Post a reply

Re: Race to the Crucible: Judgement Days (April 13th~14th)

Postby The_Abbott

Mark Davis (12th appearance) Debut 1994 :hatoff:
Liang Wenbo (8th appearance) Debut 2008 <ok>
Jamie Jones (4th appearance) Debut 2012 <cool>
Matthew Selt (3rd appearance) Debut 2013 :no: :td:
Kurt Maflin (3rd appearance) Debut 2015 :spot on:
Liam Highfield (2nd appearance) Debut 2018 :D
Lyu Haotian (2nd appearance) Debut 2018 :mosh:
Tian Pengfei (2nd appearance) Debut 2019 :-D

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Think I'm most disappointed with Zhou not getting through.Didn't look at his best of what i saw but well done to Highfield

Yes he was probably aggrieved at being ranked 17 (missing the WC 2020 cost him), so put himself under too much pressure. The lesson for him is to get into the top-16 and stay there!

Postby Andre147

I didn't see it mentioned here, and even myself only just thought about it...

But it would have made a LOT more sense having all 16 matches concluded tomorrow, and thus making it a true judgement day, instead of 2.

Players could have a day's rest, and not only a couple of hours, plus like I said it would indeed be a true day for all decisions. The only problem for this is the 11am matches could overrun the matches starting at 5pm, and therefore some matches might have had to start late. But this could easily be avoided if the morning session began at 10am and the evening session at 6pm or even 7pm.

The emotions and excitment are all still there of course with the current format, but I guess it would make more sense a true judgement day.

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:Could be quite a few early finishes.

My cue wine might end up just being wine.

I set my alarm for 4am, expecting to get up and watch the tense end of a couple of matches.
They had all already finished :-(

Postby gallantrabbit

Hope Sam Craigie makes it through today. Impressive win last round.
Backing Igor too now he's got his teeth into the event. Pretty impressive so far, especially his closes and considering his lack of big time match experience compared to the others.

Postby SnookerFan

GeF wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Well, it's Judgement Day. Again.

I'm a fan of this movie. Can't say if it's for Bill Murray, the Groundhog or Andie McDowell ...

Have you seen Happy Death Day with Jessica Rothe? Similar themes, but she has to solve her own murder.

Postby GeF

SnookerFan wrote:
GeF wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Well, it's Judgement Day. Again.

I'm a fan of this movie. Can't say if it's for Bill Murray, the Groundhog or Andie McDowell ...

Have you seen Happy Death Day with Jessica Rothe? Similar themes, but she has to solve her own murder.

No.

In France the title is "Happy Birthdead".
and "Groundhog day" is called "Un jour sans fin" which means "Never-ending day".

Postby LDS

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Think I'm most disappointed with Zhou not getting through.Didn't look at his best of what i saw but well done to Highfield

Yes he was probably aggrieved at being ranked 17 (missing the WC 2020 cost him), so put himself under too much pressure. The lesson for him is to get into the top-16 and stay there!

To be fair he hasn't had that great a season anyway.

He was my one to watache this season & what I saw was:

Top 10 players beaten this season (excluding shoot-out and leagues):

1. John Higgins (during the 1st half of the season when Higgins was very out of form)
2. Jack Lisowski
3. David Gilbert
4. Jordan Brown
5. Alexander Usrenbacher (who also beat him once)
6. Anthony Hamilton
7. Andrew Higginson
8. Cen Bingyu
9. Chris Wakelin
10. Jack Jones

He's only ranked so high because of his relative consistency in flat-track bullying lower ranked players in the first few rounds of regular events and his run to the semis of the UK (where he beat Higgins and Lisowski).

The entire rest of his season bar leagues and shoot-out has been a case of falling down like a cheap tent as soon as he plays anyone even remotely challenging. Going out in the first round of both the WGP and the PC was the big nail in his coffin and showed that his top 16 credentials wont be lasting that long anyway if he doesn't improve quickly & that it was unlikely he would endanger anyone at the crucible.

Not being mean for the sake of being mean, as I said, he was my one to watch this season & all I saw was anti-climaxes.

I think he suffers from nerves. Not suffer as in it being a crippling condition, I just think it's the usual snooker vertigo that will always effect some players. He's still relatively young and I still think he'll win a prestigious tournament at some point, but at this point in time I think lots of experience and aging is the only thing that'll help propel him further and help him hold back the vertigo a bit. Maybe someone who'll shine more in their mid to late 20s - which is much more common.

Postby SteveJJ

LDS wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

To be fair he hasn't had that great a season anyway.

He was my one to watache this season & what I saw was:

Top 10 players beaten this season (excluding shoot-out and leagues):

1. John Higgins (during the 1st half of the season when Higgins was very out of form)
2. Jack Lisowski
3. David Gilbert
4. Jordan Brown
5. Alexander Usrenbacher (who also beat him once)
6. Anthony Hamilton
7. Andrew Higginson
8. Cen Bingyu
9. Chris Wakelin
10. Jack Jones

He's only ranked so high because of his relative consistency in flat-track bullying lower ranked players in the first few rounds of regular events and his run to the semis of the UK (where he beat Higgins and Lisowski).

The entire rest of his season bar leagues and shoot-out has been a case of falling down like a cheap tent as soon as he plays anyone even remotely challenging. Going out in the first round of both the WGP and the PC was the big nail in his coffin and showed that his top 16 credentials wont be lasting that long anyway if he doesn't improve quickly & that it was unlikely he would endanger anyone at the crucible.

Not being mean for the sake of being mean, as I said, he was my one to watch this season & all I saw was anti-climaxes.

I think he suffers from nerves. Not suffer as in it being a crippling condition, I just think it's the usual snooker vertigo that will always effect some players. He's still relatively young and I still think he'll win a prestigious tournament at some point, but at this point in time I think lots of experience and aging is the only thing that'll help propel him further and help him hold back the vertigo a bit. Maybe someone who'll shine more in their mid to late 20s - which is much more common.

Some good points there