Post a reply

Re: British Open Last 128 !!!!

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Angles disses the haters.

https://alanangles19.wordpress.com/2021 ... f-british/

Sound thinker that one.

I have a lot of respect for Angles, but I take issue a bit with this;

"As we have all been through the wringer this last 18 months, it’s high time for a collective embrace of the format diversity the World Snooker Tour is serving up during an increasingly (and thankfully) packed calendar"

I don't think we get diversity as much as we pretend we do in the snooker season. We get two tournaments with longer format than best of eleven on the calendar, we get loads of short ones. The "tour needs variety" excuse gets rolled out every time they make a shorter tournament. We never hear; "We've created a tournament with best of nineteen all the way through for diversity reasons."

I get what he's saying about tournaments needing to feel different, but it would be nice for some real variety and not just this fake variety used to justify the shorter tournaments. The season would be better for two or three longer-frame tournaments.

Not to mention the random draw format would be variety enough.

Re: British Open Last 128 !!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Angles disses the haters.

https://alanangles19.wordpress.com/2021 ... f-british/

Sound thinker that one.

I have a lot of respect for Angles, but I take issue a bit with this;

"As we have all been through the wringer this last 18 months, it’s high time for a collective embrace of the format diversity the World Snooker Tour is serving up during an increasingly (and thankfully) packed calendar"

I don't think we get diversity as much as we pretend we do in the snooker season. We get two tournaments with longer format than best of eleven on the calendar, we get loads of short ones. The "tour needs variety" excuse gets rolled out every time they make a shorter tournament. We never hear; "We've created a tournament with best of nineteen all the way through for diversity reasons."

I get what he's saying about tournaments needing to feel different, but it would be nice for some real variety and not just this fake variety used to justify the shorter tournaments. The season would be better for two or three longer-frame tournaments.

Not to mention the random draw format would be variety enough.

My problem with the format was more towards the end, then at the beginning. Yes, the best of fives sound crap on paper, but having the quarters and semis squashed in on way day isn't great. And even that I could forgive if they had a proper best of 19 final. Snooker Final Sunday is going to be marmite if we sit around all day waiting for the snooker to start.

Maybe if the earlier rounds were best of seven, quarters and semis as they were and a best of 17/19 final. Something like that.

But, as Dan says, a lot of deciders etc have made the early rounds better than they could've been.

Re: Matchroom.Live British Open Last 128 !!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Also, the ITV4 coverage hasn't hurt.

When the BBC covered best of fives, there we doing stupid rubbish like hyping up 2-0 leads as almost unassailable. If I remember correctly, they didn't have many deciders, so when somebody went two frames clear, they were spunking themselves like; "Will their opponent come back from this difficult position?" As if winning three frames in a row is mission impossible.

ITV4 has been better at presenting it for what it is.