Post a reply

BBC4

Postby asustitan

Is this what it has come to. Again another year we have Hairy Bikers on BBC2 whilst Snooker is on BBC4.

They make it easier and easier to hate the BBC. Awful organisation.

Re: BBC4

Postby Dan-cat

Yes, the awful organisation that's supported our back room pub game for years with hours and hours of coverage.

Postby Iranu

It’s still free-to-air, and an extra hour (sometimes two!) compared to when it was on BBC 2.

Postby cupotee

they devalue their coverage a little imo by having rob walker the compere as a commentator , just bring in someone like ian mcculloch in the commentating team , he presented snooker in the high street bookies a while ago it would be a breeze for him , unless he'd rock their boat i don't know

Postby 1892

I always pick Eurosport* me, even when the BBC do show it on BBC1 they won’t show the full session and interrupt it for some boring marmite programme so you have to switch over or put it on the iPlayer.

*Unless Studd is commentating. Would rather watch it on Bet365 with no commentary.

Postby Wildey

asustitan wrote:Is this what it has come to. Again another year we have Hairy Bikers on BBC2 whilst Snooker is on BBC4.

BBC Snooker Coverage has never been as good as it is now.

it is important to remember they give us 7 hours daily on BBC 2 that's equivalent to 2 football matches with plenty of build up.

When did the BBC show 14 football matches a week?

yea they not perfect commentating needs improvement but i honestly cant complain about the hours they give snooker on Terrestrial TV about 120 hours on BBC and about 30 hours on BBC 4 during the 17 days.

Postby HappyCamper

can anyone who has bbc2 not get bbc4 these days. it's on freeview and all basic cable/satellite, no.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, who cares whether it's BBC 2 or BBC 4? It's all freeview.

It's not like the old days where you'd need a freeview box plugged into your telly, and some people still only had five channels.

If you own a TV, you get BBC4. So what does matter?

Postby Dan-cat

Wildey wrote:
asustitan wrote:Is this what it has come to. Again another year we have Hairy Bikers on BBC2 whilst Snooker is on BBC4.

BBC Snooker Coverage has never been as good as it is now.

it is important to remember they give us 7 hours daily on BBC 2 that's equivalent to 2 football matches with plenty of build up.

When did the BBC show 14 football matches a week?

yea they not perfect commentating needs improvement but i honestly cant complain about the hours they give snooker on Terrestrial TV about 120 hours on BBC and about 30 hours on BBC 4 during the 17 days.

On the nail Wildey.

Postby SnookerEd25

All ITV snooker is on ITV4; when did they last show any on their main channel? 1997? :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:All ITV snooker is on ITV4; when did they last show any on their main channel? 1997? :chin:

chameleons.

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:All ITV snooker is on ITV4; when did they last show any on their main channel? 1997? :chin:

Of the top of my head, I’d say the Charity Challenge. Think the British Open had already moved to Sky; both the Metcantile and World Matchplay had been scrapped.

Postby Juddernaut88

We want the British Open back!

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:We want the British Open back!

Was that the one that used to be in Brighton?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:

I have no idea to be honest but the last one was in 2004.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

Originally in Derby, in the beautifully Brutalist Assembly Rooms but may have moved by the time of it’s last appearance.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Originally in Derby, in the beautifully Brutalist Assembly Rooms but may have moved by the time of it’s last appearance.

Actually, off the top of my head, I think after it moved to Sky, it moved to Plymouth Pavilions.

I’ll check.

Postby boris_the_butcher

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, who cares whether it's BBC 2 or BBC 4? It's all freeview.

It's not like the old days where you'd need a freeview box plugged into your telly, and some people still only had five channels.

I they want the game to grow and bring in viewers, putting it on the same channel that once aired a documentary of the history of the toilet is a bad move.

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerFan wrote:

The last couple were in Brighton. I always associate the British Open with the Derby Assembly Rooms but they also had a few instalments of it at Plymouth Pavilions. It was a great tournament but they buggered it up, moved it from its usual spot in March to the start of the season. Shame really.

Postby SnookerEd25

1980 started as the British Gold Cup, in Derby. After a few years as the Yamaha International Trophy, then Masters, it became the British Open, and a Ranking Event in 1985 (still in Derby).

For a few years, the unique formula used at the event was an FA Cup style draw, with names drawn out of a hat on the main table after the last match had been completed in the previous round.

ITV dropped their coverage after the 1993 event, and it moved to Plymouth Pavilions in 1994 with no TV coverage at all of that year’s tournament.

Sky picked up the coverage baton the following year and the event remained in Plymouth until 2001 when it moved to the Telewest Arena in Newcastle for one season.

In 2002 it moved to the International Arena in Telford for one season, then (as SF correctly surmised) the Brighton Centre for the last two years of its life. It was discontinued after Sky dropped their coverage after the 2004 event.

Postby McManusFan

Wild was spot on there. It should also be noted that their online coverage is brilliant! The only table choice available outside of the Eurosport player, catch up, and a decent highlights programme too.

They also seem to be doing less mucking about when there is live snooker on compared to the past.

Postby Juddernaut88

Sky didn't show much snooker after the British open, certainly no ranking events anyway. They shown the premier league and the shoot out for first few years it was out but nothing ever since which is disappointing.

Postby Iranu

boris_the_butcher wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, who cares whether it's BBC 2 or BBC 4? It's all freeview.

I they want the game to grow and bring in viewers, putting it on the same channel that once aired a documentary of the history of the toilet is a bad move.

In a way this is actually a fair point.

Some kids will avoid BBC4 because of its reputation, whether they’d enjoy what’s on it or not.

Postby mick745

Full coverage provided of both tables in full either live on bbc or on the bbc website.

We have to admit that although we love the sport the general public at large dont always share our enthusiasm. So the beeb do a good job considering it is a minority sport.

But the viewing figures still hold up quite well.

Postby asustitan

They can't event keep the coverage on BBC4 either.

As someone else said. With BBC2 you get the new audience exposure.

Postby Cloud Strife

badtemperedcyril wrote:

Of the top of my head, I’d say the Charity Challenge. Think the British Open had already moved to Sky; both the Metcantile and World Matchplay had been scrapped.

Didn't they show a couple of their CoC evening session matches on ITV1 a few years ago? Might be misremembering though.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

Didn't they show a couple of their CoC evening session matches on ITV1 a few years ago? Might be misremembering though.

I don't remember that.

Postby cupotee

The 2009 grand prix at the kelvin hall in glasgow was on itv1 , i remember it for o sullivan's alternate left hand right hand break vs john higgins

Postby GJ

It was on BBC

Postby Alex0paul

Mrs
Will ya
Make me tea
Make love to me
Put on the telly
To the BBC
To the BBC yeah yeah yeah