Topic locked

Re: Betfred World Championship (Fri April 23rd) Last 16!!!

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Imagine Ronnie losing last year's decider to Selby... that would have been way way way way way worse than today.

Yes we have every right to be gutted, but boy I'm so happy he didn't lose that decider against Selby.

The rest of Ronnie’s career should be a free ride.

Except I think he REALLY wants that 7th now.

He won't show it, because he wants to take pressure off himself.

But he badly wants a 7th I have no doubt in my mind. he was gutted today, you could see it.

Yep. He’s mentioned quite a lot recently being the most successful player ever. I think that’s a clue. And like you say his post-match interviews gave it away too.

And I’m starting to think he can win that 7th.

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Imagine Ronnie losing last year's decider to Selby... that would have been way way way way way worse than today.

Yes we have every right to be gutted, but boy I'm so happy he didn't lose that decider against Selby.

i think that's been the case for the last 2/3 seasons trying to get the balance of enjoying it and still being able to compete.

Postby Georgi1914

Acé wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Acé wrote:Ronnie battles more now cuz he HAS to, kind of has no choice because the game doesn't come easy as it once did when he was 20s or 30s, or even early 40s...

so he has to rely on his B game far more and he knows this

That's right.

Ronnie from 2001 wouldn't find himself losing 7 frames on the spin against the likes of McGill would he?

But that's life, you dont get any younger. Still very proud of what he's achieved, he may have a 7th world title left in him, maybe next year not being defending champ.

No of course not lol younger Ronnie would've trahsed the first session 6-2 or 7-1 after a 4-1 lead, he wasn't under any pressure then loses 9/10 frames after that

Funny enough ROS could do with a hard draw like last year to shape him up from the get go , in the last 7 years he's lost to players that he was favourite or heavy favourite against

2015 Bingham, 2016 Hawkins, 2017 Ding, 2018 Carter, 2019 Cahill, 2021 McGill

And then again you mention players he didn't have to lose to and he did as a younger player back then. It was always a weakness of Ronnie to let weaker players get under his skin for the big one after years of trashing them. It happens time after time again but it is usually followed by a convincingly winning of the title after a few big upsets. Ironically, with all the Crucible experince he has, he felt the pressure again after that in-off foul in the sixth frame against McGill. He was never losing that match from 5:1 up. It is definitely not an age thing. But his old habbit to feel the presssure at times against weaker opponents that he used to trash in the past. He was more than ready to face the big names this time, I reckon, but he wasn't ready to be fully pressure free against McGIill. Age is a factor, but not nearly as big as some people consider it to be.
Last edited by Georgi1914 on 24 Apr 2021, edited 6 times in total.

Postby Andre147

Hopefully next season Ronnie wins at least 1 title heading into Sheffield. It does make a difference you know... even last season, he won the Shanghai Masters.

Having won something you can have some sort of confidence. And I say it again, once the China tournaments return, he may win more of them, he speaks about them a lot.

Postby 1892

Aye, that would have been devastating after the two God like frames.

I will be honest I never thought ROS would get to 6 and had you told me at any point after the second session of that Selby match that he would win the WC, I would never have believed you.

I didn’t fancy him this year, I think when he has been written off by his doubters (and fans at times) is when he comes good

Postby Bluestraw

Such a shame that it came down to a bit of bad luck in the decider. The kick Ronnie got on that red took the pace out the while just enough to leave him awkward on the blue. Agree he messed up the next shot (was trying to get on that red to the right middle and got some unwanted side on the white), but without the kick he'd never have been in that situation!

Postby csprince

1892 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Acé wrote:Ronnie battles more now cuz he HAS to, kind of has no choice because the game doesn't come easy as it once did when he was 20s or 30s, or even early 40s...

Absolutely. It happens to all - I wonder how many good years Selby and Robbo have left. The clock is certainly ticking.

Makes you wonder who will be Judd’s competition in 5/6 years or so. Yan Bingtao, Wilson, Jack...not sure who else at this point

yuelong xintong

Postby Andre147

Bluestraw wrote:Such a shame that it came down to a bit of bad luck in the decider. The kick Ronnie got on that red took the pace out the while just enough to leave him awkward on the blue. Agree he messed up the next shot (was trying to get on that red to the right middle and got some unwanted side on the white), but without the kick he'd never have been in that situation!

Even play it to left middle, but he played a nothing shot on the blue, spent too much time thinking, Robbo Phytagoras mode activated there.

Postby Ck147

Acé wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Absolutely. It happens to all - I wonder how many good years Selby and Robbo have left. The clock is certainly ticking.

Selby's 37 now that was the age when Ronnie was between 2012-2013 and ROS racked up 2 world titles within that time, then he continued to win 1 TC event until this season + many other ranking tournaments and played to a good standard of snooker until 2019, I don't see Selby lasting that long or having near the same level of success (3 more world titles, 1 TC event every season etc)

Robertson is 39 now that was the age when ROS was between 2014-2015, again, same as above, don't see Robertson replicating the same level of success as ROS in his late 30s and early-mid 40s

so imo Selby's got another 4-5 years, Robertson 3

Interesting, each generation can go a bit further at a higher level due to better understanding of diet, fitness, sports psychology, etc (not just snooker, is happening in other sports too). Robbo this season has been pretty good, his green milk at MSI obviously works, can see him going more than 3 years at top level, same with Selby. I expect they will still be top 5 in 5 years time.

Postby vodkadiet1

Hendry's record is safe, There is no way O'Sulivan wins another world title now, Age is already catching up with him, as it does with everybody. It was a brave effort to catch Hendry's 7 world titles but tonight the chance vanished in to the dust.

Hendry > O'Sullivan

:party: :party: :party:

Postby csprince

Ck147 wrote:
Acé wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Selby's 37 now that was the age when Ronnie was between 2012-2013 and ROS racked up 2 world titles within that time, then he continued to win 1 TC event until this season + many other ranking tournaments and played to a good standard of snooker until 2019, I don't see Selby lasting that long or having near the same level of success (3 more world titles, 1 TC event every season etc)

Robertson is 39 now that was the age when ROS was between 2014-2015, again, same as above, don't see Robertson replicating the same level of success as ROS in his late 30s and early-mid 40s

Interesting, each generation can go a bit further at a higher level due to better understanding of diet, fitness, sports psychology, etc (not just snooker, is happening in other sports too). Robbo this season has been pretty good, his green milk at MSI obviously works, can see him going more than 3 years at top level, same with Selby. I expect they will still be top 5 in 5 years time.

just had a look at the top16 from five years ago only walden perry fu and gould have dropped out the other 12 are still in.

Postby Bluestraw

Andre147 wrote:
Bluestraw wrote:Such a shame that it came down to a bit of bad luck in the decider. The kick Ronnie got on that red took the pace out the while just enough to leave him awkward on the blue. Agree he messed up the next shot (was trying to get on that red to the right middle and got some unwanted side on the white), but without the kick he'd never have been in that situation!

Even play it to left middle, but he played a nothing shot on the blue, spent too much time thinking, Robbo Phytagoras mode activated there.

I wish the interviews asked him what he was trying to do on that positional shot and why... Also ask him why he changed his break-off after saying previously he'd never do that!

Postby Acé

Georgi1914 wrote:
Acé wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

That's right.

Ronnie from 2001 wouldn't find himself losing 7 frames on the spin against the likes of McGill would he?

But that's life, you dont get any younger. Still very proud of what he's achieved, he may have a 7th world title left in him, maybe next year not being defending champ.

No of course not lol younger Ronnie would've trahsed the first session 6-2 or 7-1 after a 4-1 lead, he wasn't under any pressure then loses 9/10 frames after that

Funny enough ROS could do with a hard draw like last year to shape him up from the get go , in the last 7 years he's lost to players that he was favourite or heavy favourite against

2015 Bingham, 2016 Hawkins, 2017 Ding, 2018 Carter, 2019 Cahill, 2021 McGill

And then again you mention players he didn't have to lose to and he did as a younger player back then. It was always a weakness of Ronnie to let weaker players to get under his skin for the big one after years of trashing them. It happens time after time again but it is usually followed by a convincingly winning of the title after a few big upsets. Ironically, with all the Crucible experince he has, he felt the pressure again after that in-off foul in the sixth frame against McGill. He was never losing that match from 5:1 up. It is defintely not an age thing. But his old habit to feel the presssure at times against weaker opponents that he used to trash in the past. He was more than ready to face the big names this time, I reckon, but he wasn't ready to be fully pressure free against McGIill. Age is a factor, but not nearly as big as some people consider it to be.

Like? Bring out the stats

here I'll do it:

2002 - Hendry
2003 - Fu
2005 - Ebdon
2006 - Dott
2007 - Higgins
2009 - Allen
2010 - Selby
2011 - Higgins

Those opponents are tougher than the ones he lost 2015+ at the Crucible it's not even close dude and none of those guys he used to trash either or be heavy favourite against

he used to trash guys like Bingham, Hawkins, Carter etc so my point still stands which is obvious, he's lost to players that he has a great H2H against or is favourite/heavy favourite against

and this trend only started from 2015
Last edited by Acé on 24 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Georgi1914

vodkadiet1 wrote:Hendry's record is safe, There is no way O'Sulivan wins another world title now, Age is already catching up with him, as it does with everybody. It was a brave effort to catch Hendry's 7 world titles but tonight the chance vanished in to the dust.

Hendry > O'Sullivan

Do you have a small peacock?

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:

i think that's been the case for the last 2/3 seasons trying to get the balance of enjoying it and still being able to compete.

I think he had that balance until he got the sixth. Then the seventh became a potential reality.

Postby Acé

Ck147 wrote:
Acé wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I am comparing them to ROS is ROS is the benchmark for longevity (also meaningful longevity where you're winning big titles)

they'll be top 5 players but the other dude asked me how many good years they have left, those good years I was comparing age by age to ROS's good years

Postby Iranu

I think what we need to remember is that every player, including top players, loses to players they shouldn’t.

The difference is Ronnie’s the only one who’s been good enough to build up such a strong record against so many good players.

Postby Andre147

https://wst.tv/mcgill-stuns-champ-osullivan/

“There’s no reason why I can’t win it again, but I have long gone past playing snooker for a living. I am a bit like Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus in golf, they are still a presence because of what they have achieved.

“If I said goodbye to the Crucible and to playing I would be saying goodbye to a lot of good things that are happening in snooker for me, and I don’t really want to do that. It’s better for me to play because my sponsors get excited when I get my cue out of the case.”

And from this you can tell he believes he can win another, also said needs to keeps working with Steve Peters to help him focus on the main job at hand. He'll definately have a good shot at winning another world title I do believe.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

He won't show it, because he wants to take pressure off himself.

But he badly wants a 7th I have no doubt in my mind. he was gutted today, you could see it.

Yep. He’s mentioned quite a lot recently being the most successful player ever. I think that’s a clue. And like you say his post-match interviews gave it away too.

And I’m starting to think he can win that 7th.

Yeah, agree, that interview gave away how much he wants a 7th. But I'm not sure he can win a 7th though, would love to see him do it, but just don't think it's going to happen, too much good competition at the moment.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:I think what we need to remember is that every player, including top players, loses to players they shouldn’t.

The difference is Ronnie’s the only one who’s been good enough to build up such a strong record against so many good players.

You actually make a good point. ROS is bacisally the only player who holds a strong h2h record against many players.

Laws of averages say they will have a win against him. A bit sad it has to come at the Cruce, but that's bucking life.

Postby vodkadiet1

Georgi1914 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Hendry's record is safe, There is no way O'Sulivan wins another world title now, Age is already catching up with him, as it does with everybody. It was a brave effort to catch Hendry's 7 world titles but tonight the chance vanished in to the dust.

Hendry > O'Sullivan

Do you have a small peacock?

No. I haven't got a garden. I also don't think they should be kept as pets.

Are you still drinking?

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:I think what we need to remember is that every player, including top players, loses to players they shouldn’t.

This is precisely why Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time. If emotions came into it, I'd prefer Hendry to take it, but emotions cannot come into it. O'Sullivan's record stands up better than anyone else's.

But buck him, he's out this year, and I'm happy he's gone.

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I think he had that balance until he got the sixth. Then the seventh became a potential reality.

i'm not convinced he's desperate for a seventh world title if you told him at the start of his career he'd win six world titles plus everything else he's won i think he would take that i think some people are hung up on title no7 because of hendry (not a dig at you)

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:https://wst.tv/mcgill-stuns-champ-osullivan/

“There’s no reason why I can’t win it again, but I have long gone past playing snooker for a living. I am a bit like Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus in golf, they are still a presence because of what they have achieved.

“If I said goodbye to the Crucible and to playing I would be saying goodbye to a lot of good things that are happening in snooker for me, and I don’t really want to do that. It’s better for me to play because my sponsors get excited when I get my cue out of the case.”

And from this you can tell he believes he can win another, also said needs to keeps working with Steve Peters to help him focus on the main job at hand. He'll definately have a good shot at winning another world title I do believe.

My gut says he'll stay on six, but I won't swear to that at this point. O'Sullivan has burned my fingers quite too many times over the course of his career for me to write him off just yet.

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:

This is precisely why Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time. If emotions came into it, I'd prefer Hendry to take it, but emotions cannot come into it. O'Sullivan's record stands up better than anyone else's.

Hendry's record is better where it counts the most. Hendry > O'Sullivan.

Postby csprince

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ace are you feeling confident about Judds chances this year? I'm just taking it one game at a time at the moment and not getting carried away. Really hope he can do it this year though.

i'd like to see trump or robertson win but someone like bingtao would be cool.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry's record is better where it counts the most. Hendry > O'Sullivan.

I cannot argue with he who chooses to let his emotions rule over logic.