Post a reply

Re: Cazoo UK Championship Last 64 !!!!!

Postby Yanfan

What I don't know is this:

If a referee make a mistake and calls the frame before the balls have stopped rolling, is the frame then legally over, or is it still possible for a player to make a foul?

I don't know. Perhaps Andre can tell us?

Postby Pink Ball

I want to understand this clearly. If this is the rule, why is it so hard and fast on a frame being called but isn’t at all when a referee has counted points towards a break?

I’ve looked at two famous examples of last-gasp fouls: Nigel Bond in 2006 versus Stephen Hendry was the first. The referee does not call the frame after Bond potted the black, but if he had done before the white went in off, would Bond have won without needing the re-spot?

Mark Allen versus Cao Yupeng, 2012, Allen goes in off after potting the final black. Again, the ref didn’t call the frame for Allen before the in off, but had he done so, would it have been Allen’s frame, not Cao’s?

Subtly great refereeing on both counts, by the way.

Postby HappyCamper

Pink Ball wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
James Bentley wrote:The referee had called that Craigie had won the frame before he put his cue down, so the frame was over, wasn't it?

correct. the frame had clearly been declared by the ref so what craigie does after that is not a foul.

you can argue that the ref should have waited to call the frame, but craigie would not have placed his cue on the table had she not so the point is moot. it would be wrong to punish craigie for the referee's error in that case.

I don’t understand this logic. So a player is on a break of 9, pots the black, the ref calls the break at 16, white rolls in off, but the break is still 16 because the ref declared it so?

i don't see how the situations are comparable.

if the cue ball had stopped over the pocket and only dropped after the break had been called then the cue ball should be replaced over the pocket and break continues. there is no issue.

the referee shouldn't call the break before the cue ball has stopped movement and the black ball replaced. if they had erroneously done so and the cue then goes in-off, then the foul wouldn't have been the result of a further action by the player, and reversing the break for the in-off again doesn't cause an issue.

i agree that the referee technically made an error. i just don't see how it would be fair to punish craigie for it.

Postby Yanfan

SnookerFan wrote:
csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What happened with Judd?

trump bt wakelin 6-3

Thanks.

Who does he play now?

Matthew Selt.