Post a reply

Re: Race to the Crucible: Judgement Days (April 13th~14th)

Postby stanley_

Very disappointing set of results for the Chinese players today/yesterday. Only 1/6 wins (Tian Pengfei) other than the all-Chinese clashes.

I also think it would be far better handing out wildcards to the likes of Bai Langning and other young prospects than Jimmy White who will be 59 next month.

Postby 1892

SnookerFan wrote:
1892 wrote:Two Geordies at the Crucible!

What rounds did they get tickets for?

I got tickets for the second round but hopefully Wilson and Craigie book tickets for the final!

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Why can’t they just do the bloody draw tonight

Wouldn't make sense. Imagine play ended close or past midnight, how silly would it be making the draw then.

Don't have a problem with it being tomorrow morning. What I have a problem with is how WST somehow manages to cockerel it up every year, there's always something...

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:

Wouldn't make sense. Imagine play ended close or past midnight, how silly would it be making the draw then.

Don't have a problem with it being tomorrow morning. What I have a problem with is how WST somehow manages to cockerel it up every year, there's always something...

And to think The Crucible main draw for 1993 was known in September 1992! Danny Fowler must have had nightmares for 7 months!

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

And to think The Crucible main draw for 1993 was known in September 1992! Danny Fowler must have had nightmares for 7 months!

I know, that's even more ridiculous. At most, have the qualifers a month before the Worlds, not 7 months off!

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I know, that's even more ridiculous. At most, have the qualifers a month before the Worlds, not 7 months off!

The scheduling was a joke in those days. Some of the qualifiers that year were awful. I think one player won about 10 or 11 matches to qualify.

Postby PLtheRef

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

The scheduling was a joke in those days. Some of the qualifiers that year were awful. I think one player won about 10 or 11 matches to qualify.

I think Ronnie won ten matches back in September 1992 to qualify for the 1993 World Championship. There were three in the draw that year who won at least 10 matches to qualify. In the case of Spencer Dunn it was the sole venue he would qualify for in his entire career.

The fact that the qualifiers were played back in September showed in the 1993 event. Eight of the 16 qualifiers were making their Crucible debuts and of those eight, just three of them - Ronnie O'Sullivan, Joe Swail and Brian Morgan ever made it back to the Crucible. Add on to that, seven of the First Round Matches were won by a scoreline between 10-1 and 10-4 and whilst there was one decider (compared to 1995 when there were none), only three other matches went to the penultimate frame - all being won 13-11.

All that said, is it a surprise that 1993 was the last time all one-table set-up matches were complete without a loser reaching double figures.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:Spencer Dunn only reached one venue stage? The Crucible, of all places?

So when Ronnie qualified in September, he wasn't even 17! Quite amazing.

Yes - I think O'Sullivan is the youngest qualifier, but he is eclipsed by Brecel, Yan and Hendry as the youngest players to play at the Crucible

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

To add on to this, I believe that for a time during the mid-1980s to mid-1990s the draw was a complete one i.e. it was known that the qualifier from the first section would play the number 1 seed, the second section play the number 16 seed and so on down to the 16th section playing the number 2 seed; so the players in Danny Fowler's section would have known they would be up against Hendry if they reached the Crucible.