Post a reply

scottish open to be played in wales.

Postby csprince

Tuesday 17 Aug 2021 03:10PM
The BetVictor Scottish Open world ranking event will be staged at Venue Cymru in Llandudno in December this year.

Part of the BetVictor Home Nations series, the tournament will run from December 6 to 12 in North Wales. Mark Selby will be defending the title against a field packed with the world’s leading players. Tickets are on sale now, for details CLICK HERE

WST had previously planned to stage the event at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, where it was hosted from 2016 to 2019. However at short notice WST was informed that this was not possible due to a contractual issue.

A spokesman for WST said: “We were disappointed with this decision, particularly as it came one day prior to the box office opening. This left us unable to find another venue in Scotland to host the event – we exhausted all possibilities but none of the suitable alternatives had the relevant dates available.

“We realise this will come as a blow to Scottish fans and players to miss out on a tournament in their own country this season. We fully intend to return the event to Scotland for the 2022/23 season.

“Despite this setback, we are delighted to stage the event in Llandudno which has proved a fantastic location for a wide range of our events in the past and has always found great support amongst our fans in North Wales and beyond.”

Venue Cymru will also host this season’s Cazoo Tour Championship in Spring next year, and in the past has staged events including the World Grand Prix and Players Championship.

The BetVictor Scottish Open will be televised on Eurosport, Quest and a range of other broadcasters and streaming partners worldwide. It counts towards the BetVictor Snooker Series rankings, with the leading money-winner across eight events to bank a £150,000 bonus.

WST has led the sporting world in the post-lockdown return of live audiences, and will continue to work closely with the UK Government on Covid-19 regulation.

Scottish Open to be held in Wales

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

David Hendon @davehendon
The Scottish Open will be in Llandudno. Not WST's fault. They were informed the day before the box office was due to open in Glasgow that the Emirates Arena are no longer permitted to stage an event sponsored by a betting company.
No other Scots venues available at short notice.

Re: Scottish Open to be held in Wales

Postby The_Abbott

lol I hope aliens don't use snooker to understand the Earth's geography.

Alien 1 "Lets invade Scotland"
Alien 2 "Where is that?"
Alien 1: "Its in Wales fool"
Alien 2 "oh OK, then we invade Germany?"
Alien 1 "yes, thats in a place called Milton Keynes".

Postby Wildey

Shambolic

There was obvious a Long Standing problem with the event with tickets of the other Home Nation events going on sale a month ago even longer so pulling out due to betting companies sponsoring the event on the day the tickets going on sale is a bit iffy.

Has there been some Law change in Scotland in recent months even weeks or Days?

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Shambolic

There was obvious a Long Standing problem with the event with tickets of the other Home Nation events going on sale a month ago even longer so pulling out due to betting companies sponsoring the event on the day the tickets going on sale is a bit iffy.

Good point.

The other Home Nations events have had tickets on sale for months. Scottish Open venue was announced as TBA. There was obviously some issue beforehand.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Good point.

The other Home Nations events have had tickets on sale for months. Scottish Open venue was announced as TBA. There was obviously some issue beforehand.

and lets be honest its not a shock bookies are sponsoring snooker is it lol

Postby HappyCamper

Has there been some Law change in Scotland in recent months even weeks or Days?

no law change in scotland. there is currently a uk wide consolation on reforms to the gambling act including looking at the problem of gambling sports sponsorships. and holyrood aren't going to pre-empt that.

glasgow life are the operators of the emirates arena, as well as most of the cities sport and leisure facilities, on behalf of the city council. so it might be an edict from the local government. makes sense since glasgow life's remit included promoting good health and wellbeing in the city, which it would be hard to reconcile with promoting bookies.

they are also owners of scotstoun stadium, where the glasgow rugby team are tenants. a lot of the rugby still has alcohol sponsorship, so wonder if there may be similar issues down the road there too.

Re: scottish open to be played in wales.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:https://www.snookerisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=700&t=11383

hijacking my thread mr fan. :no:

Ah rubbish, you're right. Yours was posted first.

My bad.

Feel free to merge them mods.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:This really is the most World Snooker thing ever though, isn't it?

"Where shall we have the Scottish Open?"
"Errr.... What about Wales?"

it was in milton keynes last year. so getting closer.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:This really is the most World Snooker thing ever though, isn't it?

"Where shall we have the Scottish Open?"
"Errr.... What about Wales?"

it was in milton keynes last year. so getting closer.

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to mention that. rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:are we sure that Neil hasn't joined the board?

He’d never make it to meetings

:lol:

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I know it's not a competition or anything, but I made the Neil Robertson joke in the other thread.

Not a big deal, you know. I mean, whatever.

How would I know that? I’m reading this thread :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I know it's not a competition or anything, but I made the Neil Robertson joke in the other thread.

How would I know that? I’m reading this thread :shrug:

A poor excuse. :irk:

Postby The_Abbott

Its is a competition. I won <laugh>