Post a reply

Re: BetVictor German Masters Qualifying !!!!

Postby Raziel

lhpirnie wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Andre147 wrote:All over, Ronnie loses 5-0. In little more than an hour, this what you would expect Ronnie to do.

Fair play to Vafaei, took his chances well, albeit with a desinterested Ronnie from the first shot, you could see it.

Yes, Ronnie (almost) meets my expectations once again. I actually predicted that he would pull out of this tournament. He didn't actually pull out. But he may as well have done if he was going to put in a completely disinterested performance like that.

I wonder if Ronnie thinks his fans want to see a disinteresed Ronnie playing? If I had millions of fans wanting to see me play, I would at least try my hardest.

Well, he has sold a few hundred tickets for the Tempodrom from German fans hoping to see him at last.

So Ronnie puts in a completely disinterested performance and lets down his German fans. This should not be a surprise. Ronnie letting down his fans is not something new.

Postby Raziel

SnookerFan wrote:The thing with the top-16 playing in qualifiers like this is, you can't guarantee that they'll make it through to the main venue. If you book tickets in advance hoping to see your favourite player, you have to know that there's a risk that they won't be there.

Either don't buy tickets, wait until the draw is made them, or buy tickets and just watch whoever it is that you get to see play.

What you say is very true. But the top 16 player should at least be interested in trying to get to the main venue. Did you watch Ronnie's match last night? He was not interested at all.

Postby LDS

Raziel wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The thing with the top-16 playing in qualifiers like this is, you can't guarantee that they'll make it through to the main venue. If you book tickets in advance hoping to see your favourite player, you have to know that there's a risk that they won't be there.

Either don't buy tickets, wait until the draw is made them, or buy tickets and just watch whoever it is that you get to see play.

What you say is very true. But the top 16 player should at least be interested in trying to get to the main venue. Did you watch Ronnie's match last night? He was not interested at all.

It's not a new thing though. In fact, it's so common a thing that it is a crucial part of being a Ronnie fan, the initial excitement at guessing whether he'll bother to perform or not.

You can't react to these instances the same way every time, constantly repeating all the things that were said the first few times he has done something similar as if it were suddenly the first time.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie default mode when he's losing is play like he don't care....Ronnie would not be there if he didn't want to win but his game was not on point and Hossein was playing well so he went for Plan B (political) and lashed out.

Against Selby in 2020 WC semi it came off against Hossein last night it didnt.

Postby Wildey

So last day of the German Qualifiers who will be at the Tempodrom in Berlin

Hossein Vafaei v Andrew Higginson
Liang Wenbo v Ben Hancorn
Zhao Jianbo v David Gilbert
Lei Peifan v Yan Bingtao

Postby lhpirnie

LDS wrote:
Raziel wrote:

It's not a new thing though. In fact, it's so common a thing that it is a crucial part of being a Ronnie fan, the initial excitement at guessing whether he'll bother to perform or not.

You can't react to these instances the same way every time, constantly repeating all the things that were said the first few times he has done something similar as if it were suddenly the first time.

It's possible Ronnie just hated the qualification set-up. Those two tables in a grim venue with no spectators. If so then he might appreciate more the conditions that 'ordinary' players have to put up with. Also, if I were the organiser of the German Masters, I'd be pretty sick of not getting to see the most popular figure, and want to restructure the tournament so that top players get invited without qualifying rounds. An invitational top-30 plus a couple of German wildcards would make a great tournament.

Postby SnookerEd25

It would be a pity if Hossein didn’t make it, particularly after his stunning win against an in-form six-time World Champion :john:

Postby Raziel

SnookerEd25 wrote:It would be a pity if Hossein didn’t make it, particularly after his stunning win against an in-form six-time World Champion :john:

Very true. Hossain is an excellent player and I hope he makes it to the Tempodrom. <ok>

Postby Raziel

Wildey wrote:Ronnie default mode when he's losing is play like he don't care....Ronnie would not be there if he didn't want to win but his game was not on point and Hossein was playing well so he went for Plan B (political) and lashed out.

That was the ONLY time Ronnie's lashing out ever worked, wasn't it? :-)

Postby Raziel

lhpirnie wrote:
LDS wrote:
Raziel wrote:

It's possible Ronnie just hated the qualification set-up. Those two tables in a grim venue with no spectators. If so then he might appreciate more the conditions that 'ordinary' players have to put up with. Also, if I were the organiser of the German Masters, I'd be pretty sick of not getting to see the most popular figure, and want to restructure the tournament so that top players get invited without qualifying rounds. An invitational top-30 plus a couple of German wildcards would make a great tournament.

That's a good idea. There are several other tournaments where certain matches are held over to the main venue. I'm sure something could be worked out. There must be lots of German fans that were disappointed by Ronnie's disinterested performance last night. I think they deserve a break.

Postby Raziel

Sorry about my over zealous posting today. I am on prescription steroids for complications due to ankylosing spondylitis, and the doctor upped my dosage this morning.

I feel like I could out box Anthony Joshua at the moment. LOL. :-D

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:It's possible Ronnie just hated the qualification set-up. Those two tables in a grim venue with no spectators. If so then he might appreciate more the conditions that 'ordinary' players have to put up with. Also, if I were the organiser of the German Masters, I'd be pretty sick of not getting to see the most popular figure, and want to restructure the tournament so that top players get invited without qualifying rounds. An invitational top-30 plus a couple of German wildcards would make a great tournament.

It would, and it would also allow for fewer tables in the arena early in the week, but I admit I’m a bit surprised you’re suggesting it considering your post on another thread below:

lhpirnie wrote:Yes, the top players are given special treatment, and the lower-ranked players are excluded. That's WST's idea of 'meritocracy', i.e. building numpty-free zones either by venue or by calendar. I'm sure they are hoping the current elite benefit from their advantageous position, and stay there for another 10 years.

I know you’re suggesting it as an invitational not a ranker but wouldn’t that just be removing another opportunity for lower-ranked players to get match practice and earn money?

Unless they had an invitational as well as the German Masters, obviously.

And let’s be honest it’s not the format’s fault that Ronnie played the way he did last night.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:It's possible Ronnie just hated the qualification set-up. Those two tables in a grim venue with no spectators. If so then he might appreciate more the conditions that 'ordinary' players have to put up with. Also, if I were the organiser of the German Masters, I'd be pretty sick of not getting to see the most popular figure, and want to restructure the tournament so that top players get invited without qualifying rounds. An invitational top-30 plus a couple of German wildcards would make a great tournament.

It would, and it would also allow for fewer tables in the arena early in the week, but I admit I’m a bit surprised you’re suggesting it considering your post on another thread below:

lhpirnie wrote:Yes, the top players are given special treatment, and the lower-ranked players are excluded. That's WST's idea of 'meritocracy', i.e. building numpty-free zones either by venue or by calendar. I'm sure they are hoping the current elite benefit from their advantageous position, and stay there for another 10 years.

I know you’re suggesting it as an invitational not a ranker but wouldn’t that just be removing another opportunity for lower-ranked players to get match practice and earn money?

Unless they had an invitational as well as the German Masters, obviously.

And let’s be honest it’s not the format’s fault that Ronnie played the way he did last night.

As you know I think all tournaments should count towards rankings. Yes, the tour should be restructured to allow invitationals alongside full-draw events. My own preferred solution for 32-player events would be to have a smaller number of qualifiers. I also think there should be more regional events, which players ranked lower down could play in. I believe in stratified events.
Last edited by lhpirnie on 26 Oct 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

Raziel wrote:Sorry about my over zealous posting today. I am on prescription steroids for complications due to ankylosing spondylitis, and the doctor upped my dosage this morning.

Ah. That’s the condition that did for Chris Small’s career. I gather it can be very painful. I hope they are easing your discomfort.

(Still trying to source the Stuart Pittman book for you, by the way. No luck yet, but I’ll keep trying <ok> )

Postby Wildey

Raziel wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie default mode when he's losing is play like he don't care....Ronnie would not be there if he didn't want to win but his game was not on point and Hossein was playing well so he went for Plan B (political) and lashed out.

That was the ONLY time Ronnie's lashing out ever worked, wasn't it? :-)

its a great tactic when you got no answers and the talent to potentially pull it off.

Go out potting and throw your cue at everything, or lose playing safe and grinding.

We all know Ronnie cant be bothered to play for hours

Postby Iranu

I’m not sure the WC semi and last night are all that comparable to be honest. There’s a big difference between lashing at snooker escapes and lashing at the break-off, and I don’t recall Ronnie nattering with someone during the Selby semi. He was focused on that job, he’d just made a decision not to get involved in a particular side of the game.

That’s different to having a 15 second AST and doing Quinten Hann break-offs and chatting while you’re playing.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:I’m not sure the WC semi and last night are all that comparable to be honest. There’s a big difference between lashing at snooker escapes and lashing at the break-off, and I don’t recall Ronnie nattering with someone during the Selby semi. He was focused on that job, he’d just made a decision not to get involved in a particular side of the game.

That’s different to having a 15 second AST and doing Quinten Hann break-offs and chatting while you’re playing.

Your right

He was being a bucking pin end last night

Postby Raziel

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Raziel wrote:Sorry about my over zealous posting today. I am on prescription steroids for complications due to ankylosing spondylitis, and the doctor upped my dosage this morning.

Ah. That’s the condition that did for Chris Small’s career. I gather it can be very painful. I hope they are easing your discomfort.

(Still trying to source the Stuart Pittman book for you, by the way. No luck yet, but I’ll keep trying <ok> )

I did not know that about Chris Small. I feel sorry for him. I remember him having a purple patch some years ago where he was virtually unbeatable for a few months. Nice chap, too. I have met him a couple of times. How it affects me is that it makes me unable to get down on the cue properly. My neck and back don't bend anywhere near as much as they used to.

The steroids do help with relieving the inflammation. And I also have morphine sulphate tablets to take if it gets too painful. (Lucky I'm not a snooker professional. I don't think I would pass one of their drugs tests. LOL. :-D )

Thank you for still trying to source the Stuart Pittman book for me. I am also still trying, but no luck at all at the moment.

Postby Raziel

Iranu wrote:I’m not sure the WC semi and last night are all that comparable to be honest. There’s a big difference between lashing at snooker escapes and lashing at the break-off, and I don’t recall Ronnie nattering with someone during the Selby semi. He was focused on that job, he’d just made a decision not to get involved in a particular side of the game.

That is very true. I agree completely. Ronnie was just being a moody little brat last night.

But it wasn't a surprise to anyone. It's not as if it hasn't happened many times before.

It doesn't bother me any more. I expect it to happen. I just feel sorry for all the German fans who were looking forward to seeing him at the Tempodrome, and then had to witness a pathetic moody performance like that.

Postby Dragonfly

Ronnie is a tit. People should realise that by now. And I say that being a fan of his for nearly 30 years. I've given up on his moods, I just try to enjoy watching him play when he puts his mind to it.

It's obvious he hates about 90% of the events, and those ridiculous qualifying matches. I do hope he will make a proper effort at the bigger events. But I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Postby Raziel

Dan-cat wrote:Mike, Raziel, great stories. Love 'em :-)

Tell us about Willie!

Out of all the hundreds (maybe thousands) of people I met in snooker over the years, I only took a real dislike to two people. One was Ronnie O'Sullivan (succinctly described by DRAGONFLY earlier in this thread as a 'tit'.) If you want to know what Ronnie is like as a person, ask someone like John Higgins, Mark Selby or Mark Williams. Don't ask one of the lower ranked professionals, as they are mostly still in awe of him.

The other person I took a real dislike to was Willie Thorne. Many years ago I was at the British Open in Plymouth when a friend of mine came up to me smiling and brandishing a cheque for £70 written out to him by Willie Thorne. He told me that Willie asked him if he could front him some cash if he wrote him a cheque to cover it. My friend had never met Willie before and just knew him as a pro snooker player. My friend was pleased that Willie had asked him. I thought it was strange but made no more of it at the time.

About a week or so later, I met my friend at the club and he told me that Willie Thorne's cheque had 'bounced'. Again, I didn't make much of it. I thought it must just be a mistake or something. A couple of weeks later I was at a pro-am, talking to one the lower ranked pros at the time, and I told him about the cheque. He laughed out loud and said "Let that be a lesson to you. Willie does that cheque scam virtually everywhere he goes. Hardly anyone ever gets paid pack. And if he ever bumps into the person again, he just spins them some tale and mostly they fall for his bullcrap again."

So, the Great WT, over 25 years ago, owed unsuspecting people money all over the country. And he got it by using his 'fame' to convince people to lend it to him.

Some people say this was due to his gambling addiction 'illness'. Personally, I have another word for it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Raziel wrote:

Tell us about Willie!

Out of all the hundreds (maybe thousands) of people I met in snooker over the years, I only took a real dislike to two people. One was Ronnie O'Sullivan (succinctly described by DRAGONFLY earlier in this thread as a 'tit'.) If you want to know what Ronnie is like as a person, ask someone like John Higgins, Mark Selby or Mark Williams.

I've only heard John Higgins say good things about Ronnie. And MJW tweets about how Ronnie is the best and the one who puts bums in seats all the time

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:For what it's worth, I favour a Swiss Elimination format for Q School, rather than the lottery of knockout draws, and the expense of 3 events in succession

Great idea. Vast improvement. No reason why this couldn't be implemented in 2022.

Postby cupotee

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:In my opinion, the system already needs looking at.

For what it's worth, I favour a Swiss Elimination format for Q School, rather than the lottery of knockout draws, and the expense of 3 events in succession

But a problem is regardless of what format there is at the q school the pro’s trying to bounce straight back at the q school have the huge advantage of more competitive play in pro conditions and thus more familiarity with pro tables, i just went through a relatively lower ranked player ashley carty , according to my quick scan he played 27 matches regardless of format in the 20/21 pro season , those matches and this season would stand him in good stead for the 2022 q school ,kyren wilson played 115 !! , wst isn’t doing anything to bridge the gap for the vast majority of people who don’t have access to pro tables , playing on a high street club table in comparison is almost like a different sport.
The proof is in the pudding was it only dean young that qualified from this years q school who hadn’t played on tour before , its like the logans run movie , perish the thought you might be on the outside.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Raziel wrote:

Tell us about Willie!

Out of all the hundreds (maybe thousands) of people I met in snooker over the years, I only took a real dislike to two people. One was Ronnie O'Sullivan (succinctly described by DRAGONFLY earlier in this thread as a 'tit'.) If you want to know what Ronnie is like as a person, ask someone like John Higgins, Mark Selby or Mark Williams.

I've only heard John Higgins say good things about Ronnie. And MJW tweets about how Ronnie is the best and the one who puts bums in seats all the time

Don't know about John, but Mark Williams has great respect and admiration for Ronnie the player, but he thinks ronnie the person is a bit of a tit.