Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Gibraltar Open!!

Postby Iranu

LethalWeapon193 wrote:I personally think winning the triple crown events should carry more emphasis on whether a player is a top player or not. I used the term tournaments referencing that.

Bottom line is I don't see Kyren as a top player. If he's a "top player" then what are Ronnie, Judd, Selby, Neil, Williams?!

Ronnie is obviously in the category of the greatest of all time, but players like Judd, Selby, Neil I would say are top players. That's coming from someone who doesn't even really enjoy watching Selby play by the way so it isn't a personal dig at Kyren. I can recognise Selby is a top player whereas I see Kyren as being average a lot of the time.

Okay, this definitely seems like an issue of terminology and its interpretation.

To me, those players you listed are Greats - i.e.I’d expect them to be included in at least a top 20ish players of all time.

Whereas a top player is much more fluid, and requires far fewer achievements - Kyren has spent several seasons in the top 16/top 8 and regularly reaches the latter stages of tournaments. If you see his name in a semi final line-up, you’re not going to think “wtf, that’s crazy that he’s got that far.” Several players have had periods where they’ve been in this category. To be a “top player” to me is to be among the best in the world in, say, the last few seasons. Which Kyren based on his results definitely has.

You can spend time as a top player, and then stop being a top player (hi Matthew Stevens) whereas if you’re a Great, you’ll always be a Great.

And in a similar vein, I should make clear that I do not enjoy watching Kyren play.

Postby SnookerEd25

Top player, Kyren Wilson; but not everyone enjoys wataching him play.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Didn't there used to be two matches a day at the Tour Championships?

Yes, but there also used to be the death penalty and unrestrained ostracism of unmarried mothers.

The world evolves, SF - deal with it.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Didn't there used to be two matches a day at the Tour Championships?

Yes, but there also used to be the death penalty and unrestrained ostracism of unmarried mothers.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

At the Tour Championships?

What, was it like an ITV feature?

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Is that what happened to Stephen Lee?

Postby Vallomas

So delighted for the Milkman. The way he beat Mark Allen at the last 32 match was a sign for something big. Fortunately, he did it.

Postby Juddernaut88

I think in 2019 there was, but that was the year there was a best of 25 final.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:

They should bring the best of 25 final back.

Maybe add an extra day to the tournament.

Okay, won't happen. But we can dream.

Postby Dragonfly

I don't place any value whatsoever on the Gibraltar open. Just stumbled onto it last night while channel hopping. I must say I got involved when I saw Milkins. Nice to see such an unlikely and unassuming winner.

I'm sure Milkins places plenty of value in the Gibraltar open. For the major players it really shouldn't mean very much, but for someone in his position it's a great win, and nice to see him succeed

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

The issue is though in 2019, 2 matches were on at the same time and the majority of us could only watch 1 of them due to the fact ITV don't have any other option of watching the other tables. Bringing the tournament forward by a day could be another option but that is very unlikely. I think the format this year and last year is fine though as at least we get to watch every single match.
This is the only ITV event where we get coverage on a Saturday afternoon.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

The issue is though in 2019, 2 matches were on at the same time and the majority of us could only watch 1 of them due to the fact ITV don't have any other option of watching the other tables. Bringing the tournament forward by a day could be another option but that is very unlikely. I think the format this year and last year is fine though as at least we get to watch every single match.
This is the only ITV event where we get coverage on a Saturday afternoon.

Yes.

I remember being annoyed. I'd had the week off to watch that.

And some people want ITV to show The Crucible..

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

pmsl