Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Saturday May 1st) Semi Final

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Just made reply to you, Andre. Don't know why you decided to delete your question and my reply to it?

I didn't. I edited it but instead of posting it erased it. :shrug:

What I asked was why do you think that? Forum has been more active than ever, I don't know where you coming from.

The forum being more active is a completely different thing and has no relevance to my point.

What I said in the deleted post was the following:

Baddy made a harmless joke earlier regarding Stuart Bingham. Fair game, as Pink Ball quite rightly put it. But you had to wade in and accuse him of something he didn't even say, it was a bit of stretch on your part. You even threatened him with a ban for it, which was ludicrously over the top IMO.

I get your point, but that's what it seemed to me, and those type of accusations can't have a place here. But fair game if he didn't mean anything bad by it, just a harmless joke.

Regarding Dan, he's pretty fair on most things, but as mods we can't allow stuff like racism, homphobia and the sort to have a place here.

And do you want to know something funny? Some of those jokes made by Johnny I didn't consider them to be overly offensive, but they would be suited to a dark humour Forum. This is a Snooker Forum, read by people all over the world (like me), and therefore as a moderator I can't allow what seem to be those type of jokes to have a place here. Sure, we can have banter and off topic snooker discussions, this happens everyday, but some things we cannot allow. But on a different environment, I wouldn't find those jokes offensive, that's my point.

SHUT UP AND LET THE WOMAN TALK!

Postby chengdufan

So I actually fell asleep shortly before the end of the match, when they were on the colours in the last frame. Didn't quite make it! It was 4am though...
I'll try to do better for the final.

I've just watached both interviews with the players and didn't see a problem with the comments from either. Bingham questioned the gamesmanship, Selby talked about the run of the balls, but they also both praised each other's performances.
I thought the comments were honest and open. No salt there as far as I could see.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ck147 wrote:Come off it Cloudy, most people would have thought the same after reading Baddie's post, it wasn't exactly subtle.

Yeah, true. Subtlety was never one of Baddie's strong points. Perhaps I gave him too much credit?

Postby chengdufan

Cloud Strife wrote:Fair enough, Andre. It's not a big deal, just something I've noticed recently.

Maybe using the term "anally retentive" was the wrong choice of words on this occasion, and for that I apologise.

I agree CS. A more 'stealthy' modding would be welcome imho. Rather than calling someone out after a comment and threatening a ban, or announcing on the thread that someone is banned, I suggest:
First inappropriate comment - general reminder of the rules sent in the thread.
Second - informal warning over pm
Third - 24 hour ban
Fourth - Longer ban
Fifth - permanent ban

You may skip some depending on the level of inappropriateness

Postby Cloud Strife

chengdufan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Fair enough, Andre. It's not a big deal, just something I've noticed recently.

Maybe using the term "anally retentive" was the wrong choice of words on this occasion, and for that I apologise.

I agree CS. A more 'stealthy' modding would be welcome imho. Rather than calling someone out after a comment and threatening a ban, or announcing on the thread that someone is banned, I suggest:
First inappropriate comment - general reminder of the rules sent in the thread.
Second - informal warning over pm
Third - 24 hour ban
Fourth - Longer ban
Fifth - permanent ban

You may skip some depending on the level of inappropriateness

This seems very fair, and I agree with it all, especially the stealth nodding. Public shaming very rarely works, and if anything does more to antagonise the offender in question.

Postby Dannyboy

Identical shot times granted, but is anyone seriously trying to justify a 28 second average over 32 frames is acceptable? I know the barrier typically is around 30 seconds for sanctions but were trying to inspire people to take up the sport, not put them off.

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:And we all know what Dan-cat can be like regarding certain things.

I'm so sorry it's not like the good ole' days for you Cloudy - as you have moaned to me on PM before - where you could be openly casually racist. The world has moved on, why cant you?

This is a global site. Not some little backroom Little Englander pub with your white mates.

Postby Dan-cat

chengdufan wrote:So I actually fell asleep shortly before the end of the match, when they were on the colours in the last frame. Didn't quite make it! It was 4am though...
I'll try to do better for the final.

I've just watached both interviews with the players and didn't see a problem with the comments from either. Bingham questioned the gamesmanship, Selby talked about the run of the balls, but they also both praised each other's performances.
I thought the comments were honest and open. No salt there as far as I could see.

No good at all. WE WANT SALT!

Postby hendry_fan

I did a CHENGDUFAN last night. :emb:

Mind you,the bottle of red i had was mostly to blame. Jeeez!,i feel kinda strange this morning,is that symptoms of what one calls a hangover. :chin: I,ll be havin a good few cuppas today to get rid o all o that strangeness outta my body. :-D

I did watache the final frame between Selby/Bingham on youtube this morning though.

Aye,it could,ve finished better,but lets not forget,snooker aint just about pottin balls,makin high breaks. :roll:

Look at Binghams incredible barrage of BIG breaks n heavy scoreing and he still ended up losing!.

Bingham made SIXTEEN 50+ Breaks.

Selby <only> managed NINE 50+ Breaks!.In the first 12 frames of the match,Selbs actualy only managed ONE 50+ Break!.

Verrry well done Mark!. :clap: :happy:

Hard luck to Sir Dan- :cat: in once again havin to open that wallet o his for good auld Hendry_fan!.

He now owes me,now lets have a look.Jeeez!,i,m runnin outta space on that bit o paper i wrote all his Debts on. <laugh>

He now owes me,......

3 Kebaps.

OH!,Hang on!,i almost forgot that he won 1 back off me,ok,fair enuff,but thats 2 Kebaps he still owes me!.

A BIG fry up.With all the trimmings,aye,that includes chips n eggs!.

And let me add 2 to the 6 Bean n Tattie Pies he aleady owes me.Now then,6+2=,hang bl**dy on again,let me get my wee calculator out,now then!,WOW!,so thats now 8 bean n tattie pies he owes me as well!.

:mental:

https://youtu.be/co6WMzDOh1o

Oh,n Hard luck to Mr Bingham too btw!. :-D

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:And we all know what Dan-cat can be like regarding certain things.

I'm so sorry it's not like the good ole' days for you Cloudy - as you have moaned to me on PM before - where you could be openly casually racist. The world has moved on, why cant you?

This is a global site. Not some little backroom Little Englander pub with your white mates.

Nothing to do with the borderline, extremely mild, casual racism. That's not what I was referring to.

One of the things I don't like is the match threads have become much stricter. In the past they were a place for chit chat and you were allowed to talk about whatever you wanted within reason. Basically, you were allowed to go wherever the conversation led you. That's been clamped down on, unfortunately.

I am also not a fan of your fastidious nature when it comes to early scores, banning of certain words, quote editing etc etc.

Anyway, I've said my piece, so let's drop it now please.

Postby Dan-cat

I take your feedback on board Cloudy. Re the general chit chat - there is no restriction on chat in the match threads, the only thing we try to curtail is excessive chat about other sports - current football games etc. And if it breaks out into a huge vegan debate or something... then yes that chat should move to another thread.

Re early/fake scores / quote editing - yeah, that's really annoying, and it's not jsut me. We only had to step in with new rules when it became a problem.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I take your feedback on board Cloudy. Re the general chit chat - there is no restriction on chat in the match threads, the only thing we try to curtail is excessive chat about other sports - current football games etc. And if it breaks out into a huge vegan debate or something... then yes that chat should move to another thread.

Re early/fake scores / quote editing - yeah, that's really annoying, and it's not jsut me. We only had to step in with new rules when it became a problem.

Bungke.