Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Gibraltar Open!!

Postby Iranu

LethalWeapon193 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
LethalWeapon193 wrote:So that would be a total of zero wins in those tournaments. Top player indeed....

Plenty of top players in any era haven’t won one of the big three.

Genuine curiosity, who are you naming as a top player that never won a major?

I’d rather you answered my question first, rather than cropping it out of your reply.

Postby Alex0paul

This has truly been the best snooker crowd ever

Postby LethalWeapon193

Iranu wrote:
LethalWeapon193 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
LethalWeapon193 wrote:So that would be a total of zero wins in those tournaments. Top player indeed....

Plenty of top players in any era haven’t won one of the big three.

Genuine curiosity, who are you naming as a top player that never won a major?

I’d rather you answered my question first, rather than cropping it out of your reply.

I've already described why I don't see him as a top player. You made the statement that there were plenty of top players that haven't won a major, could you name those players?

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:For the first time ever I’m looking forward to the think pink table update.

I'll Matthew Stevens it probably.

Postby mantorok

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Another lovely snooker evening.

Really enjoyed that.

It was alright that, especially for a short format.

Postby Juddernaut88

Confirmed fixtures for The Tour Championship:

Judd Trump vs Luca Brecel
Ronnie Sullivan vs Mark Williams
Neil Robertson vs Mark Allen
Zhao Xintong vs John Higgins

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:What day is Ronnie vs Mark Williams?

Wednesday.

Postby Iranu

LethalWeapon193 wrote:I've already described why I don't see him as a top player. You made the statement that there were plenty of top players that haven't won a major, could you name those players?

So to be clear, you consider a top player in any tour era to only be a player to have won a Triple Crown event?

A few examples of top players at various times who haven’t won a TC event: Barry Hawkins, Stephen Lee, Ali Carter, James Wattana.

Each of those for example have been ranked in the top 5 snooker players in the world at one time or another.

Postby LethalWeapon193

Iranu wrote:
LethalWeapon193 wrote:I've already described why I don't see him as a top player. You made the statement that there were plenty of top players that haven't won a major, could you name those players?

So to be clear, you consider a top player in any tour era to only be a player to have won a Triple Crown event?

A few examples of top players at various times who haven’t won a TC event: Barry Hawkins, Stephen Lee, Ali Carter, James Wattana.

Each of those for example have been ranked in the top 5 snooker players in the world at one time or another.

Listen it is all about opinions at the end of the day. Those players you listed I think are good but I personally would not say any of those are "top players".

I guess it is how you view the phrase "top player". For me, that is someone who consistently wins tournaments. Those players you listed I would say are good, but too inconsistent to be regarded as top players.

Again that is just my opinion and if you feel different fair enough that is just how you view things.

Postby Iranu

LethalWeapon193 wrote:Listen it is all about opinions at the end of the day. Those players you listed I think are good but I personally would not say any of those are "top players".

I guess it is how you view the phrase "top player". For me, that is someone who consistently wins tournaments. Those players you listed I would say are good, but too inconsistent to be regarded as top players.

Again that is just my opinion and if you feel different fair enough that is just how you view things.

Okay but you didn’t mention “tournaments”. You mentioned performances in the Triple Crown events specifically.

Stephen Maguire has won a TC event but is far less consistent than someone like Kyren, who has fairly consistently been in contention for TC events even if he’s yet to win one. Is Kyren more or less a top player than Stephen?

FWIW my definition of a top player is one who you’d expect/be unsurprised to see in the latter stages of any given event, with some semblance of regularity. There’s a difference between being a current top player and being on a list of great players in history: will Ali Carter be on any Great lists? Will he buck. Has he spent time as one of the top players in the game? Absolutely.

Postby Juddernaut88

Prop wrote:

Wednesday.

Is it? I've not seen any schedules yet unfortunately.

Postby LethalWeapon193

I personally think winning the triple crown events should carry more emphasis on whether a player is a top player or not. I used the term tournaments referencing that.

Bottom line is I don't see Kyren as a top player. If he's a "top player" then what are Ronnie, Judd, Selby, Neil, Williams?!

Ronnie is obviously in the category of the greatest of all time, but players like Judd, Selby, Neil I would say are top players. That's coming from someone who doesn't even really enjoy watching Selby play by the way so it isn't a personal dig at Kyren. I can recognise Selby is a top player whereas I see Kyren as being average a lot of the time.

Postby LethalWeapon193

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Prop wrote:

Wednesday.

Is it? I've not seen any schedules yet unfortunately.

Xingtong v Higgins - Monday
Robertson v Allen - Tuesday
O'Sullivan v Williams - Wednesday
Trump v Brecel - Thursday

Afternoon and then evening sessions each day.