Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Masters 1st Round : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Jack Lisow

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Kids aren’t gonna suddenly start watching snooker because players are dressed like every other sport.

And how could you possibly know that ?! Are you the new Nostradamus ???

Iranu wrote:The game isn’t any more exciting if they’re wearing a shiny ducking polo shirt.

The game itself may not be more exciting, but the players will be more comfortable.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Dress code has been loosened in a couple of smaller tournaments.

Dress code should be loosened for every event.

Never, otherwise it would just look like Pool which quite frankly has a bad image attatched to it.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:I’m going to take advantage of the traffic generated by Ronnie O’Sullivan playing in a triple-crown event and bump my survey of the greatest matches of the past 45 years. People, get your votes in: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11712

You should change the rules and allow us to choose smaller length matches. ROS's win vs Selbo at the 2018 NI Open was a brilliant match.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Dress code has been loosened in a couple of smaller tournaments.

Dress code should be loosened for every event.

Never, otherwise it would just look like Pool which quite frankly has a bad image attatched to it.

Pool players dress whatever way they want. I'm not advocating that, I'm saying we should have a looser dress code.
Polo shirts (proper ones, made out of cotton, with no stupid sponsors logos on them; not those garbages they wear at the shootout) + smart pants (black, brown, dark navi blue or dark brown) is the way to go. And some loafers too. :-D

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I read Judds comments. Irrespective of the comments he made about the tie which you can agree with or not he says he would rather win the German Masters than the UK Championship. He cant be serious.

I agree on one thing, the German Masters Tempodrom has one of the best atmosphere for a Snooker venue, but even so the UK Champs is on a whole different level.

I think Judd might be right though... he might end his career with 50 ranking event titles won, but "only" 10 or so TC events won.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:Kids aren’t gonna suddenly start watching snooker because players are dressed like every other sport.

And how could you possibly know that ?! Are you the new Nostradamus ???

Okay, fair point. In truth I was partly drawn to the game because of the dress code. But ultimately it was what was happening on the table more than anything else. Because at the end of the day that’s what you’re actually watching. Kids can like the clothes as much as they like but if the product is rubbish they won’t watch for long.

Snooker should have faith in itself, and it should lean into things, like the dress code, that set it apart from other sports. Not try to blend into the crowd by being one of 1416 sports where the players wear polo shirts.

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:The game isn’t any more exciting if they’re wearing a shiny ducking polo shirt.

The game itself may not be more exciting, but the players will be more comfortable.

If players aren’t comfortable in what they’re wearing they need to buy better fitting clothes. You can be perfectly comfortable in a shirt and waistcoat. I appreciate this might be more difficult for lower ranked players who aren’t earning. But not impossible. You could argue that WST could have a clothing fund for professionals. Maybe get a suit company to sponsor it.

Besides, I haven’t noticed any higher standard of play at the Home Nations, or the CoC, or any other tournaments with relaxed dress code. Have you?

Postby Iranu

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: a polo shirt with smart trousers looks bucking awful. It’s like the mullet of clothing. Half business, half casual, all terrible.

I’d prefer polo shirt and jeans honestly.
Last edited by Iranu on 11 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: a polo shirt with smart trousers looks bucking awful. It’s like the mullet of clothing. Half business, have casual, all terrible.

Agree with you Iranu, I think it looks terrible. Much prefer the smart shirt and waistcoat

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: a polo shirt with smart trousers looks bucking awful. It’s like the mullet of clothing. Half business, have casual, all terrible.

“The mullet of clothing” Brilliant <laugh>

Johnny’s the mullet of Snooker Island.

Postby Yanfan

Do we really want snooker to be more like darts or pool? I don't.

If I was in charge I would have a really strict dress code. A real classy look. Black trousers, waistcoat and shoes. White shirt. Black bow tie.

Apart from Anthony Hamilton, who can just wear his best. <ok>

Postby Ck147

Prop wrote:

Wouldn’t surprise me if he has a mullet

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:And frankly, his ideas are rubbish.

His ideas about the dress code are great.

You’re wrong. But I won’t hold it against you. You can’t help it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:Every player aged 30 and under lost in the first round.

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

Only Kyren can buck that trend.

wilson's birthday just before christmas. he is 30 now.

I said 30 and under!

Jack and McGill are both 30, too. I was stretching my “stat”.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

I said 30 and under!

thirty and three weeks is greater than thirty!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:The game itself may not be more exciting, but the players will be more comfortable.

If players aren’t comfortable in what they’re wearing they need to buy better fitting clothes. You can be perfectly comfortable in a shirt and waistcoat.

Man, stretching on a shot with a shirt on you is not very comfortable, at least not for me. I couldn't play dressed like that even if my life depended on it. The shirt doesn't allow proper movement, it tightens your body. :-(
But perhaps the shirts snooker players use are not made from cotton, but from a synthetic fabric that stretches :shrug:

Iranu wrote:Besides, I haven’t noticed any higher standard of play at the Home Nations, or the CoC, or any other tournaments with relaxed dress code. Have you?

Honestly I haven't been paying attention to that. I dunno if the standard is higher or not.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

I said 30 and under!

Then why did you say he was 30?! Untangle me from your web of lies!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ck147 wrote:
Prop wrote:

<doh> <doh> <doh>
I wouldn't cut my hair like that even if someone stuck a gun to my temple.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

I said 30 and under!

Then why did you say he was 30?! Untangle me from your web of lies!

rounding!

Postby HappyCamper

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Prop wrote:

<doh> <doh> <doh>
I wouldn't cut my hair like that even if someone stuck a gun to my temple.

the gun would get in the way of the scissors.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:And frankly, his ideas are rubbish.

His ideas about the dress code are great.

You’re wrong. But I won’t hold it against you. You can’t help it.

Look how great this looks:

https://ro.pinterest.com/pin/117656609004906949/

https://ro.pinterest.com/pin/860328335036633268/