Post a reply

Re: Matchroom.Live British Open Final !!

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The planet will be just fine, the human race might extinguish itself, but the planet will carry on regardless

When people say that, I'm never really sure what point they are trying to make.

That the human race is not the ‘everything’ that we might feel it is, but rather a microscopic blip in the context of time and space. We are nothing. A burst of intelligent life that rises and falls in the blink of an eye.

So what? Yes, on the scale of the universe we barely register, and I do think there is a weird sense of comfort to be had from realising just how small humanity is. But in the context of looking at a problem on a human scale it's not particularly helpful.

Bit blunt there, mate.

I was just trying to expand on what Dan had said. The discussion as I interpreted it was about the planet, not humanity.

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:So… what about that British Open final then, eh?
:chin:

There’s a thread for the British Open Final…

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:So… what about that British Open final then, eh?
:chin:

I liked the idea of a Simpsons/Futurama crossover but I felt the Homer Simpsons/Zoidberg storyline was a bit lacking.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:PLEASE USE IT! viewtopic.php?f=700&t=11401&start=240

It was a dark and stormy night, and the timbers of the ship were creaking.

The captain said to his mate “Hey, Joe. Tell us a story”.

“Ok, captain. It was a dark and stormy night, and the timbers of the ship were creaking…”

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The planet will be just fine, the human race might extinguish itself, but the planet will carry on regardless

When people say that, I'm never really sure what point they are trying to make.

That the human race is not the ‘everything’ that we might feel it is, but rather a microscopic blip in the context of time and space. We are nothing. A burst of intelligent life that rises and falls in the blink of an eye.

So what? Yes, on the scale of the universe we barely register, and I do think there is a weird sense of comfort to be had from realising just how small humanity is. But in the context of looking at a problem on a human scale it's not particularly helpful.

Bit blunt there, mate.

I was just trying to expand on what Dan had said. The discussion as I interpreted it was about the planet, not humanity.

Sorry about that, it did come across a bit too aggressively! It's just that I've heard that sort of statement a few times when the conversation turns to climate change, and at best its a pithy pedantic point about the planet still being here long after we've killed ourselves, and at worst it just deflects away from the main discussion.

I'm probably still being a bit too grumpy, I hope no one takes it personally - you're a good bunch by and large.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:Sorry about that, it did come across a bit too aggressively! It's just that I've heard that sort of statement a few times when the conversation turns to climate change, and at best its a pithy pedantic point about the planet still being here long after we've killed ourselves, and at worst it just deflects away from the main discussion.

I'm probably still being a bit too grumpy, I hope no one takes it personally - you're a good bunch by and large.

No worries dude :-) I probably shouldn’t have interpreted it as defensively as I did.

But yeah, I see your point. That kind of discussion tends to involve talk of the planet being ravaged or destroyed, which only really makes sense if it’s in the context of our time here. Which was more the point I was making - it’s humanity being destroyed by our dependence on the planet’s resources rather than the planet being destroyed per se. Most of us agree that dependence will eventually see to the end of the human race (unless we somehow create completely sustainable methods of generating energy).

Beyond that, we don’t really know. Could we colonise another planet in a few thousand years, if we’re still here and sufficiently developed to create the means to do so?

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Er... SpaceCorp will begin building on Mars in a few years. Have you been sleeping under a rock?

Evidently <laugh>

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Er... SpaceCorp will begin building on Mars in a few years. Have you been sleeping under a rock?

Will Mark King be working on it, in his wig?

Indubitably

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:humans invented snooker, isn't that the most important thing.

As far as we're aware they did. I'm yet to see any evidence though that dinosaurs DIDN'T invent it. I guess we'll only know for sure when Mick gets his zoo set up.

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:

As far as we're aware they did. I'm yet to see any evidence though that dinosaurs DIDN'T invent it. I guess we'll only know for sure when Mick gets his zoo set up.

Well T-Rexes at least don’t have the arms for it.

Postby Running side

Iranu wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Well T-Rexes at least don’t have the arms for it.

carn"t reach pockets.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

Hahahahhahhhahhahahha

I managed to convince you, for a few minutes, that Mark King following his ranking win had invested in a wig, and was wearing it in the next tournament, and you couldn't watch while at work and demanded a screen shot

One of my proudest moments on the Island <cool>

Ahhhahahahhhahahahahahah <laugh> <laugh>

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

Yes.

yes, humans invented snooker; or yes, that's the most important thing?

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes.

yes, humans invented snooker; or yes, that's the most important thing?

Both.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Hahahahhahhhahhahahha

I managed to convince you, for a few minutes, that Mark King following his ranking win had invested in a wig, and was wearing it in the next tournament, and you couldn't watch while at work and demanded a screen shot

One of my proudest moments on the Island <cool>

Ahhhahahahhhahahahahahah <laugh> <laugh>

:lol: rofl

Postby Muller

Erich von Daniken is firmly of the belief that snooker was brought here by visiting aliens and has apparently demonstrated that the markings on a snooker table bear an eerie resemblance to what appears to be a landing grid in a remote part of India.

MJW is clearly an extraterrestrial lizard bent on destroying our planet - and that may have been what vodka was warning us about.
Last edited by Muller on 02 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:

I don't see how cloning dinosaurs now could confirm this for historic dinosaurs society, unless there is some sort of race memory of snooker coded into some dinosaur genome. In which case why do we not see snooker played by any of the current avian dinosaurs. Did they just forget, is it latent.

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

I don't see how cloning dinosaurs now could confirm this for historic dinosaurs society, unless there is some sort of race memory of snooker coded into some dinosaur genome. In which case why do we not see snooker played by any of the current avian dinosaurs. Did they just forget, is it latent.

I was assuming that given enough time, they would follow the same evolutionary pattern as in prehistoric times and one day once again invent snooker. I am now starting to see the (many) flaws in this assumption though.

Postby Dan-cat

chengdufan wrote:I was assuming that given enough time, they would follow the same evolutionary pattern as in prehistoric times and one day once again invent snooker. I am now starting to see the (many) flaws in this assumption though.

Exactly. The blue would probably have been purple!

'Whatever you do, don't hit the Purple' - doesn't scan quite as well does it?

Postby James Bentley

Dan-cat wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I was assuming that given enough time, they would follow the same evolutionary pattern as in prehistoric times and one day once again invent snooker. I am now starting to see the (many) flaws in this assumption though.

Exactly. The blue would probably have been purple!

'Whatever you do, don't hit the Purple' - doesn't scan quite as well does it?

That's because it was "whatever you durple, don't hit the purple". Dinosaurs said 'durple' instead of 'do', you see. I'm surprised you weren't aware of this.