Ryan Day
David Lilley
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Stephen Maguire
---------------------------------------------------------
English Open Champion or Ding Junhui

Re: Champion of Champions line up.

Postby SnookerEd25

Assuming the English Open is won by a player already in the qualified list, who is in line for the last spot if Ding declines his entry?

Postby SnookerFan

I notice how it reverts back to rankings being the criteria when Ronnie hasn't won anything. rofl

More seriously though, I do prefer the Champion Of Champions entrants to all be champions of something, even if they only won some Mickey Mouse tournament. You get The Masters as an event based on ranking, and you get the Players Championships/Tour Championships based on the one year list.

The CoC feels like it's something different to that. And it feels a shame that people aren't champions that enter. What if somebody won the tournament, when they haven't won anything to qualify? Seems stupid.

Postby Wildey

SnookerEd25 wrote:Assuming the English Open is won by a player already in the qualified list, who is in line for the last spot if Ding declines his entry?

Bingham

Hawkins
Lisowski
McGill

if ding Declines, any one of those 4 players could get in depending on their English Open performances.

Postby Prop

I hope Ding does play. Feel like he’s slipping out of the limelight a bit.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:Is Ding playing at the English Open?

he is in the first round draw, due to play andrew pagett.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:Is Ding playing at the English Open?

i posted a thread about it and you replied.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:I hope Ding does play. Feel like he’s slipping out of the limelight a bit.

Ding will never be a world champion, it's written in the stars.

Postby Juddernaut88

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:I hope Ding does play. Feel like he’s slipping out of the limelight a bit.

Most of us still enjoy watching him play though. It's been weird without him.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

He has great cueball control, he's always very close to the next ball.

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Yep, this was more my point. He’s got his family now, and maybe that’s more of a priority in some ways. And nobody can deny him that. But he’s good enough to win more if he wants it. An in-form Ding is one of the best sights in snooker.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Yep, this was more my point. He’s got his family now, and maybe that’s more of a priority in some ways. And nobody can deny him that. But he’s good enough to win more if he wants it. An in-form Ding is one of the best sights in snooker.

Well he was away from them for like a year wasn’t he? So it’s an unusual situation for us to judge his priorities/commitment especially as his daughter’s so young. It’ll be interesting to see how he plays when he’s back.

I still think he’ll win the world title, just needs to avoid Selby and Ronnie for the next decade <laugh>

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Yep, this was more my point. He’s got his family now, and maybe that’s more of a priority in some ways. And nobody can deny him that. But he’s good enough to win more if he wants it. An in-form Ding is one of the best sights in snooker.

Well he was away from them for like a year wasn’t he? So it’s an unusual situation for us to judge his priorities/commitment especially as his daughter’s so young. It’ll be interesting to see how he plays when he’s back.

I still think he’ll win the world title, just needs to avoid Selby and Ronnie for the next decade <laugh>

Oh yeah, absolutely. I’m not saying he’s any less hungry. If I’m judging him at all it’d be to commend his decision. Sometimes there are more important things.

I do hope you’re right!

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

:goodpost:

Postby chengdufan

MatFromDerby wrote:Why no women players in the CoC?

:welcomes:

Most likely because there were no women's tournaments last season. Normally it would have been the Women's World Champion.

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:Does anyone know which player's will be in which grou? Or has that not been announced yet?

Not yet announced.

Postby Wildey

These are currently the players Due to Covid-19 and other circumstances that can change, and another player could be added.

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Neil Robertson
Kyren Wilson
Shaun Murphy
John Higgins
Stephen Maguire
Mark J Williams
Ding Junhui
Yan Bingtao
Stuart Bingham
Dave Gilbert
Ryan Day
Jordan Brown
David Lilley

Reserves
Barry Hawkins
Jack Lisowski
Anthony McGill
Zhou Yuelong

Postby Reg Varney

SnookerFan wrote:I notice how it reverts back to rankings being the criteria when Ronnie hasn't won anything. rofl

Similar to how the criteria for qualifying for the Grand Slam of Darts seemingly changed every year dependent on what was required to shoehorn Van Barneveld into it.

Postby SnookerFan

Reg Varney wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I notice how it reverts back to rankings being the criteria when Ronnie hasn't won anything. rofl

Similar to how the criteria for qualifying for the Grand Slam of Darts seemingly changed every year dependent on what was required to shoehorn Van Barneveld into it.

I don't really follow darts, but I'll take your word for it.

Postby Andre147

Reg Varney wrote:

It didn't change. It was always like this. Imagine someone would win most of the events, what criteria would they then use?

Like I said, it's always been like this, not just because Ronnie, or Ding for instance didn't win a tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:It didn't change. It was always like this. Imagine someone would win most of the events, what criteria would they then use?

Like I said, it's always been like this, not just because Ronnie, or Ding for instance didn't win a tournament.

Is there any reason that they didn't use the Seniors World Champion this year?

Don't they usually find some competition winner, no mater how Noddy the tournament, just so they can say that they're all champions? They definitely usually have certain tournaments on reserve in case the more major tournaments are won by the same person.

Is it true that the women's tour has been down due to Covid this year? That would explain why there's no World Women's Champion there.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:It didn't change. It was always like this. Imagine someone would win most of the events, what criteria would they then use?

Is there any reason that they didn't use the Seniors World Champion this year?

Don't they usually find some competition winner, no mater how Noddy the tournament, just so they can say that they're all champions? They definitely usually have certain tournaments on reserve in case the more major tournaments are won by the same person.

Is it true that the women's tour has been down due to Covid this year? That would explain why there's no World Women's Champion there.

World seniors champ has qualified this year. It's David Lilley.

There was no women's world championship.

The last few spots are usually taken up by rankings top-ups if there just aren't enough distinct event winners.