Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final Mark Selby v Shaun Murp

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet1 wrote:Sorry to break in to this surmising how many world titles each player will win. It is a ridiculous debate. It is 12 months to the next Crucible and players will obviously age another year by then. O'Sullivan, Higgins, and Williams will struggle to win another for this fact alone. And Selby, Trump, Murphy, Wilson, Robertson, Allen etc. all can't win. There is only one World Championship a year!

And reading these pages I have been led to believe that Ding Junhui is a certainty to win The World Championship. Just like Jimmy White was!

P.S.

Question: What did Luke Skywalker say in a different year at precisely this time on this day to Darth Vadar?

Answer: May the fourth be with you!!

:-D

Yeah buck us for having a conversation.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Selby will have to do what he did this year and breeze through some of the early rounds, if he’s to win another World Title as he gets older. If he’s grinding from the outside I don’t see him being able to sustain it.

And I think people are taking his desire for granted, too. This year in my opinion was a direct result of what happened last year - it’s far from certain he’ll maintain it in the future.

+1

He was on a mission this year, he didn't want to end his career having that bad Crucible memory. Now like you say the desire might be different.

I think he’s got a huge desire to catch Ronnie in the WC stakes and I’d say it’s about even money on him doing so. Be surprised if Ronnie won another at his age. In fact, I’d go as far to say I don’t think he’d have won last year if there had been crowds in. Ok, there was a part crowd in for the final but that was something of a no contest.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:Sorry to break in to this surmising how many world titles each player will win. It is a ridiculous debate. It is 12 months to the next Crucible and players will obviously age another year by then. O'Sullivan, Higgins, and Williams will struggle to win another for this fact alone. And Selby, Trump, Murphy, Wilson, Robertson, Allen etc. all can't win. There is only one World Championship a year!

And reading these pages I have been led to believe that Ding Junhui is a certainty to win The World Championship. Just like Jimmy White was!

P.S.

Question: What did Luke Skywalker say in a different year at precisely this time on this day to Darth Vadar?

Luke never said that, he said, "I will never join you", and then screamed "Noooooo", when Vader revealed who he really was, just like all the Selby haters did tonight. But they both agreed Robbo has this next year :)

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Selby will have to do what he did this year and breeze through some of the early rounds, if he’s to win another World Title as he gets older. If he’s grinding from the outside I don’t see him being able to sustain it.

And I think people are taking his desire for granted, too. This year in my opinion was a direct result of what happened last year - it’s far from certain he’ll maintain it in the future.

+1

He was on a mission this year, he didn't want to end his career having that bad Crucible memory. Now like you say the desire might be different.

Some said all that before his first in 2014 and a certain 6 times champion said Selby wouldnt be able to get over the defeat in 2020 semi final well all that been blown out of the water.

Hes well capable of winning it again but there's others too fact is for the next 12 months as fans return to venues everywhere Mark Selby is the Champion of the World.

wasent it great seeing hugging at the end it was free for all

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

+1

Some said all that before his first in 2014 and a certain 6 times champion said Selby wouldnt be able to get over the defeat in 2020 semi final well all that been blown out of the water.

Hes well capable of winning it again but there's others too fact is for the next 12 months as fans return to venues everywhere Mark Selby is the Champion of the World.

wasent it great seeing hugging at the end it was free for all

I found that a bit amusing... hugging everybody at the hand, shaking hands and all that...

Postby Iranu

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

+1

I think he’s got a huge desire to catch Ronnie in the WC stakes and I’d say it’s about even money on him doing so. Be surprised if Ronnie won another at his age. In fact, I’d go as far to say I don’t think he’d have won last year if there had been crowds in. Ok, there was a part crowd in for the final but that was something of a no contest.

It’s certainly possible but I don’t think as likely as even money. Took him four years to win a fourth; at the same rate he’d be 45 winning his sixth. He could win the next two of course but I don’t think he has that domination in him anymore. Could be wrong.

Postby vodkadiet1

Ck147 wrote:

P.S.

Luke never said that, he said, "I will never join you", and then screamed "Noooooo", when Vader revealed who he really was, just like all the Selby haters did tonight. But they both agreed Robbo has this next year :)

I never got in to this Sci-Fi stuff. I preferred the old black and white films or a decent Western!

I am losing faith in Robbo. Not because of his play, but his mind!

Postby badtemperedcyril

At the start of this championship it was difficult to choose from five: Ronnie, Judd, Selby, Robbo, Higgins.

Now, going forward, one would be tending to place Selby and Trump ahead of the rest. I think Father Time may finally be catching up on the CO92 and Robbo just doesn’t seem to be able to stay beyond the first week at the Crucible. Selby, 37, and Trump, 31, should have quite a few more titles left between the two of them.

Postby Andre147

From the Class of 92, I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't win another world title, Ronnie has the best chance.

And Robbo needs to sort out his Crucible problems once and for all, no more excuses like he can't walk into the shot properly due to the venue being small, etc. I don't see Robbo complaining when he breezes through the first 2 rounds, so why should the Quarters suddenly become a problem? He's far too good to have only one WC to his name, so like I said needs to sort out the venue. it might not be the best place to play with 2 tables, but hell, even MJW hates the Crucible with 2 tables and he's won it 3 times.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

P.S.

I never got in to this Sci-Fi stuff. I preferred the old black and white films or a decent Western!

I am losing faith in Robbo. Not because of his play, but his mind!

Like a good western too! Yeah, Robbo, what can I say, was 100% behind him to win, thought it was his year, but like everyone said, he'll fade as the WC progresses, which he did, again. I think you're right, he has the ability but not the mind, he's more suited to short course stuff.

Postby Ck147

Granite wrote:Hello guys happy to see Selby win a 4th WC. Anyone else think he can hold the most world titles now?

You know it, he has this :)

Postby TheRocket

Yesterday people had a debate whether even Trump would fail to beat Selby over 4 sessions. Now we've seen that a below par Murphy who kept breaking down on 30 and 40 still won 15 frames.

So what do you think an inform Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Yesterday people had a debate whether even Trump would fail to beat Selby over 4 sessions. Now we've seen that a below par Murphy who kept breaking down on 30 and 40 still won 15 frames.

So what do you think an inform Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

+1

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Yesterday people had a debate whether even Trump would fail to beat Selby over 4 sessions. Now we've seen that a below par Murphy who kept breaking down on 30 and 40 still won 15 frames.

+1

Postby Georgi1914

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

+1

It had to do more with the time off from professional snooker not being played during the first months of the pandemic. In my opinion, the Rocket benefited more from the Coronavirus related cancellations of events before the WC 2020 than the fact that there was no crowd until the final. Just like the big rest he took from snooker for the most part of the 2012-2013 season before the WC. Apparently he is a player for whom such breaks are very useful to clear his mind. And also we have Neil Robertson's opinion regarding the no crowd thing when it comes to Ronnie. And what he said after their last encounter at the Tour Championship was that a crowd would actually be more beneficial and inspiring for Ronnie than not. Crowds or no crowds, Ronnie was on a mission in 2020 at the Crucible and I 100% believe that he will lift the trophy again in the next 2-3 years.
Last edited by Georgi1914 on 04 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Postby badtemperedcyril

So what do you think an in form Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

All very well speculating what Judd may do inform. Being able to produce his best at the business end of the WC is going to be his biggest challenge. The fact remains, in 14 Crucible appearances he remains a one time world champion. A poor return for someone of such remarkable talent and who’s dominated the past three seasons in other events. As we saw in the UK final, he isn’t always as solid as a rock when the heats on. Can you see a prime Hendry, Higgins, Williams, O’Sullivan or Selby “fluffing” a TC winning chance like that?

Postby Wildey

We Dont Know all we Know is Selby is Racking up the numbers of World Championship and Trump cant get to a 1 table set up

Postby TheRocket

badtemperedcyril wrote:

So what do you think an in form Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

All very well speculating what Judd may do inform. Being able to produce his best at the business end of the WC is going to be his biggest challenge. The fact remains, in 14 Crucible appearances he remains a one time world champion. A poor return for someone of such remarkable talent and who’s dominated the past three seasons in other events. As we saw in the UK final, he isn’t always as solid as a rock when the heats on. Can you see a prime Hendry, Higgins, Williams, O’Sullivan or Selby “fluffing” a TC winning chance like that?

They all have though? Remember Hendrys missed black and Ronnie or Higgins lost matches from well in front. I agree however that Trumps record in the bigger events isnt good obviously.

But when it comes to H2H he seems to have the better of Selby. And quite comfortably actually looking at the scorelines.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

They all have though? Remember Hendrys missed black and Ronnie or Higgins lost matches from well in front. I agree however that Trumps record in the bigger events isnt good obviously.

But when it comes to H2H he seems to have the better of Selby. And quite comfortably actually looking at the scorelines.

Theres a lot of talk about Crucible Players Barry Hawkins, Kyren Wilson, and in the past Matthew Stevens but Mark Selby is the ultimate Crucible player im not sure how Judd would really handle Selby getting his teeth in to a long Crucible Match against him.

Postby TheRocket

I think Trumps power game would overcome Selbys spiderweb. He can do things that even Ronnie cant. But anyway. I only brought it up because people talked about it yesterday.

The fact they are number 1 and 2 now I really hope the meetings will come. Finals and WC matches that is. Its about time.

Postby Cloud Strife

badtemperedcyril wrote:Selby v Trump at the Crucible is surely a mouthwatering prospect we shall get to see in the fullness of time. Hopefully they are in opposite halves of the draw. Trump is bound to remain No.1, so it’s down to Selby to stay in the top 3.

Selby will be automatically seeded as number 1 next year, as champion. It is Trump who will need to stay in the top 3, which looks nailed on to be honest, so they should be in opposite halves of the draw next year.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:

We Dont Know all we Know is Selby is Racking up the numbers of World Championship and Trump cant get to a 1 table set up

Are you exaggerating a little there?

Selby's win was his first in four years. Since 2011, Selby (5: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021) has been to the one-table stage one time more than Trump (4: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2019), who is also significantly younger than him. There have only been two World Championships since Trump was last at the one-table stage, in 2019 (a tournament he won). Selby also went two years running without making the one-table stage in 2018 and 2019. It happens.

If you want to have a go at a player for not making the one-table stage despite being consistently among the best players in the world, Neil Robertson is your man at this point in time, not Judd Trump. Trump and Selby have been there six times combined since he last made it way back in 2014.