Post a reply

Re: Cazoo UK Championship Last 32 !!!!!

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:Judd’s a idiot. He just wants WST to shorten the frames in the UK and WC so it gives him a better chance of winning. He’s embarrassed because he’s lauded as a “great” yet has such a poor return in TC events. He just ent got the minerals to be in the same class as Ronnie, Hendry, Higgy, Davis, Reardon, Selby and Williams.

I remember a couple of years ago on here, there was a big discussion over Judd’s game at the time and whether it was his true level or in fact just a big purple patch.

I’m starting to think it might have been the latter. That’s not to say his true level isn’t high - it’s still loads better than the majority - but he just hasn’t shown quite the quality he did at that time. He hasn’t really threatened it with any kind of consistency.

Judd managed to find that perfect storm in 2019: Playing his absolute best ever snooker during the World Championship final. A player can’t practice for that, predict it, or try to time it. But every snooker player at the top of the game knows that if they happened to play that kind of freak snooker in a final, they’d win. Every player has one of those short spells of form once in their career. Sometimes it’s a few days long, sometimes just one day, and often it’s in practice or in the early rounds of a small tournament. Very rarely does it ever happen in a big final, let alone the World final.

I don’t know if that did him much good in some ways. He’s desperate to perform like that again - after all, he proved he could play that kind of snooker on the biggest stage of all. But the further that match slips into history, and the longer he goes without even coming close to repeating a performance on that level in one of the big three tournaments, the more it’ll start to look a purple patch to us, and feel like it to him.