Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Northern Ireland Open Final !!!!

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Try telling Mark Allen this tournament is glorified practice
:irk:

Nobody will ever remember this. Apparently.

Remember what? :chin:

What were we talking about? :hmmm:

Postby Dragonfly

Firstly I must say that I enjoyed the final and it was a fine win by Allen. But I do see where O'Sullivan is coming from. Will this match really be remembered in years to come.

I think how important an event is, is ultimately down to a player's level of standards and success. For the really big names I can understand that the Northern Ireland open would mean very little. If you already have 6 world titles it really doesn't make that much difference how many of the more minor events that you win.

It's an important win for Allen no doubt. But then he doesn't have a long record of winning majors. Perhaps this will be a springboard for him and he goes on to bigger and better things. But I can understand O'Sullivan not being too bothered that he lost. When looking back at the careers of O'Sullivan, and Higgins too of course, nobody's going to remark on whether they won any of these home nations events.

It was a good final. There are much more important events to come.

Postby SnookerEd25

Johnny Bravo wrote:Well done Allen :hatoff:

He beat the former fatso :happy: :D :happy:

Funny thing is he himself is now a fatso :chuckle: <laugh>

Are you SURE you’re not twelve years old? :chin:

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:

He’s probably 10 but thinks he’s 12

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

I see what you did there :roll:

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

<laugh>

Postby Andre147

Obviously I was very busy during these last 2 weeks at the European Champs in my country, but still managed to watch some of the tournament, and the last few frames of the Final.

Allen fully deserved victory, great for him and his home fans. I strongly disagree with some comments here regarding this tournament won't go down in history just because it's not a big one. It will go down simply because a player from NI won it. Doesn't it go down in history the year Mark King won it in a memorable fashion too? Doesn't have to be a big tournament to be in Snooker's Hall of Fame.

Hopefully this win will inspire Allen on to greater things, but winning a tournament on home soil is every player's ambition, and become World Champion. I know Neil Robertson would have loved to have won the Australian Open but he lost in the Final twice.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/mark-allen-fears-he-may-be-denied-world-title-shot-despite-northern-ireland-open-win

Seems to have quite a few problems off the table. Hope he can handle them and then fully focus on Snooker. From a Snookerfans point of view he is a very good player to watch when he is in full flow, especially in the breakbuilding department.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/mark-allen-fears-he-may-be-denied-world-title-shot-despite-northern-ireland-open-win

Didn’t Allen say he was taking a break from the game (because of these same issues) only for him to turn up in a tournament a few weeks later? And now he’s saying it again?

I genuinely wish him well, but maybe he’s best not discussing it at all.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:

Didn’t Allen say he was taking a break from the game (because of these same issues) only for him to turn up in a tournament a few weeks later? And now he’s saying it again?

Yeah, instead of boring us all with the same subject..... Now, shall I go to Milton Keynes, or what?

Kidding obviously. He does seem to have a lot of problems, and I think you're right. He does seem to want to have somebody to talk to about all this. But not sure keep mentioning it to the press is the right way to go. That's not going to give him any help. The opposite if anything.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Yeah, instead of boring us all with the same subject..... Now, shall I go to Milton Keynes, or what?

Kidding obviously. He does seem to have a lot of problems, and I think you're right. He does seem to want to have somebody to talk to about all this. But not sure keep mentioning it to the press is the right way to go. That's not going to give him any help. The opposite if anything.

Yeah that’s my thinking. He does come across as a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. So I doubt there’s any agenda to it, especially considering it’s bordering on O’Sullivanesque contradiction - ‘I’m leaving, no I’m not, I’m leaving again, no I’m not’.

I’m not really clued up on the whole situation. I can understand if whatever money he’s winning at the moment doesn’t see his bank account. But I don’t understand why any of this would stop him playing.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:Yeah that’s my thinking. He does come across as a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. So I doubt there’s any agenda to it, especially considering it’s bordering on O’Sullivanesque contradiction - ‘I’m leaving, no I’m not, I’m leaving again, no I’m not’.

I’m not really clued up on the whole situation. I can understand if whatever money he’s winning at the moment doesn’t see his bank account. But I don’t understand why any of this would stop him playing.

I doubt it's purely financial. Because, as you say, that'd mean he'd step up his playing, if anything. Quitting your job because you have no money doesn't make any sense.

I think the family problems, and other things that have caused his financial troubles are having an effect on his mental health. I think he needs help from some professionals, rather than just sounding off to the press about it.

I guess if you're skint, paying a psychiatrist is out of the question. There must be some help he can get on the NHS.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:Yeah that’s my thinking. He does come across as a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. So I doubt there’s any agenda to it, especially considering it’s bordering on O’Sullivanesque contradiction - ‘I’m leaving, no I’m not, I’m leaving again, no I’m not’.

I doubt it's purely financial. Because, as you say, that'd mean he'd step up his playing, if anything. Quitting your job because you have no money doesn't make any sense.

I think the family problems, and other things that have caused his financial troubles are having an effect on his mental health. I think he needs help from some professionals, rather than just sounding off to the press about it.

I guess if you're skint, paying a psychiatrist is out of the question. There must be some help he can get on the NHS.

He says he’s in a good place mentally, though I wonder if that’s “protesting too much.”

There’d definitely be help available on the NHS if he chose to seek it out. Didn’t he say he’d been suffering from depression a few years ago?

I’m not clear on why he’d need to stop playing snooker either. Unless he’d need to show courts that he’ll be around if he’s fighting for custody of his daughter or something like that? But you’d think earning money would be important in that too. I’m not 100% clear on his family situation.

I hope it gets sorted ASAP for him regardless.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:

Maybe if he’s officially bankrupt there’s no ceiling to the amount of prize money that he loses. As in, he literally doesn’t get a penny regardless of how much he wins. So I guess that could explain why he wouldn’t want to play at all. If things are as bitter as we’re led to believe, it’s easy to imagine him making that decision through principle.

But that in itself would create new problems. If the sport provides him with some sense of fulfilment it’d surely be detrimental to his mental health if that wasn’t in his life anymore.

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:

Well quite. And this line about 'it may force me to stop playing'is ridiculous - it's his only way of earning money, no creditors will want that to happen.