Post a reply

Re: The Crucible Countdown !!!

Postby SnookerFan

Thursday 15 Apr 2021 03:24PM
Matches will be paused at the Betfred World Championship on Saturday for a minute’s silence to honour Prince Philip, who died last week at the age of 99.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral takes place on Saturday at Windsor Castle, with the service starting at 3.00pm.

At the same time, both matches will be paused on the opening day at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield. Players, referees and fans will observe the minute’s silence in the arena. The four players and two referees will wear black armbands.

A spokesman for WST said: “This will be the first time in the 94-year history of the Championship that we have paused matches in order to honour the Royal Family and a country that is in mourning. The session will start at 2.30pm as planned and then just before 3pm the matches will be paused. This event is broadcast to over 100 countries around the globe so people watching worldwide can pay their respects to Prince Philip at the same time.”

https://wst.tv/minutes-silence-to-honou ... edinburgh/

Postby TheRocket

simple illustration of scars or being scarred

Davis: UK final 1983, World final 1985
Hendry: Masters final 1994, 1998, World final 2002
ROS: Masters final 1997,2004,2006,2010 , World final 2014
Higgins: WC semi 2000 and WC final 2017
Jimmy: World final 1992,1994
Trump: World final 2011, UK final 2020

They are the kind of defeats that will live with you forever. It didnt stop them to have the great careers they have. And thats what you have to do. Cope with them. But the scars are part of you career and they are getting more the older you get. The WC semi loss for Selby was his worst scar. He didnt have many prior to that.
Last edited by TheRocket on 16 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

As somebody who wanted neither Ronnie or Selby to win last year's Semi, I hope we get a decent amount footage of Kyren's final frame win in this Eurosport documentary. I'd rather relive that, then listening to two people discuss whether Ronnie was playing the right shot or not. If I wanted needle, I'd watch Jeremy Kyle. I want to relive the drama.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:As somebody who wanted neither Ronnie or Selby to win last year's Semi, I hope we get a decent amount footage of Kyren's final frame win in this Eurosport documentary. I'd rather relive that, then listening to two people discuss whether Ronnie was playing the right shot or not. If I wanted needle, I'd watch Jeremy Kyle. I want to relive the drama.

I’m sure it’ll be an even split. Eurosport know better than to just focus on one match, and I think the overall consensus is that the end of Kyren-McGill was more dramatic than the end of Ronnie-Selby.

Postby mick745

TheRocket wrote:simple illustration of scars or being scarred

They are the kind of defeats that will live with you forever. It didnt stop them to have the great careers they have. And thats what you have to do. Cope with them. But the scars are part of you career and they are getting more the older you get. The WC semi loss for Selby was his worst scar. He didnt have many prior to that.

Also Hendry missing that respotted black v williams in the masters final and the decider against ebdon in 2002.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Thursday 15 Apr 2021 03:24PM
Matches will be paused at the Betfred World Championship on Saturday for a minute’s silence to honour Prince Philip, who died last week at the age of 99.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral takes place on Saturday at Windsor Castle, with the service starting at 3.00pm.

At the same time, both matches will be paused on the opening day at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield. Players, referees and fans will observe the minute’s silence in the arena. The four players and two referees will wear black armbands.

A spokesman for WST said: “This will be the first time in the 94-year history of the Championship that we have paused matches in order to honour the Royal Family and a country that is in mourning. The session will start at 2.30pm as planned and then just before 3pm the matches will be paused. This event is broadcast to over 100 countries around the globe so people watching worldwide can pay their respects to Prince Philip at the same time.”

I shall be interpreting the black armbands as a mark of respect for all those who have left us from the snooker world during the last 12 months, a list headed by Doug Mountjoy and Willie Thorne of course, two of the giants of my youth.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:that is totally different thing to being scarred by it.

and beside he was asked a question and he answered it honestly what was he suppose to say NEXT QUESTION or MOVE ON.

The thing is though Wild, we’re 8 months on now. Saying those things at the time was one thing - okay it made him look like a bit of a sore loser, but lots of great champions are sore losers. Nothing that wrong with that, in isolation.

But throughout the season he continued to make digs at Ronnie, and now in this documentary he’s still making the same silly claims of disrespect that he made 8 months ago.

And we all know that if Selby had won he wouldn’t have been talking about disrespect because obviously while it was happening he thought it was a symptom that he had broken Ronnie. But then Ronnie won.

It’s 8 months later - you’d expect Selby to be able to discuss it with a bit more grace/perspective by now.

HOWEVER we’ve obviously only seen a 2 minute clip that’s supposed to be provocative. Who knows what else he says.

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Thursday 15 Apr 2021 03:24PM

I shall be interpreting the black armbands as a mark of respect for all those who have left us from the snooker world during the last 12 months, a list headed by Doug Mountjoy and Willie Thorne of course, two of the giants of my youth.

I like that :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:As somebody who wanted neither Ronnie or Selby to win last year's Semi, I hope we get a decent amount footage of Kyren's final frame win in this Eurosport documentary. I'd rather relive that, then listening to two people discuss whether Ronnie was playing the right shot or not. If I wanted needle, I'd watch Jeremy Kyle. I want to relive the drama.

I’m sure it’ll be an even split. Eurosport know better than to just focus on one match, and I think the overall consensus is that the end of Kyren-McGill was more dramatic than the end of Ronnie-Selby.

You're probably right.

Though Selby vs Ronnie was plenty dramatic, at the time I think I wanted literally anybody else in the tournament to reach the final rather than those two. So wasn't as fussed.

And also, it had a hard match to follow. Had it followed any other match, it would've probably been the most exciting match of the day.

Postby Iranu

Hendon confirms the Eurosport team:

Studio: Colin Murray, Jimmy White, Neal Foulds

Lead commentators: Dave Hendon, Philip Studd, Phil Yates

Player commentators: Joe Johnson, Dominic Dale, Anthony Hamilton(!)

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:Hendon confirms the Eurosport team:

apart from Studd a decent squad.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote: he was asked a question and he answered it honestly what was he suppose to say NEXT QUESTION or MOVE ON.

No, he could have said that Ronnie won because of his brilliant play in those last 3 frames. He could have said that he lost because he could not clear up when he had the chance. He could have said he lost the tactical battle. Instead, he said Ronnie disrespected the game and played the wrong shots and was lucky. That's because he's still feeling butthurt, he still can't admit he lost because he could not beat Ronnie. He can't admit that he thought he had Ronnie, but that he was wrong and Ronnie outsmarted him. He's salty.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Hendon confirms the Eurosport team:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

David Hendon @davehendon
Of the current top 16 only three - Mark Williams, Mark Allen and Anthony McGill - won on their Crucible debuts.
This year’s two debutants are Mark Joyce and Sam Craigie.

Postby Juddernaut88

You can probably also add the 2003 UK championship final on that for Hendry as well. The moment he lost that final deep down I knew that he wouldn't win another triple crown event again.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:

You can probably also add the 2003 UK championship final on that for Hendry as well. The moment he lost that final deep down I knew that he wouldn't win another triple crown event again.

yes the 2003 UK final was also a big moment. And there are actually probably more because Hendry was a real winner and even a few bang average ranking tournament losses must have really hurt and affected him.

There is no doubt though that the 2002 World final was by far his most painful defeat. And truly a nasty scar was inflicted on him.

Postby Jester82

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote: he was asked a question and he answered it honestly what was he suppose to say NEXT QUESTION or MOVE ON.

No, he could have said that Ronnie won because of his brilliant play in those last 3 frames. He could have said that he lost because he could not clear up when he had the chance. He could have said he lost the tactical battle. Instead, he said Ronnie disrespected the game and played the wrong shots and was lucky. That's because he's still feeling butthurt, he still can't admit he lost because he could not beat Ronnie. He can't admit that he thought he had Ronnie, but that he was wrong and Ronnie outsmarted him. He's salty.

He didn't outsmart him, Selby could have had the necessary lead to win the semis. Not clearing up is not the same thing as outsmarting sb.
At one point ROS stood in his sight, nevertheless as I said back then, Selby had a good tourney but lost deservedly.
Hopefully this year he reaches at least the semis, has another shot.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Jester82 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

He didn't outsmart him, Selby could have had the necessary lead to win the semis. Not clearing up is not the same thing as outsmarting sb.
At one point ROS stood in his sight, nevertheless as I said back then, Selby had a good tourney but lost deservedly.

He did outsmart him. Get the salt out of your eyes.

Postby Jester82

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Jester82 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

He did outsmart him. Get the salt out of your eyes.

Keep believing it, sunshine
it remains nonsense what you said.

Postby Iranu

Ronnie didn’t outsmart Selby. He outplayed him.

He didn’t try to outsmart him. Selby tried to outsmart Ronnie and failed.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I have warmed to Murray.

I now prefer him to Goldstein.

Hot take <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I've stopped caring about The Crucible. Who will win Snooker Island's Most Influental Poster?

You.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:I've stopped caring about The Crucible. Who will win Snooker Island's Most Influental Poster?

Shall we do a poll?

Postby Andre147

Stephen Maguire is the player I've seen who most plays the hit and hope shot, and not for one second I thought he was being disrespectful to his opponent.

It's just a player's way of gettting out a very difficult snooker, or just doing it in anger and hoping for the best outcome. But the hit and hope shot has low percentage of actually working, so the one who does it most of the times isnt doing himself any favours.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:Ronnie didn’t outsmart Selby. He outplayed him.

He didn’t try to outsmart him. Selby tried to outsmart Ronnie and failed.

If Selby tried to outsmart Ronnie but failed, then Ronnie outsmarted him. Ronnie made Selby think he had given up. He made Selby think he was not going to try anymore. Selby felt this and did his fist pump. Little did he know Ronnie was saving the best for last and was going to step it up.