Post a reply

Re: Cazoo UK Championship Quarter-Finals !!!!!!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Expected Hawkins to play better in this match although he should win comfortably. Zhao beating him is possible but Hawkins obviously has a superior allround game than Jack so Zhao wont just outpot and outscore him.

Yeah Zhao will have a similar match against Hawkins as he had against Higgins.

Postby Prop

Busy all day and just finished watching the Ronnie match. Bit gutted. Couple of shots where I felt he was pushing the boat out for perfect position, and it cost him. Wilson was excellent early on and that paid off.

Congratulations to the Wilson fans. Both of you <laugh>

Postby Ck147

Prop wrote:Busy all day and just finished watching the Ronnie match. Bit gutted. Couple of shots where I felt he was pushing the boat out for perfect position, and it cost him. Wilson was excellent early on and that paid off.

Another busy day for me too Prop, saw a bit of Ronnie v Kyren, thought ROS would have that, the Pirate did good. Watching dreamboat v zhao on highlights now. I saw a bit earlier and it was 2-1 Jack, not looking good right now for him at 5-2 down to zhao.

Postby Ck147

Bolx, dreamboat is out, but I like zhao, seems to hold it together better than some of his compatriots. Is he the next Yan? Should we watch out for him next season? I know I will. (sorry SF for being a casual part time fan right now I will endeavour to do better.)

Postby Prop

Ck147 wrote:
Prop wrote:Busy all day and just finished watching the Ronnie match. Bit gutted. Couple of shots where I felt he was pushing the boat out for perfect position, and it cost him. Wilson was excellent early on and that paid off.

Another busy day for me too Prop, saw a bit of Ronnie v Kyren, thought ROS would have that, the Pirate did good. Watching dreamboat v zhao on highlights now. I saw a bit earlier and it was 2-1 Jack, not looking good right now for him at 5-2 down to zhao.

It was a really good match. I enjoyed it. Wilson definitely deserved it with the start he made. And Ron definitely wanted this one. But he couldn’t click. If he properly got in the zone he wouldn’t even have noticed the crowd noise.

Postby Andre147

I think a fully focused ROS wouldn't let those people coming in disturb him. Never seen him stop mid break so much in a match. How many times in his career has he played in a 2 table setup and had no problems with it whatsover?

Even if most of the times after he stopped he potted a great red or color, one feels he wasn't 100% focused to let such disturbances annoy him.

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

It was a really good match. I enjoyed it. Wilson definitely deserved it with the start he made. And Ron definitely wanted this one. But he couldn’t click. If he properly got in the zone he wouldn’t even have noticed the crowd noise.

+1 mate, same feeling

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

It’s just his new tic.

Cue action, tips, crowds. All the same rubbish.

Postby Prop

Andre147 wrote:
Prop wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

+1 mate, same feeling

Flashes of the magic, but no flow. Problem is, I’d imagine for Ronnie it’s not easy to escape that irritable mood even when a few pots start going in. His chimp made an enemy of anything outside his bubble, and that was that <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:It’s just his new tic.

Cue action, tips, crowds. All the same rubbish.

Maybe you're right, I don't know... at least this tournament the tip didn't seem to be a problem, neither cue action. But crowds certainly were, for no reason. He's played a million times on a similar setup and never had problems with it.

He needs to be fully focused otherwise there will always be something that prevents him from winning another tournament.

Postby TheRocket

Ron doesnt let it on in his interviews but deep inside he must be sick he hasnt won a title since his sixth Worlds. He tried his hardest in this tournament and you could see that but still came up short.

As I said for a while. The longer this goes on the more it gets under his skin and the more you see him talk about tips and stuff like that. Doesnt matter how good you are. You need to win a title at some stage. He needs one badly now. Even more than Higgins who lost 3 finals this season but still won a title this year.

Postby Ck147

TheRocket wrote:Ron doesnt let it on in his interviews but deep inside he must be sick he hasnt won a title since his sixth Worlds. He tried his hardest in this tournament and you could see that but still came up short.

As I said for a while. The longer this goes on the more it gets under his skin and the more you see him talk about tips and stuff like that. Doesnt matter how good you are. You need to win a title at some stage. He needs one badly now. Even more than Higgins who lost 3 finals this season but still won a title this year.

The older he gets the harder it gets, you can’t fight time no matter how good you are. I think he just needs to accept that rather than blaming equipment, and if he wins something, great, if he doesn’t no big deal he has nothing to prove, he’s already secured his very high place in the history books. He’s got Eurosport commentary lined up so shouldn’t feel too sorry for him.

Postby Prop

He seems conflicted. He’s trying so hard to convince everyone, and probably himself, that results and records no longer matter to him. Yet he still finds himself deeply invested in the emotions of matches like that. He still gets angry at himself. The two things aren’t compatible.

He either knows full well that it still means everything to him to win more (and he’s happy to BS about it in interviews) or he’s genuinely torn on it in himself. He probably has some success in convincing himself it’s now just a stress-free pastime more often than not. But every now and then when he gets himself into a position where he could win another big one, that’s when the deep-rooted desire shows its face. And that kind of internal conflict is never going to do his game much good.

Postby TheRocket

Ck147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Ron doesnt let it on in his interviews but deep inside he must be sick he hasnt won a title since his sixth Worlds. He tried his hardest in this tournament and you could see that but still came up short.

The older he gets the harder it gets, you can’t fight time no matter how good you are. I think he just needs to accept that rather than blaming equipment, and if he wins something, great, if he doesn’t no big deal he has nothing to prove, he’s already secured his very high place in the history books. He’s got Eurosport commentary lined up so shouldn’t feel too sorry for him.

yes agree with everything you say. Imo he'd rather just go out there, play without any pressure and hope one week its going to be enough to cross the finishing line. But the days of winning titles consistently is over at the age of 46 and I'm sure he has already accepted that.

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:He seems conflicted. He’s trying so hard to convince everyone, and probably himself, that results and records no longer matter to him. Yet he still finds himself deeply invested in the emotions of matches like that. He still gets angry at himself. The two things aren’t compatible.

He either knows full well that it still means everything to him to win more (and he’s happy to BS about it in interviews) or he’s genuinely torn on it in himself. He probably has some success in convincing himself it’s now just a stress-free pastime more often than not. But every now and then when he gets himself into a position where he could win another big one, that’s when the deep-rooted desire shows its face. And that kind of internal conflict is never going to do his game much good.

Yep fully agree. He seems conflited as you say with these two feelings, and in a big match that can often lead to a failure. He did want to do well at this UK Champs, you could see it, but always seems to find something when things aren't going his way, this time it was the crowds. Ronnie plays his best when he just gets in the zone and nothing else matters around him.

But he can't possibly go to the Crucible again hoping to win a 7th title there without some sort of title beforehand. Even in his 2020 triumph, he had won the Shanghai Masters that season, and then Covid hit.

I do believe his next title will come at one of the ITV events. Less matches to play, no Eurosport stuff, and he seems to do well in them events.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie has always been like this. He's been saying the same stuff since the nineties. And he's still playing great. Just lost a decider against someone playing well. It happens. He played some great stuff at this year's UK. I still enjoy watching him play and I think he's still good enough to win any tournament. As for the stuff he says, I don't really pay attention. He's always said stuff like that.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has always been like this. He's been saying the same stuff since the nineties. And he's still playing great. Just lost a decider against someone playing well. It happens. He played some great stuff at this year's UK. I still enjoy watching him play and I think he's still good enough to win any tournament. As for the stuff he says, I don't really pay attention. He's always said stuff like that.

And we’ll never really know what’s really going on in his head. Just seems to me that lately he’s really labouring the point that he’s got this ‘perfect work life balance’. He’s always talked bullocks, but in the past it’s been a variety of bullocks.