Post a reply

Re: Cazoo UK Championship Last 32 !!!!!

Postby Yanfan

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:You’d think the BBC might have learned from the backlash over Clive getting the axe. But it seems history is repeating itself.

I’m not sure how comparable the two are. Clive knows the tour inside-out unlike Virgo, and this time it’s happened after calls for modernisation from the best player in the world. Not to mention the number of fans who’ve complained about Virgo over the years.

While I think Virgo has something to offer and that Walker isn’t the best substitute, it’s a lot less senseless than the Clive sacking. I’m sure they weren’t expecting Angles to stick with Eurosport for the Triple Crown events, either.

Also, I’m assuming that Virgo’s absent this week because of travel from Spain more than anything else. He said this would be his and Dennis’ last season and Dennis is here.

In the most basic terms, it’s two veteran commentators who have had the plug pulled on them prematurely by the BBC. And in both cases it stinks of the BBC trying to appear less stagnant. They struggle with that, so when someone like Judd opens their mouth it’s a perfect opportunity for them to justify a decision they were probably cooking for years.

And I’m pretty sure this is the first UK JV has missed for years. Just so happens it’s his last WC coming up in April… So again, travel issues (as true as it may be) do not tell the whole story.

The BBC are trying to appeal to the younger 'woke' community, aren't they? They don't like old men. Even if they are entertaining and good at their job.
Last edited by Yanfan on 29 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

The type of frames King loves to win.

Ronnie needs his free flowing scoring boots like the first 2 frames.

Postby Andre147

Serious question...

In Tennis, to avoid long toilet breaks, they now are starting to clock the time players take.

Should the same start happening in Snooker?

Postby SnookerFan

Yanfan wrote:
Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:You’d think the BBC might have learned from the backlash over Clive getting the axe. But it seems history is repeating itself.

I’m not sure how comparable the two are. Clive knows the tour inside-out unlike Virgo, and this time it’s happened after calls for modernisation from the best player in the world. Not to mention the number of fans who’ve complained about Virgo over the years.

While I think Virgo has something to offer and that Walker isn’t the best substitute, it’s a lot less senseless than the Clive sacking. I’m sure they weren’t expecting Angles to stick with Eurosport for the Triple Crown events, either.

Also, I’m assuming that Virgo’s absent this week because of travel from Spain more than anything else. He said this would be his and Dennis’ last season and Dennis is here.

In the most basic terms, it’s two veteran commentators who have had the plug pulled on them prematurely by the BBC. And in both cases it stinks of the BBC trying to appear less stagnant. They struggle with that, so when someone like Judd opens their mouth it’s a perfect opportunity for them to justify a decision they were probably cooking for years.

And I’m pretty sure this is the first UK JV has missed for years. Just so happens it’s his last WC coming up in April… So again, travel issues (as true as it may be) do not tell the whole story.

The BBC are trying to appeal to the younger 'woke' community, aren't they? They don't like old men. Even if they are entertaining and good at their job.

Which most of them aren't.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:In the most basic terms, it’s two veteran commentators who have had the plug pulled on them prematurely by the BBC. And in both cases it stinks of the BBC trying to appear less stagnant. They struggle with that, so when someone like Judd opens their mouth it’s a perfect opportunity for them to justify a decision they were probably cooking for years.

I’m sure he missed last season’s too because wasn’t he welcomed back at the Masters? Or did he miss the Masters too? He also missed the 2020 WC didn’t he.

I mean this is a guy who said on Talking Snooker he hasn’t been down to the local snooker club near where he lives. I can totally buy him not being bothered to travel and risk quarantine etc in the run up to Christmas.

I’m all for a nice “buck the BBC” but I don’t think there’s anything nefarious going on (besides the sacking if that’s considered nefarious).

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Remember when Vafaei spanked Selby? Good times.

<laugh>

Like it was yesterday

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Yanfan wrote:
Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Which most of them aren't.

True. But some are. And those that are, such as JV, shouldn’t get the boot just because they fall into the ‘old commentator’ category.

There’s just no logic to it for me. If they’re sacking JV and Dennis, why is John Parrott still in a job?

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:In the most basic terms, it’s two veteran commentators who have had the plug pulled on them prematurely by the BBC. And in both cases it stinks of the BBC trying to appear less stagnant. They struggle with that, so when someone like Judd opens their mouth it’s a perfect opportunity for them to justify a decision they were probably cooking for years.

I’m sure he missed last season’s too because wasn’t he welcomed back at the Masters? Or did he miss the Masters too? He also missed the 2020 WC didn’t he.

I mean this is a guy who said on Talking Snooker he hasn’t been down to the local snooker club near where he lives. I can totally buy him not being bothered to travel and risk quarantine etc in the run up to Christmas.

I’m all for a nice “buck the BBC” but I don’t think there’s anything nefarious going on (besides the sacking if that’s considered nefarious).

Fair points.

I guess I’m just in the minority of fans who really appreciate his commentary. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Fair points.

I guess I’m just in the minority of fans who really appreciate his commentary. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I don't think you're in a minority. JV is very popular, just not so much on here.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Fair points.

Virgo annoys me with his catchphrases and jokes. But he is far away the best at an underrated commentary quality: building drama.

Nobody closes off a tense frame like he does, or builds up to the next one.

Postby Yanfan

Iranu wrote:I’d definitely get rid of Parrott before Virgo.

Yes, and what about Joe Perry with his 'rising inflection' at the end of every sentence. Everything statement he makes sounds like a question. I turn the sound down when he's on.

Postby Scooper

Yanfan wrote:

Yes, and what about Joe Perry with his 'rising inflection' at the end of every sentence. Everything statement he makes sounds like a question. I turn the sound down when he's on.

That doesn’t really bother me?

Postby Prop

Scooper wrote:
Yanfan wrote:

That doesn’t really bother me?

<laugh>