Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Saturday April 17th) Last 32

Postby Reg Varney

Excellent stuff from Ronnie in the end, doing what only really he can, turning what was a nothing/well below average performance around and then finishing with three centuries.

Nice to see Radzi not dressing like a kid's TV presenter this year. Thought he was fine on the BBC4 coverage. Reanne is painful to listen to though, not the most expansive of vocabularies, struggles to get her words out and never has anything of real value or substance to add. I get they're trying to break up the all-male "old boys" club that the Beeb's coverage is though, so we're likely stuck with her for the forseeable.

Postby SnookerFan

I think partly her accent doesn't help. It's quite strong.

I would never tell her to remove her accent, it's part of who she is and where she's from. I actually like people who have stromg accents.

But I guess some viewers will find it takes time to get used to.

Also, she still seems a bit nervous. Hopefully that changes with experience.

Postby Reg Varney

SnookerFan wrote:I think partly her accent doesn't help. It's quite strong.

I would never tell her to remove her accent, it's part of who she is and where she's from. I actually like people who have stromg accents.

I'm actually West Midlands based myself so the accent isn't an issue for me.

If she was new or this was her first gig I could fully understand the nerves, but she's got a couple years experience with Eurosport under her belt so she's not exactly a novice at this point.

Postby SnookerEd25

Reg Varney wrote:Reanne is painful to listen to though, not the most expansive of vocabularies, struggles to get her words out and never has anything of real value or substance to add.

I could say the same about John Parrott, to be fair; if we want to analyse what’s wrong with BBC coverage - how long have we got?

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:Reanne is painful to listen to though, not the most expansive of vocabularies, struggles to get her words out and never has anything of real value or substance to add.

I could say the same about John Parrott, to be fair; if we want to analyse what’s wrong with BBC coverage - how long have we got?

At least John isn’t terrified to speak

Postby SnookerFan

Reg Varney wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I think partly her accent doesn't help. It's quite strong.

I'm actually West Midlands based myself so the accent isn't an issue for me.

If she was new or this was her first gig I could fully understand the nerves, but she's got a couple years experience with Eurosport under her belt so she's not exactly a novice at this point.

Most of my family live up near Birmingham too, so I'm not unused to it either. Just know that it's something that some people don't like in commentators, too strong an accent.

Postby Iranu

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

If only

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

If only

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Malagueño wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Sat in an empty coach station waiting to leave

That sounds like a Simon and Garfunkel song waiting to start.

He is just a rich boy and his story's often told

That's The Boxer you're paraphrasing, right?

Postby chengdufan

Malagueño wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Sat in an empty coach station waiting to leave

That sounds like a Simon and Garfunkel song waiting to start.

Malagueno is back! One of my favourite islanders :happy: