incorrectly so that someone accuses him of racism, and then he can claim it was an innocent mistake and have a chuckle to himself about riling up 'snowflakes'.

But that would be trolling, and Cloud Strife is a grown man, not a complete and utter hammer. So it must just be typos...
I guess we'll find out the next time he writes about Vafaei, Un-Nooh etc.

Postby Holden Chinaski

chengdufan wrote:It's almost as if he's deliberately spelling the non-British players' names incorrectly so that someone accuses him of racism, and then he can claim it was an innocent mistake and have a chuckle to himself about riling up 'snowflakes'.

But that would be trolling, and Cloud Strife is a grown man, not a complete and utter hammer. So it must just be typos...

<ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

chengdufan wrote:It's almost as if he's deliberately spelling the non-British players' names incorrectly so that someone accuses him of racism, and then he can claim it was an innocent mistake and have a chuckle to himself about riling up 'snowflakes'.

Unfunny attempt at humour, I guess. Hussein instead of Hossein was genuine though, an easy mistake to make. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Quite why anyone would think it racism to spell someone's name slightly incorrectly, as you alluded to, is beyond me. People have been doing that on this site for years. I dunno, maybe you pick and choose when to get offended? And have decided to target me with your vitriol for some reason? :shrug:

Postby chengdufan

Cloud Strife wrote:Unfunny attempt at humour, I guess.

Quite why anyone would think it racism to spell someone's name slightly incorrectly, as you alluded to, is beyond me.

If you deliberately spelt the names incorrectly as a joke because they are foreign to you, it means you have treated them differently because of their ethnicity. It is therefore an example of racism.
If jokes such as this are allowed to be normalised and accepted, they lead to negative outcomes in society generally for people in ethnic minorities, in particular prejudice and discrimination.

Cloud Strife wrote:I dunno, maybe you pick and choose when to get offended? And have decided to target me with your vitriol for some reason?

I wasn't offended, I haven't targeted you, and there was no vitriol in my response. Try reading it again.

Postby LDS

Spelling names incorrectly isn't racism.

Even if it appears as if a poster only 'seems' to misspell 'foreign' names.

Anything that is a word that isn't common usage or a word that is normally spelled a different way will always be prone to repetitive misspelling.

Names are not usually caught by spellchecker either.

Highfield is unlikely to ever be misspelled even though it's a long name because it combines to very common usage words, high and field. Robertson is unlikely to be misspelled because it combines Robert and son, again, two very common words. Hallett on the other hand will be misspelled regularly because no-one has any means to remember that Hallett contains both two Ls and two Ts other than via a daily visual reminder of exactly how it's spelt.

It's not that someone is having difficulty with foreign players, it's that they are having difficulty with a completely different language that bares no familiar connection to their own. No common words, no common letter strings and no common pronunciation.

Hossein is going to get Hussain typos in the same way:

Graeme Dott, for example will regularly get called Graham, even the Scottish Newspaper will call him Graham in their headline:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/oth ... es-1056249

And in the text still call him Graeme. Because it's a natural typo that even when in full knowledge of then one will still write Graham because no matter how much one knows it's Graeme, the natural way to write Graham for most people is Graham.

Similar for the English player Neal Foulds, of course people will regularly write Neil Foulds, again, even if they are fully aware and try their best to get names right:

http://www.knightssnooker.com/

And those long Thai names, well, nobody enjoys writing those out every time they want to write about them, so they get shortened. Exactly how they end up shortened is going to be different to each different user.

And in terms of racism, it can be argued to pretty much the same degree that only highlighting and making an issue out of name misspelling if it involves a foreign player is itself racism, because it suggests a blindness to one race while enforcing a draconian restriction on offences to a different race. An inequality of approach.

For example here, we can have thread after thread after thread of people practically yelling Saltby, but if someone writes Dong even once then the wrath of all hell breaks loose. Karen is fine and dandy, but Hussein is inherently racist?

And this is how spelling obsession directly conflicts with Western culture. Western culture is absolutely riddled with wordplay, particularly with names. There's barely anyone who's name is not prone to some form of amusing word play. And that is how nicknames form. Eventually, everyone agrees to call someone something, but usually after years of people messing about with the words. It's not about racism, it's about anarchic tendencies. Anti-authoritarian impulse. Breaking down the inequality of over-formality that po-faced adherence to form naturally breeds.

Yes, if someone is racist, then a clue to that might well be excessive and continued use of name degradation specifically targeted at one or more specific racial groups, that is obvious and common sense. But this will be highlighted and made more evident by other means and will show itself in other ways. Name misspelling by itself is no evidence of anything as name misspelling is a far more complex and nuanced human anomaly.

Racists might well play heavily into name misspelling, but not all name misspelling is racist. If you understand what I'm saying.

Postby chengdufan

You're overthinking it LDS.

If the spelling was accidental, there's no problem at all.

If it was deliberate, it depends on the reason. If it was because the name was foreign, it is racism.
In Selby's case, it was because he is sulky when he loses. That's something which is fine to joke about.

Postby chengdufan

I decided to call out Cloud Strife because he's been deliberately misspelling the foreign names during the whole championship and because he has a history of either trolling or deliberately using incendiary language.

Edit: Based on CS's response below, I was mistaken on this point and retract it.
Last edited by chengdufan on 20 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mick745

Is Selby particularly sulky though? This is a man who has suffered with his mental health for a long time - i think targeting him in this way is insensitive.

Players get upset when they lose? If they dont we should ask why. The old adage "show me a good loser and i'll show you a loser".

Hendry or Davis hardly used to do cartwheels after a defeat did they? Hendry didnt say more than two words on the journey all the way back to Scotland after he lost the qf to Steve James in 1991.

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:You're overthinking it LDS.

If it was deliberate, it depends on the reason. If it was because the name was foreign, it is racism.
In Selby's case, it was because he is sulky when he loses. That's something which is fine to joke about.

Not at all. Not being bothered to be proficient in typing out unfamiliar words perfectly accurately is not racism. Foreign mean unfamiliar. I have no idea how to spell mousaka, but spell check can do that for me, moussaka, even though I love mousakas. If someone was called Moussaka then I'd probably spell it wrong every time, the extent of the 'deliberateness' is a completely arbitrary distinction.

Postby chengdufan

mick745 wrote:Is Selby particularly sulky though? This is a man who has suffered with his mental health for a long time - i think targeting him in this way is insensitive.

Players get upset when they lose? If they dont we should ask why. The old adage "show me a good loser and i'll show you a loser".

Hendry or Davis hardly used to do cartwheels after a defeat did they? Hendry didnt say more than two words on the journey all the way back to Scotland after he lost the qf to Steve James in 1991.

I think it's the contrast between Selby's behaviour when he's winning and when he's losing is a bit too extreme and leads to the jokes. His demeanour is rather childlike.
Of course any sportsman will be happy when winning and unhappy when losing, but as adults most of us have learned to express those emotions in a more respectful way, understanding the impact they have on their opponent.
I agree that joking about someone in this way can impact their mental health, so perhaps you are right that people should tread more carefully than they do with their comments.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:You're overthinking it LDS.

Not at all. Not being bothered to be proficient in typing out unfamiliar words perfectly accurately is not racism. Foreign mean unfamiliar. I have no idea how to spell mousaka, but spell check can do that for me, moussaka, even though I love mousakas. If someone was called Moussaka then I'd probably spell it wrong every time, the extent of the 'deliberateness' is a completely arbitrary distinction.

Well, there's a difference between not being sure and having a guess (accidental misspelling), and deliberately choosing a wrong spelling when you know full well what the correct spelling is, in an attempt at humour.

Postby Cloud Strife

chengdufan wrote:I decided to call out Cloud Strife because he's been deliberately misspelling the foreign names during the whole championship and because he has a history of either trolling or deliberately using incendiary language.

No, this was the only time I deliberately misspelt anyone's name during these championships, so please don't exaggerate and try to paint me in a bad light, if that is indeed what you are trying to do.

Postby chengdufan

Cloud Strife wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I decided to call out Cloud Strife because he's been deliberately misspelling the foreign names during the whole championship and because he has a history of either trolling or deliberately using incendiary language.

No, this was the only time I deliberately misspelt anyone's name during these championships, so please don't exaggerate and try to paint me in a bad light, if that is indeed what you are trying to do.

In that case I was mistaken and I apologise. Sorry for suggesting that the behaviour was repeated. I retract my earlier comment and will edit it.

Postby Juddernaut88

:goodpost:

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:Well, there's a difference between not being sure and having a guess (accidental misspelling), and deliberately choosing a wrong spelling when you know full well what the correct spelling is, in an attempt at humour.

And that will be being anarchic and anti-authoritarian, not racism. If you make it a big deal and create an authority then people of an anarchic nature will naturally rebel if they perceive that authority as being pompous or overly-pedantic or in some other way 'silly'. You're moving into Charlie Hebdo territory rather than gallantly stamping out inherent racism.