Post a reply

BetVictor Gibraltar Open!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Thursday 24th ~ Saturday 26th of March at The Europa Sports Complex, Gibraltar

After a long awaited return to action last year in this event Stephen Hendry has again fallen off the radar and not entered tournaments this year. Who Knows his Comeback seems to come to an end before it started.

But this will be the strongest field yet for Gibraltar with no fewer than 12 players still with a chance to win the BetVictor series from Greats of the Game like John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Neil Robertson and Judd Trump to players of a certain Maturity that fell off the radar like Joe Perry and Ricky Walden to unheralded player like Fan Zhengyi.

£50,000 for winning in Gibralter and £150,000 for the series this is a no miss conclusion.

Plus places in Llandudno for the Tour Championship still up in the air.

Who will Win?

DRAW

Selected last 128 Matches
Judd Trump v Andrew Higginson
Scott Donaldson v Lu Ning
Ricky Walden v Liam Highfield
Ryan Day v Ng On Yee
Lee Walker v Zhou Yuelong
Martin O'Donnell v Jordan Brown
Shaun Murphy v Ken Doherty
Xu Si v Iulian Boiko
Barry Hawkins v Zhang Anda
John Higgins v David Grace
Anthony McGill v Aaron Hill
Ding Junhui v Mark Lloyd
Gary Wilson v Mark King
Jack Lisowski v Mark Davis
Matthew Stevens v Michael Judge
Andrew Pagett v Allister Carter
Kyren Wilson v Lukas Kleckers
Oliver Lines v David Gilbert
Luca Brecel v Kurt Maflin
Hossein Vafaei v Jak Jones
Jimmy White v Anthony Hamilton
Stuart Bingham v Gerard Greene
Zhao Xintong v Jamie Clarke
Mark J Williams v Ross Muir
Mark Allen v Mark Joyce
Jamie Wilson v Reanne Evans
James Cahill v Ben Hancorn
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Francis Becerra
Joe Perry v Sam Craigie
Stephen Maguire v Michael White
Nigel Bond v Chen Zifan
Fan Zhengyi v Ashley Hugill
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ben Woollaston

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: BetVictor Gibraltar Open!!

Postby Wildey

Mathematically John Higgins and Mark Allen still not safe for Llandudno But to overtake them a Final minimum in Gibralter is the only way to dislodge them from the Field.

Mark Allen in 7th spot can start singing i like to be beside the seaside but for John Higgins maybe just half pack because this season been so unpredictable to say the least.

Postby Andre147

Great intro to the thread Wild!

I think the main reason Ronnie has actually entered the tournament for the first time is he's still in with a chance to win big prize of the BetVictor Series.

It's going to be a great event and I'll be there myself to see it and witness it.

Postby McManusFan

Wildey wrote:Mathematically John Higgins and Mark Allen still not safe for Llandudno But to overtake them a Final minimum in Gibralter is the only way to dislodge them from the Field.

Mark Allen in 7th spot can start singing i like to be beside the seaside but for John Higgins maybe just half pack because this season been so unpredictable to say the least.

It'd be ridiculous if John didn't make the tour champs after getting to all those finals. Shows how bonkers the ranking system is.

Postby LDS

McManusFan wrote:It'd be ridiculous if John didn't make the tour champs after getting to all those finals. Shows how bonkers the ranking system is.

Hold on to your horses there, 2 of his five finals were non-ranking events.

So he 'only' has 3 final defeats out of 14 ranking events this season. Since the Tour Champs is only 8 people that means some kind of winning + other good results is going to be required for everyone there. Though I do get what you're saying, I don't think it necessarily reflects badly on the rankings in this particular case.

Postby Yanfan

I'm not really familiar with this tournament. I don't know why. I've been into snooker for at least 2 ½ years, so I must have watched it before.

What I want to know is, why is it only three days long? :?

Postby LDS

Yanfan wrote:I'm not really familiar with this tournament. I don't know why. I've been into snooker for at least 2 ½ years, so I must have watched it before.

It's best of 7s from beginning to end, with lots of tables.

Postby SnookerFan

There used to be a load of events like this, called the Players Tour Championships. Or PTCs for short.

This is the only one that survives.

Postby Vallomas

My most active topic here is still this for the 2015 Gibraltar Open. So, I am a big fan of the event.

Postby McManusFan

LDS wrote:
McManusFan wrote:It'd be ridiculous if John didn't make the tour champs after getting to all those finals. Shows how bonkers the ranking system is.

Hold on to your horses there, 2 of his five finals were non-ranking events.

So he 'only' has 3 final defeats out of 14 ranking events this season. Since the Tour Champs is only 8 people that means some kind of winning + other good results is going to be required for everyone there. Though I do get what you're saying, I don't think it necessarily reflects badly on the rankings in this particular case.

Fair point, I'd forgotten two of them were invitationals. Still, the gap between runner up and winner is too large in most, if not all tournaments.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:There used to be a load of events like this, called the Players Tour Championships. Or PTCs for short.

Do you miss those days at all?

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:There used to be a load of events like this, called the Players Tour Championships. Or PTCs for short.

Well, not really.

There were reasons the PTCs existed, but they were never great watches. I tried to get into them a couple of times, and watch them for the entire weekend, but after a couple of matches I was usually bored.

Saying that, I'd have taken a few more PTC events when lockdown ended than those endless Championshit League tournaments we kept getting.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Well, not really.

There were reasons the PTCs existed, but they were never great watches. I tried to get into them a couple of times, and watch them for the entire weekend, but after a couple of matches I was usually bored.

Saying that, I'd have taken a few more PTC events when lockdown ended than those endless Championshit League tournaments we kept getting.

Yeah I don't think I really watched many PTC events to be honest. I do agree though I'd much rather have had them instead of the championship league though. I hope we don't get 2 Championship leagues next season because it is becoming a p111s take now.

Postby Yanfan

LDS wrote:
Yanfan wrote:I'm not really familiar with this tournament. I don't know why. I've been into snooker for at least 2 ½ years, so I must have watched it before.

OK. Thanks. <ok>

Should be good with all the top boys there. :-)

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:

used to be a proper pro-am style situation, with all sorts turning up for the amateur qualifying. sadly seems to just be run of the mill pros with a few top-ups this year.

Postby Yanfan

HappyCamper wrote:
LDS wrote:

used to be a proper pro-am style situation, with all sorts turning up for the amateur qualifying. sadly seems to just be run of the mill pros with a few top-ups this year.

I like watching unknown amateurs in pro tournaments. I always hope one of them is going to play like a superhero and make a big 'splash'. Because people have told me that was what Tony Drago did when he first came here from Malta.

I haven't seen anyone fit the bill yet, though. :|
Last edited by Yanfan on 14 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The_Abbott

love a Gibs Open.

Maybe Hendry realised the buzz was no longer there and has given up (although I expect him to enter the WC).

Ronnie playing in the pig sty if it means wining 150,000 smackers.

Postby mantorok

Vallomas wrote:My most active topic here is still this for the 2015 Gibraltar Open. So, I am a big fan of the event.

Is that because you were the only one watching?

Postby Vallomas

mantorok wrote:
Vallomas wrote:My most active topic here is still this for the 2015 Gibraltar Open. So, I am a big fan of the event.

Just revisited it and found that one of its 21 pages had only SnookerFan's posts.

Postby Juddernaut88

Vallomas wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Just revisited it and found that one of its 21 pages had only SnookerFan's posts.

rofl I bet it was all random stuff too.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Vallomas wrote:
mantorok wrote:

THEY WERE POSTS OF THE HIGHEST QUALTY! :grrr:

Postby The_Abbott

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Vallomas wrote:
mantorok wrote:

plenty of :goodpost: thrown in to <laugh>

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
Vallomas wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I just had a look at the first 2 pages of it and to be fair most of your comments were good ones.
You also told everyone the story about a pic you took with Mark Selby.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
Vallomas wrote:
mantorok wrote:

DECLINE!!!

Postby Minimum Break

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Well, not really.

Yeah I don't think I really watched many PTC events to be honest. I do agree though I'd much rather have had them instead of the championship league though. I hope we don't get 2 Championship leagues next season because it is becoming a p111s take now.

It would be funny if they get rid of the Ranking version and Dave Gilbert doesn't get to defend the title.

Postby Wildey

When Hearn took over the game he introduced quick events 12 of them to get players playing all over 3 days and this is the last man standing of thoes events