Post a reply

Re: Cazoo UK Championship Last 32 !!!!!

Postby Prop

Yanfan wrote:
Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Been a lot of backlash towards Rob Walker this last year or so.

Over exposure maybe? He's a great MC (pronunciation excepted).

On the face of it, they’ve booted JV and put Walker in his place. That’s like part exchanging a classic Bentley for a Daihatsu.

Bring back Clive Everton and John Virgo. I liked those two.

You’d think the BBC might have learned from the backlash over Clive getting the axe. But it seems history is repeating itself.

Postby SnookerFan

We've been moaning about the BBC commentary being marmite since the forum opened. Then we throw a paddy when they get rid of some of the dead wood.

What's up with that?

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:We've been moaning about the BBC commentary being marmite since the forum opened. Then we throw a paddy when they get rid of some of the dead wood.

What's up with that?

They've replaced the deadwood with shitty MDF.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:We've been moaning about the BBC commentary being marmite since the forum opened. Then we throw a paddy when they get rid of some of the dead wood.

What's up with that?

I’ve never moaned about Virgo, personally.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:You’d think the BBC might have learned from the backlash over Clive getting the axe. But it seems history is repeating itself.

I’m not sure how comparable the two are. Clive knows the tour inside-out unlike Virgo, and this time it’s happened after calls for modernisation from the best player in the world. Not to mention the number of fans who’ve complained about Virgo over the years.

While I think Virgo has something to offer and that Walker isn’t the best substitute, it’s a lot less senseless than the Clive sacking. I’m sure they weren’t expecting Angles to stick with Eurosport for the Triple Crown events, either.

Also, I’m assuming that Virgo’s absent this week because of travel from Spain more than anything else. He said this would be his and Dennis’ last season and Dennis is here.
Last edited by Iranu on 29 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Yanfan

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:You’d think the BBC might have learned from the backlash over Clive getting the axe. But it seems history is repeating itself.

I’m not sure how comparable the two are. Clive knows the tour inside-out unlike Virgo, and this time it’s happened after calls for modernisation from the best player in the world. Not to mention the number of fans who’ve complained about Virgo over the years.

While I think Virgo has something to offer and that Walker isn’t the best substitute, it’s a lot less senseless than the Clive sacking. I’m sure they weren’t expecting Angles to stick with Eurosport for the Triple Crown events, either.

Also, I’m assuming that Virgo’s absent this week because of travel from Spain more than anything else. He said this would be his and Dennis’ last season and Dennis is here.

Yes, I forgot he lived in Spain. That may well be it.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:

In the most basic terms, it’s two veteran commentators who have had the plug pulled on them prematurely by the BBC. And in both cases it stinks of the BBC trying to appear less stagnant. They struggle with that, so when someone like Judd opens their mouth it’s a perfect opportunity for them to justify a decision they were probably cooking for years.

And I’m pretty sure this is the first UK JV has missed for years. Just so happens it’s his last WC coming up in April… So again, travel issues (as true as it may be) do not tell the whole story.